Idea on how to have UH football this year

This is the ripple effect.

You own a bar (or any other business) across the street from campus in a college town.

What do you do now?

You are finished, your employees are finished, your landlord and suppliers may be in serious trouble as well.

We worry about football here because this is a football forum. This is real life to tens of millions.

3 Likes

Very sad. I really, really hate to see this.

1 Like

I know how college administrators think.

I am going to say this as clean as I can say it.

Adjuncts are going to get the short end of the stick on this one. Guaranteed as the sun rising tomorrow.

2 Likes

Cali pulled the trigger on classes and football.
Not talking about right/wrong, health, etc.
All Iā€™m saying is that this sadly might be the first domino to end NCAA football this season.

Thereā€™s actually a loophole that PAC-12 Presidents are using. Campus just needs to be partially open. So, this doesnā€™t change anything.

Itā€™s also laughable to be cancelling anything in September right now. Weā€™re not even into the middle of May.

3 Likes

So it is not ok to be in a lecture hall but it is ok to be in a locker room or team meeting with a hundred people.

I donā€™t really have a take on either. My only take is that it is laughable to be cancelling anything in September right now. That is all.

1 Like

My world. Lost most my summer classes so far, and now some rumors of bad news for the fall with some local community collegesā€¦

edit: I fully support opening the schools in at least a hybrid format.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen this. Cal State did say they would not have classes in fall but i heard nothing anout the majors you mentioned

Just read in the Chronicle that two of the federal governments top health officials (Dr. Fauci and Dr. Redfield) predicted dire consequences if the nation reopened the economy too soon. ā€œIf we do not respond in an adequate way when fall comes there will be infections that will be in the community, then we run the risk of a resurgence.ā€

IMO just donā€™t see how Universities will open campuses which translates into no athletes on campus = no football.

The Cal and Cal State systems didnā€™t cancel in person classes per se, but it was indicated it was almost certain. I guess they have to allow some wiggle room for mental gymnastics down the road.

No matter what, not looking good for the Pac 12 this year. And if thatā€™s the case it might not start looking good for the AAC either.

The SEC says it is going to have football this season. So substitute for Wash State with a SEC opponent or two. Likely playing on the road but probably a good payout and more pub for whoever we play in the conference

1 Like

This was a news item on our 6pm news (PST). Newsome announced that the State schools would not have on campus classes this Fall. Donā€™t know if it is his call/legal or whatever, just passing on what was on the news out hereā€¦
And to make this announcement (either way) here in May seems premature at bestā€¦

Waiting on a vaccine for:

HIV
Ebola
Zika
West Nile

Hell, the flu vaccine doesnā€™t work that well.

Donā€™t hold your breath for a successful vaccine

9 Likes

Bingo. Iā€™m in the same boat as you are here.

I donā€™t think weā€™ll ever get one. Itā€™s time to adapt now.

If we keep playing the Vaccine game, this is what will happen.

This fall: weā€™re getting close to a vaccine. Almost there. Letā€™s just push the season to the Spring.

This Spring: 99% done. Almost there. Just cancel the season. Weā€™ll be ready to go for the Fall.

Fall of 2040: Weā€™re on the two yard line. to the 1 or 2 schools that still even exist

1 Like

There will be a much clearer picture in a couple months. Letā€™s see how pro sports handle things this summer and of course we have to figure out if this virus will continue spreading fast June through August.

Right now I think the worst case scenario is games will go on with no fans. If that is the case, the NCAA would be smart to try to subsidize the G5 to get through no home game revenue. Would the P5 agree to give up a million a piece in tv revenue to make sure a full college football season goes on? Probably not, but the NCAA could try something like that.

1 Like

This is where I am at as well. Itā€™s going to be dangerous to put false hopes into a Vaccine.

It wonā€™t be just football, if we donā€™t start adapting now, you will see times similar to the Great Depression all around the world. You cannot just keep printing money. In addition, Fauci and Redfield have contradicted themselves on several occasions.

1 Like

You are in the same boat?

We are ALL in the same boat.

We donā€™t have enough life preservers. We donā€™t have a paddle. The skipper is Captain Hazelwood.

We are all in the same STORM but we are in different boatsā€¦

3 Likes