I think we now may own a dubious distinction

I would take it a step further. Reaching the final 4 in any era is an accomplishment not to be denegrated. When it was a 16 or even 32 team tournament, it was harder to even qualify. I remember where the ACC champion of the tournament was the only guaranteed spot. There were a lot more one bid leagues and a lot more independent schools, including UH. We were an independent when we qualified in 67 and 68.

Until 1975, the tournament only allowed 1 bid per conference.

Oscar Robertson never won a NCAA championship at Cincinnati. Cincinnati won both its titles in early 1960s when Big O was in NBA.

Ah, I see.

My mistake. Was making assumptions!

Looks as though they made Final Fours with the Big O, but the Natties came just after that!

Just looking at the game scores. They beat Ohio St. in the Finals both years. Guess the state of Ohio had it going on in the early 60’s.

Everyone has their preference, but I would take 6 Final Fours and no championship than only one Final Four and winning the championship that year. We’d by considered a program like Loyola [1963) and Texas Western (1966) if we had only one Final Four appearance.
We already won the most significant college basketball game ever played. Game of the Century. Elvin Hayes-led Houston 71-69 over UCLA and Lew Alcindor, greatest college basketball player alltime.
People nationally still talk about the Game of the Century. Who remembers Loyola winning in 1963? besides hard-core fans.

2 Likes

Yeah, I got it.

Just like who remembers LeSalle’s national title with Tom Gola?

Not saying we shouldn’t be proud of our six Final Fours. Absolutely we should! That number alone makes us the best “basketball” school in TX by a wide margin (no other TX school has more than three, to the best of my knowledge).

Still, let’s get over that hump soon, and move into the ranks of the national champions! I want that “you’ve never won a national title” monkey off our backs!!!

uhlaw97.
That’s a logical assumption. I was same way for years.
I knew Oscar Robertson was great and around that time Cincinnati won two NCAA championships. I was completely surprised he wasn’t on those teams.
I’ve heard announcers say the 1983-84 Virginia Cavaliers were led by Ralph Sampson when he was by then on the Rockets.

MVC was best Conf back in early 60’s for Basketball.

1 Like

As UH fans, we all know it’s just so hard to win a national championship in basketball. There’s about 50-80 teams like us that want the same thing and put in the money and resources as well.
That’s why I celebrate every Final Four.
You don’t think Texas and Texas A&M wouldn’t trade places with us this year?
As well as Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Michigan State, Louisville, Syracuse, Michigan. And the list goes on.

2 Likes

Luck impacts college basketball’s postseason more than any other major sport’s postseason. The sheer number of teams that make the tournament, combined with the fact that every game is just a 1 off rather than a series, creates for an unparalleled amount of upsets. Sometimes luck is on your side, sometimes it isn’t. I think because of that tournament success should never be the sole goal/expectation for a program. Having goals grounded in the regular season, where there variance is much lower, is important. Winning conference should be the first goal every year. After that its making the tournament and then progressing weekend to weekend. 2nd in conference, conference tourney champs, and a trip to the FF is an amazing season. Once we get around to next year though, the expectations need to scale back. As coach always says, last year’s team has no bearing on this year’s team.

2 Likes

No one makes the Final Four by luck. You have to win 4 games to get there. Sure there might be a game last like Saturday nite the was won by a miraculous shot but they had to win 3 games and play a very competitive fourth to get to that point

1 Like

If you thought I was in anyway trying to discredit our run, you completely missed the point of my post.

You wouldn’t trade losing that game and beating UCLA in the Final Four to lead to a championship?

If you except the John Wooden era UCLA is 1-7 in The Final Four.

In the PAC 12 conference Oregon has a 1930’s Title. Arizona has a 1997 National Title. That is it for the entire Conference. Only UCLA has been a power.

It ain’t easy, as Coach Sampson said.

Left off Stanford 1942 and Cals 1959 titles.

Oops I did.

In past 62 seasons Arizona has a Title. No one else but The Bruins.

1 Like

It dont come easy

Ringo Starr.

1 Like

Actually Cincinnati never won a title with the Big O, although they made several final fours. They won their titles after he left. Which is why he got the reputation for being a stat collector and a non winner before he got his only chip playing with Lew Alcindor (aka Kareem Abdul Jabbar) with the Milwaukee Bucks. Crazy I know.