I watched Tramon Mark play last night

Agree what a stretch to start calling him a 1 and done.
But I also don’t see him like Hinton other than having good success his fr season. Hinton came in with a defensive reputation and an offense as a work in progress, whereas Mark will be a developed offensive game and a work in progress on defense/rebounding.
How much he contributes and we need him will depend on if Grimes/Jarreau return.

1 Like

Hey Johnny I grew three inches in my junior year and another inch as a senior.

Exactly. If we stay intact at guard, may even just lose Grimes, I think coach may look to red shirt him to develop his strength and defense.

I don’t see any way that we end up redshirting Mark. He’s too good not to have on the court.

2 Likes

Not comparing to Hinton, just saying he has a chance to put up Hinton type numbers offensively coming off the bench. The kid has lots of tools and I think he will surprise you with his defense…especially after coach gets a hold of him…

There will be zero reason to red shirt Tramon Mark. He may or may not be one and done but he won’t be playing college ball very long.

2 Likes

I think it all depends on his defense and what the returning guards are doing for us. It’s well known that if a guy can’t defend he won’t play for Sampson.

CoogLawyer - you’re correct, there is no way we are going to redshirt Mark next season unless he had somehow gotten hurt and just had not fully recovered enough to be able to play.

And I could see us playing 3 deep at some positions next year - which should allow us to play with intense defensive effort for a full 40 minutes. And then again, there are the game-by-game opponent match-ups for which CKS has shown he will alternate position players. I can forsee us playing with 3 or 4 guards in the game at the same time next season.

1 Like

I only thing I know about redshirting is the one I wear to support the Coogs! Good to see the nice recruiting by Sampson & Co

Yes, historically top level teams like Duke & Kentucky & North Carolina are able to play 11-12 top level talents each season. It seems that it’s now becoming a new thing for UH & our fans.

1 Like

True,
As we Coogs see this happening ,we have to raise our bar on redshirting . That is higher and higher rated recruits are going to get the “old redshirt” . It is a wonderful problem to have to get used to .
Go Coogs !

1 Like

Redshirting a recruit this highly ranked isn’t going to happen unless there is an injury involved. Guys in the top 75 are coming to play right away.

4 Likes

I mostly agree,the exception being that their out of district schedule was pretty darn salty. Lancaster has hung two of the losses on The Gators, Summer Creek is also highly rated. Not real sure about district teams. Like you, I like his aggressive toughness and his pure talent. It’s a given that Coach Sampson will make him the best he can be…or better.
Future is very bright indeed. Go Coogs!

1 Like

@uh2020
You’ve said this before.

#cantwait

@JohnnyCougar

One and done ?

Don’t make me Chris Carter…C’mon man!!

A lot of our fans can’t wait what the Class of 2021 will bring… But the 2020 class is the best I’ve seen in a while on paper, slightly better than the House class. Difference is on the big men… I take Powell over Izundu.

2 Likes

If he has a season impressive enough to be a one and done, I think we will all be satisfied with how the team’s season went.

2 Likes

I just asked him. He says he’s 6’5.

4 Likes

Izundu was a very raw prospect. I don’t think there is any comparison to Powell.
But really I just trust the type of recruits Sampson brings into the program.
Saying that, Powell is going to have some great remodels to show him the culture of this program.
Mark is going to be an offensive weapon when he arrives. No one better to learn from than Hinton and Grimes and/or Jarreau.
Shead will have some stiff competition each day in practice his first season on campus.

If Grimes comes back.