I'm Stepping Away For A While

Not walking away. This is when the players need you the most to pick them up when they are down. Every coach we have had at UH has had the WTF game some more than others. Even some we consider great. Yes we can be critical and hope that changes are made hopefully we get a new Defense Coordinator and Briles learns from this.

2 Likes

We’re 7-2 and still in the driver’s seat in our division for the Conference Championship Game. We play an exciting brand of football (Saturday night not-withstanding) and still have a chance.

Realize that last week, these ranked teams lost to unranked teams:

• Virginia lost to Pitt
  • Mizzou got skunked by Florida
  • Utah lost to Arizona State
  • Purdue knocked off Iowa
  • Auburn beat the Aggies

The week before was even worse which was why we went from unranked to 17th in the two polls. Bad losses happen to every school except Alabama and Clemson these days. The thing is, those schools still have 40K+ or more in the stands every week.

This is what Coach Sampson means when he says to come watch your team play. Stop worrying about our place in the college football world, and just show up to the games. If we could fill TDECU every week, P5’s would be salivating about adding us. Instead, we draw 30K if we’re lucky right now as a 7-2 team, and P5’s laugh at us. If we can’t even draw our own, how are we gonna convince the casual Houstonian to come out. How are we going to convince the better recruits to stay home and play here when we play in a 3/4th full stadium in one of the bigger match-ups of the year.

I get it, it hurts to lose. But, we’ve all been there over the years. That’s why there’s a saying, “Coog’d it”. But there’s also another saying, “True we’ll ever be.” Show up, be loud, keep the faith and Go Coogs.

17 Likes

T shirt fans dont want to watch USF or Tulane

They show up for the OU’s and the Tech’s of the world

And they’re the same ones complaining loudest when we don’t beat the USF’s and Tulane’s of the worlds. Sorry, got to show up for your school if you want to get better results, better recruits, and better coaches.

5 Likes

trust me, anyone posting on this board is not a T-Shirt Fan…

1 Like

I don’t know, but when a guy says he’s stepping away because of our terrible 7-2 team, I wonder just what kind of fan that is. Maybe he’s like the players on teams that quit when they get behind. It’s a good thing our players aren’t like that and fight to the end, win or lose. It’s easy to ride a bandwagon on a smooth street. When we’re down is when we need to rally behind the team. I’ll be there Saturday night and the following Thursday – as I always am.

You know, we lost to Louisville at the Rob some years back. It was pouring and it was miserably cold. But I stayed to the very end and sang the alma mater. The words mean something to me and I’ll be damned if I will let losing a couple of games – or all of them, for that matter – dampen my support.

14 Likes

Could be but there are a lot of Hermanites (fans as a result of 2015 hype) that are irate at any sign of weakness or possible failure and are only onboard as long as the National Spotlight is on the team. Teams are going to have disappointing losses (see ODU vs. Va Tech). I don’t want it to be an annual occurrence like it seems to be these days but most programs go through it. [Note to UH Coaches: don’t poke fun at the private school in Dallas that is happy to get to 7 wins].

2 Likes

Exactly lol

Come on man. You are going to walk away from a 7-2 team that can still win a championship? Really?

2 Likes

I think it’s the fact that everyone had eyes set on an NY6, and when we lose that opportunity it hurts.

We are just passing the midway of conference play, and all that the media cares about is playoffs and bowl games. ESPN could care less about Conference championships.

Quote: But we’re a basketball school now!

Or are we a baseball school?

1 Like

Championship?? Lol, this team gave up 45 to POO, Mem and UCF will score 60.

There are a lot of good teams that lose more than one game. SMU barely lost to Cinci and Cinci just smoked Navy. We still have most of our goals ahead of us if we can take care of business. Need to bounce back against Temple.

2 Likes

That loss hurt like **ll but I will be back in the stands come Saturday yelling my lungs out loud as ever (at least while we’re on defense) and as always, will stay until after the alma mater is played. ‘Stepping’ away from the team is just unacceptable. If you want to be big-time, you need to act like it and support our team, win or lose.

Go Coogs! #YAWOOCOUGARFOOTBALL!

7 Likes

I will be there like I have always been. Cougar football is my passion (other than the important things in life). Is it frustrating and maddening at times? Sure but that is part of the fun.

2 Likes

Best post of the weekend Pray. I’ll pile on.

Hope to see you all at the Basketball AND Football games on Saturday. Lick your wounds. Choke down your pride. Be at the games to support your team and your future fellow alumni. No matter the record, no matter the opponent, no matter your feelings about the coaches. Just be there and be loud.

True we’ll ever be. Go Coogs! 1-0. Beat the living hell out of Temple!

3 Likes

I can almost guarantee you that those players and coaches did not have NY6 as their first priority.

“Everybody” needs to get over themselves! We’re heavily invested fans and it can hurt when our team loses, but think about how OUR players feel about the loss. Eff the media and ESPN. “Everybody” should think more about how OUR players are going to feel coming out of that tunnel on Saturday!

2 Likes

IMHO . . . . . Some years ago, a group of co-workers would travel to South Texas on several weekends for some “dove” hunting. I once asked a co-worker if he thought the doves would be flying during the upcoming weekend. He told me if he could foresee lots of doves, it would be more like “murder” instead of “hunting” . . . . . I look at football games the same way. If we were guaranteed to be the winning team each week, I would not bother to attend. I have always liked contests instead of walkovers . . . . . It’s the question of winning or loosing that creates the interest . . . . .

1 Like

If I can sit in the stadium and watch the Cougars lose the 11th of 11 games in one season to go 0 - 11 I can show up to watch the Cougars when they are 7 - 2.

4 Likes

Was there with you. So glad those years are in the past, hopefully never to be seen again.

2 Likes