Interesting Twitter Poll from Duarte

Additionally, it probably tips off a FOIA request may be forthcoming on emails related to the hiring to see what kind of diligence was done. Why don’t he interview Kendall and ask how this has changed him and what he learned versus clickbait stuff.

Just because you don’t agree with a story doesn’t make it click bait. Click bait refers to catchy titles that attract a reader to the website but has no relevancy to the article.

But to reply to your comment on KB, maybe his lawyers advise against something like that or the university isn’t allowing it for similar reasons.

2 Likes

Facts. It’s sample and availability bias at it’s finest. The real question is, regardless of the results, who cares what people think? A handful of Alums will check the no-box, and show up to the games anyway. The rest probably won’t, aren’t donors, or never make it to the games. Either way, this “piece” that is in the works is of little consequence to the program. Unless it affects recruiting then we have an issue with defamation due to the spread of misinformation. It’s trivial in all reality.

1 Like

Yes. He can get to the same result indirectly by getting season ticket information (total available, total cancelled, total new purchases to get a net increase/decrease), factoring in those who email him to determine percentage lost due solely to this issue, and doing some simple math for overall impact. But phrasing it this way certainly seems biased to the negative. For instance, I’m willing to bet there are a bunch of people who will be buying season tickets because suddenly the team seems more interesting to watch because of this hire. Based only on the information JD has publicly requested, he’s not interested in determining that impact.

I have always considered JD to be a fair and unbiased media voice, but he certainly seems to have an agenda this time. I guess the piece will tell the tale.

4 Likes

Should UH consider taking away his credentials?

Maybe that’s a no win situation for us?

I wouldn’t unless the piece comes out and is a deliberate attempt to falsify information or skew information to make the university look bad. If it’s just bias, it will sort itself out. Revoking credentials is always going result in people presuming guilt, so I wouldn’t do it unless something very extreme warranted such action.

Maybe curve them. Start with disallowing the ability to take social media polls on divisive subjects, that are not conducive to the success of UH.

Take away his credentials, for what? Kendall Briles and the impact his hiring has on our fan base is a legitimate news story. If we didn’t want any controversy he shouldn’t have been brought aboard. Fact is everyone is going to have an opinion about this.
His job is not PR that’s the university’s job. The constant shrieking about how we’re not getting massaged by the chronicle is getting pathetic. And to go to, “If Duarte writes this negatively we should pull credentials” Is just a joke. It’d be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

7 Likes

hope he interviews KB and Dr Khator.

3 Likes

UH already manages its message. JD covers the UH beat for the Chronicle. He writes about our program, and gets news (like game summaries, hires, commitments, etc.) out to the public not following UH sports on fan boards. Whether or not we like it, the Briles hire has generated a lot of interest from the public, not all of which is positive. The effects of the hires on our fan base is an item of interest to the general public in light of not only the Baylor scandal, but the recent spate of sexual assault allegations (and confessions) in the entertainment industry.

If we don’t want any real coverage from the Chronicle or local media outlets at all, the best way to do that is to limit access by reporters as a result of something they write or broadcast. smh

This will never happen. At least not until all litigation is fully and finally resolved, and probably not even then. As an attorney, I can guarantee you KB has promised his attorneys he will not only not talk about what happened at Baylor, but won’t even admit publicly that he was ever employed by Baylor. He’s under a complete and comprehensive gag order until everything is laid to rest. If the litigation gets settled, there will be an iron-clad non-disclosure provision in the settlement agreement and we’ll probably never find out what really happened. At least not from KB.

1 Like

People are going to leave or renew or become new fans when the staff changes and or exciting recruits come in. Next story.

7 Likes

I am on the fence about the hire. KB’s alledged comments about white girls was in poor taste but I doubt that is the worst thing uttered and heard by coaches and players. I suspect the conversation about a player’s color choice is about Escalades at places like A&M and Texas. Those places will provide a smorgasbord of girls so the question about preference doesn’t need to be asked.

I have not seen any evidence that KB was directly involved with the incidents or any of the cover up. If that evidence comes out, KB needs to go. But until that point lets win.

I am on the fence because it remains to be seen if KB is worth the headaches.

1 Like

i answered his tweet and said i was delighted and increasing my tickets. I have NO problem jamming that down Duarte and the comical’s throat when they are doing nothing but attempting to denigrate the hire.

2 Likes

So according to his poll roughly 100 out of 500 people are not going to renew.

There is no way to tell that from the poll. A yes could be positive or negative.

2 Likes

Or it could mean the hires will negatively impact their support, but maybe not involving season tickets. The poll is so vague that it could just mean they won’t say nice things about UH on Twitter.

1 Like

Randy Harvey has never been a friend to the University of Houston…it’s chance for him to get another dig in whether it is warranted or not. BTW, I thought UH had a very detailed press release…did he not read it?

1 Like

Khator and everyone else should say nothing more than what was said when the hires where announced.

4 Likes

If more than a couple dozen people under 65 actually read the Chronicle, it may be of concern. Right now, it is just a hunt for headlines – even if you have to create one.

3 Likes