If it's Frisco Bowl

It depends on if the unaffiliated bowl slot would provide the conference with more money. If so, the conference has been willing to allow teams to go to those bowls.

Independence Bowl pays out 1.2M which is quite a bit more than what other bowls pay.

1 Like

Independence Bowl vs FSU crosses fingers

2 Likes

I talked with a top SMU official over the weekend and he wants the Frisco Bowl due to proximity and cost savings. They wouldn’t lose money on that bowl. Also, isn’t the AAC based in DFW area or maybe SMU has connections with bowl head for what that’s worth.

Do bowl expenses get reimbursed by the conference? Is the school on the hook for the allotment? I think we could make money on the Independence Bowl and maybe Birmingham. Not sure that others would work out well. Hawaii would be a money loser for every AAC school, except maybe Navy but they’re already committed.

I think it’s still in Providence RI but there have been rumors of a future move to Dallas for a couple of years

NTXCoog is correct, AAC is in Providence RI, it is the mis-named B12 that is in Dallas.

Correct. CUSA HQ was in Dallas.

“The American Athletic Conference serves its membership from a state-of-the-art office located in Providence, Rhode Island. The location of the conference headquarters - just steps from the city’s Amtrak station and 10 minutes from T.F. Green International Airport - gives the conference easy access to its member schools. The conference headquarters also serves as the home of the American Digital Network, which provides live coverage of all 21 conference championships.”

Would Frisco want SMU? I know our attendance isn’t outstanding but unless things have changed SMU is pretty poor. I’ve been to games at Ford where we outnumbered them. And, they won’t take up many Hotel Rooms. It would be a drive over, go to the game, and leave with SMU. That’s not what Bowl committee’s look for really? Then again I’m not sure Cougar Fans would flock to Frisco either. I’m guessing Frisco it is for us though.

1 Like

Cool, it’s in Providence. Sean Johnson, the exec chair of the Frisco Bowl, started in July and is connected to Mike Pede but they both worked in collegiate sports marketing about the same time. Sean at UNM and Mike at Rice (and UH?).

Anyway, my point is that Frisco is one of the lowest payout bowls. If SMU is willing to take it, and may actually be advocating for it, I think the AAC gives it to them.

The payout doesn’t matter unless the conference can trade a team up to a higher paying bowl that we aren’t normally affiliated with. All the money goes to the conference and then is redistributed evenly to the teams after travel allowances are removed.

SMU rarely goes to bowls so they could get a decent group. However, they travel poorly for road games to TCU and UNT.

I’m not sure how much the hotel and restaurant component matters. The bowl would ideally like strong out of town followings (like Kansas State) but will take a full stadium with good TV ratings. Does an OOT following help secure hotel and restaurant partners?

This SMU guy was touting the cost savings but could be misinformed about expense allocation. I’d think many would like the Hawaii Bowl for the team and band experience except that you want Cougar Pride points to actually count for something. At least with a bowl with lots of UH fans, the CP points give you better seats.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised by the crowd. Factor in that the students did not show up in force due to holidays and record, I could easily see where if we had beaten Tulane, we may have approached closer to 35K. We both remember a day where we would have been looking at 10 - 12K for that last game after a loss to Tulane and playing to be 6-5 or 7-4.