If I told you we give up 20 Points

The OC needs to go.

The offense has played 7 of the bottom 30 Scoring Defensesā€¦digest that for a minute.
Rice
Texas Tech
SMU
Tulsa
Memphis
East Carolina
Arizona
ā€¦are all ranked from 99 to 129

3 Likes

And still weā€™re only 65th in scoring offense

2 Likes

Wow

I would say our chances would be 50/50.

Thatā€™s the point. The defense on the other hand has faced 5 of top 26 Scoring offensesā€¦Memphis, Arizona, SMU, USF and Texas Tech. And in each case held them below their avg.

1 Like

Tulane dominated time of possession and converted a boatload of 3 and longs. When we finally took the lead, it took them all of one minute to expose our corners who kept playing 7-8 yards off the receivers for most of the game.

Their qb couldnā€™t throw a decent pass when he was forced out of the pocket. But he didnā€™t have to throw much on the run because he would just run for the first down while our linebackers had turned their backs. Bottom line, we were outcoached on both sides of the ball. 6-4 in this conference is not good however you slice it.

3 Likes

We can win giving up 20 points in this conferenceā€¦we canā€™t win in this conference scoring 17. Memphis , UCF, SMU and USF are all in top 16 Scoring offenses. Our 1st 6 offensive drives produced 3 points. Besides FG, 2 punts , fumble, TO on downs, interception. We finally scored TD after being handed ball at Tulane 23 after D got turnover. Should we score more than 3 points in 6 possessions vs Tulane? Nobody was crying about TOP vs East Carolina when we scored twice on 1 play drives and another on a 2 play drive. Everyone was so excitedā€¦thought That was gonna happen every weekā€¦wait East Carolina was worst defense in countryā€¦many forgot to factor that in

1 Like

If youā€™re talking total defense, actually Tulsa is worst in the country.
ECU is 3rd worst
Tulane is 101st in total defense and 116th in rushing defense so donā€™t pretend that we were going against even an average defense

Defense gets a D+, and offense gets F-

2 Likes

How do we know what kind of OC we having with Major making all the calls. We all know his play calling is pathetic (run up the middle on 4th down with a fast QB like King who could have walked into the end zone). The DC coordinator does know how to make game changes and if is HE who still has his DBā€™s play 10 to 15 yards off the receivers, he should be fired.

Iā€™m talking about scoring defense. At time we played ECU I believe they were last #129ā€¦they are currently #128 after holding Cincy to 20 this week.
Regarding Tulaneā€¦Iā€™m not sure what your talking about. Iā€™m
Being critical of the offense, so Iā€™m not pretending Tulane is a good defense. My point was that some here thought we were going to score 50 per game after ECUā€¦I didnā€™t. We had receivers running uncovered all over the field vs ECU. Donā€™t get me wrong, King is a great talent and Iā€™m excited to watch him develop. His inexperience showed on 2 plays in particular.

1. The pick in end zoneā€¦Tulane tricked him. He thought was getting man but they gave him zone. He had hitch uncovered underneath.
  2. 4th and 2 last driveā€¦we are running double slants to left. They are playing press man and ILB to that side showing B gap blitz. He needs read himā€¦which he didnā€™t. He had the outside slant. ILB dropped right in front inside slant. He predetermined where he was going it looked like
1 Like

Weā€™re probably making the same point. Iā€™m just saying we scored against a bad ECU defense, but while Tulaneā€™s defense isnā€™t as bad as ECU, itā€™s still very bad and we should score more than we did

1 Like

Pretty good analysis Manster54. How much of #2, was due to King being 5ā€™10" with his shoes on? I was thinking he just didnā€™t see the guy.

Come on guysā€¦

ā€¦CMA is da man !

The reality is that the play call before was terrible. They showed the same front as when they stopped us on downs in the first half. How do you run a draw up the middle when they have everyone coming and hold a 7-6 manpower advantage.
Go with a read option look with an RPO. Make the D commit to multiple plays.

An offense doesnā€™t need linemen to blow people back to win on every play. Sometimes you can outsmart your opponent. Sometimesā€¦

2 Likes

The ILB lined up on line of scrimmageā€¦over the guard. On snap he dropped in front of inside slant. LB was standing at losā€¦height not an issue

Your right. I thought the same thing. We had 3rd and 1. We rushed to line of scrimmage to hurry and they got big time penetration. We had 2 plays to make a yard if we took our time. I think they realize we are bad in short yardage and think only way we can get is catch them not lined up

1 Like

Ever notice how on short yardage plays, we try to hurry up and we are the onens that do not seem to be ready.

CMAā€¦get rid of the hurry up !!

1 Like

Major isnā€™t making the calls and has said as much throughout the season. Heā€™s mentioned on a few occasions of having to talk to the OC in order to give his input on what heā€™s seen during the game. Johnson is the one making the play calls during the game.