IMO, it looks like Miles is our next coach

Jenkins and Miles would be something else.

2 Likes

I’m good with either Miles or Kiffin. I prefer Kiffin, but I’m flexible. If the admin believe Miles is better, I’ll go along with it.

If Miles can recruit anywhere close to what he did at LSU, we’ll be OK.

1 Like

Lincoln Riley is a candidate, young, ambitious & football smart.

1 Like

Just my educated guess:::

1. Lane Kiffin - If he really wants the job and shows commitment to it, it’s his. This hire has Tilman Fertitta written all over it, if it comes to fruition. Large buyout of at least 5 to 6 million dollars.

2. Lincoln Riley - Next up and comer, very young (33) offensive-coordinator from Oklahoma. Great at game planning and seems very studious of the game. Very good in creating mismatch problems and exploiting an opponent’s defensive weakness. Would he (Riley) be interested on a large buyout stipulation at UH ?!!

2A. Les Miles - Excellent recruiter, but would need to get an excellent offensive-coordinator to run his new implemented spread offense. Has one last good run left. Safe choice and would be a solid hire. His teams would be tough & physical.

Todd Orlando & Major Applewhite are not included on this list because they both are already hired by UH and pretty much know what they bring to the table. Other hires that are long shots right now are Neal Brown and Blake Anderson.

A lot of things can drastically change all of a sudden, but that is how I look at things right now.

The Big 12 is also full of goofy offenses.

I’m comparing the STATEMENT made by one prospective coach with the STATEMENT made by another prospective coach. Prospective coaches say all kinds of things that may or may not reflect their true intentions. And they probably mean them when they make these claims. Sort of. Hope that helps

Didn’t our little team of 2 and 3 star athletes coached by Major Applewhite and Todd Orlando beat Lincoln Riley’s team of 4 and 5-star athletes? Just asking

1 Like

Let’s not exaggerate the talent difference to make a point. We actually had the only 5 star on the field that day. They had mostly 4 star recruits and we had mostly 3 star recruits. Should we be hiring Memphis’ or SMU’s coordinators to make your point though?

1 Like

It’s gonna be Miles or Kiffen. No need to need to argue stars versus OU. I’m Pretty Sure UH was over 10 point underdog in that matchup.

Lol. You’re forgetting that 5 - star beast, who was a Top 5 player coming out of high school (Ed Oliver) and Greg Ward who is a freak of nature with his cat like quickness combine with his speed.

Can’t penalized Riley just because he lost versus UH this past season. If anything, it was coach Herman who out coach, coach Stoops.

Go back and check last year’s recruiting. OU had TEN -TEN- 4 and 5 star recruits in a Top 10 recruiting class. And they do that almost every year, year in and year out. It’s actually one of the reasons OU is so afraid of UH getting into the Big 12. They justifyably fear we would put a severe dent in their recruiting. We might do it anyway.

We got all excited because our class came in at #30. But most of our players this year came from previous classes. 3 stars is not always 3 stars. Check also to see if they are nationally ranked by one or more of the services. And we played a few 2-star guys as well.

So there is no exaggeration here. Yes we had the one gem in the whole group with Ed Oliver. He picked up a ton of slack. Oliver would have stood out on any team, including OU. I don’t think Herman will have an Ed Oliver at UT. He will miss that.

But you miss my point. UH hasn’t had a class ranked below 50 in a very long time. But that doesn’t mean we have no talent. Typical UH. We DEVELOP our talent. Remember, Case Keenum wasn’t recruited by anyone other than UH. That would be just another factoid if it weren’t so typical.

Schools like OU and UT recruit their talent. (For what its worth UT’s class ranked #7.) And that is all about our coaches and staff. Moreover we’ve been doing this for all the 50 years I have followed UH football.

So back to my point, lets give some credit to Applewhite and Orlando. They didn’t do it with mirrors.

I don’t have time right now to break down all the players on both sides but I assure you the recruiting rating disparity will be significant. But you are free to check it out on any recruiting site.

Love it!!!

Miles
Jenkins - Klingler - Phillips
Why the !@#$@NOT!!!
1993 was the last time there was such a combination. It is AMAZING to think that not one Run and Shoot or air raid offense has been able to have a a true defensive HC or Coach. I for one would absolutely love to see it. I wrote the same with Orlando as HC but Miles WILL get the greater Houston area recruit. Just think about defending against these offenses. Every single day they will practice against it or some form of it. Jenkins can run circle against the air raid offense and will surely give Miles every input needed.

That’s just down right scary to even contemplate. But if I were Tillman and Yurachek I would get a list of prospective OCs before I offer a contract. Do you think Jenkins would even consider a second run? Would Jimmy Klinger leave a cushy HS job for the “challenge” of becoming a college OC?

For the record, Jack Pardee was HC when Jenkins started as OC. Pardee was an All-Pro linebacker.

1 Like

It won’t happen, but having Hoss on the sideline again would make serious waves for us in college football.

Man, I forgot about Jimmy Klinger. I couldn’t figure out why people were mentioning Klinger before (thinking David) who has no coaching experience. Oops.

1 Like

INDEED it would. And we would win some games as well. The weakness both Jenkins and Briles had was neither paid a lick of attention to defense. They just planned to outscore the team they were playing. And for the most part that worked. Plus Jenkins needs to work for a strong HC. Helps control his impulsive nature. But with a strong.g defense - or any defense at all - Jugular John would be the scariest guy in college football. And UH would become a quarterback factory. But who needs that. Right?

Honest question
if Jenkins would be so scary coaching college football, then why is he not coaching now?

1 Like

God I hope we make a decision soon. Our fans are teetering on delusional.

3 Likes

That’s what fans do. A coaching decision will just change the topic.

3 Likes