I'm for CTO w/ clarification of false accusations

No denying that; I bought it hook, line and sinker.

And after all the stuff me and my guys did for him and the team over the last two years, I want someone that won’t boldface lie to my face with a F’n smile and tell me about honesty and loyalty to the man next to him. If our next guy isn’t all that relatable but can win games, people will show up. BTW, Orlando isn’t a much of an introvert as some of y’all are making him out to be, very smart and well spoken guy. He’s just not all Kardashian like the former coach.

2 Likes

100% agree. I too fell for his act. As fake as it was, he succeeded in getting a big, bright, shining spotlight firmly planted on UH, which has been very good for us. But, winning cures all ills and the best way to put all of Herman’s crap behind us is to win and keep winning. With Riley out of the mix now, my support is fully behind Orlando getting the job.

If Orlando is an introvert, I really would not worry about that aspect of him. Introverts seem to do quite well as CEOs, and, presumably, as Head Coaches.

See: Why Introverts Might Be Better CEOs

1 Like

Very good points. I tried to stay away from the rumor stuff because I think most of the complaints I heard about CTO was that he blew those three games. First off Herman was the HC so it should be on him from a coaching stand point, but I thought statistics from the game were telling about who was to “blame” for the lack of better words.

I agree! I was yelling about him all year. I think it was him and not the scheme. Memphis really exploited him and picked on him all day. You didn’t see the other corners get beat anywhere as much as he did.

1 Like

With Lincoln gone, i’m down to Orlando and Kiffin, with the nod to Kiffin.

It’s been said before. Orlando has been a very successful DC, not something that could be said for Tony L, so please stop the comparisons. Orlando could be our Gary Paterson.

I won’t be upset with Applewhite, provided he brings in a high quality OC and DC and is the CEO.

I want nothing to do with Miles.

To you and Chris, I don’t think the bling was the thing. It attracted the media but it was an offense that rang the bell that put people in the seats. Go back to the days of Sumlin and Keenum. Remember the fans shouting “First down”? UH fans want exciting offense. I remember the veer running up 400 yards a game back in the day when 250 was a good day. It blew people’s minds and attracted tons of attention. And that’s why Phi Slama Jama was such a hit back in the days when all the really “good” coaches were running the Four Corner Offense and putting people to sleep.

Now will UH fans come out for a 12 and 0 season? Sure they will. But that is not going to capture the imagination of the broader public, the so-called T-shirt fans. They come to see the circus. Without them we tap out at around 35,000 fans and we have 50 years of history to back that up. Check the archives going back into the 70s. Could I be wrong? Maybe, but I have a fair degree of certainty with this one.

Winchester is a very smart, dedicated player. Anything he may lack in skill he makes up with being smart. Corner is hard and few teams have lock down corners on both sides. Also, our defense is built on blitzing and can burn the corners. Also seems our conference mates were better at picking up the blitzes which puts more pressure on the corner.

Long way of saying it’s partly scheme, partly skill but I don’t think it’s a systemic breakdown or Winchester being terrible.

I think CTO or CMA would be good choices. I like that CTO has a down to earth, business-man like vibe; very Gary Pattersonish. Patterson wasn’t really a huge name, had only been in Texas for 3 years when hired as the head guy, and didn’t have much experience at P5 schools. He also seems like a guy that may be loyal if you’re loyal to him. Biggest worry is the staff he’d be able to put together, but our talent should attract good coordinators.

CMA probably should have been a head coach already and he probably would have without the incident at Texas. He had a ton of success as a player, has a ton of experience as an OC at good programs, and is well-connected in Texas. Major probably wouldn’t have a problem putting together a good staff from Texas. Concern about Major would be if he had success, he’d probably be more likely to leave.

Both are good choices; I’d be happy with either.