In Search of Greatness

If you have Hulu, I would highly recommend this show. It gets into the minds of Wayne Gretzky, Jerry Rice, and Pele to show why they became great. What drove them, how they think. Really fascinating show.

They are very intelligent and interesting personalities. The show doesn’t patronize you, it is a psychological look into people who were great at what they did.

3 Likes

I don’t have Hulu, but that sounds fascinating.

I think I remember Jerry Rice saying “The fear of failure” is what drove him. Is that what he says in this show?

I would dig that show.

Yes but they go into great depth on how they think. They have interviews with psychiatrists who also bring insight into their minds.

They also bring in other great athletes like Michael Jordan and I didn’t realize this but he kept a mental file on every perceived slight he ever had from players or coaches. It is fascinating that he was driven by a sports illustrated cover one year in college when it showed four North Carolina players but not him. But that was just one of a litany of perceived slights. If those things drive you to cover up or be mean spirited you are paranoid. But if it drives you to perform it makes you Michael Jordan.

Serena Williams is also highlighted. Just fascinating. What you come away with as well is that Jerry Rice, Wayne Gretzky, Pele, Serena Williams and Michael Jordan are uberly driven by forces inside them but they are also uberly smart and incredibly creative.

Really interesting!

Awesome post Coog51. On the flip side it is very hard to coach and instill that same “desire” that you had. Wayne coaching the Coyotes must have been the very thing in sport that was impossible for him to comprehend.
“How can these players not have the same drive that I had” That is the question that every coach has to master no matter what sport you coach.