International FLAG football world championship

I kid you not!

This is a REAL thing!

It’s scheduled for Spain in 2021.

https://usafootball.com/media/8151/usa-football-announces-rosters-for-2021-u-s-men-s-and-women-s-flag-national-teams?fbclid=IwAR3ZIfyT3_hPasra1r_lsdnM8T7APJNZX6N5dOmLcmEhBZfH1MuOA7eCjvs

1 Like

When I was in high school, I knew someone who was an All American FLAG football. He was likely in his 30s so don’t know when or where he got that designation.

1 Like

Flag football is pretty big in the Spring area. Take a trip to The Farm League off Stuebner Airline on a weekday night and it is field after field of flag football under the lights. And the ages range from elementary school up to probably high school (although I am horrible at judging ages now).

3 Likes

Once upon a time, I was affiliated with a flag football team in Houston. One of the teams we played had a pretty good QB. His name is/was Scipio Spinks, if I remember correctly. Flag football is pretty competitive . . . . .

Scipio Spinks still the best-named Houston Astro of all-time. Even though he only won seven major league games.

2 Likes

It should be on ESPN , The Ocho ! :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

I played in an adult flag football league years ago, when I was in my early twenties. I was invited by my brother in law, a football coach. The team was made up of his friends in the coaching biz, all middle-aged guys. I figured they invited me because they needed some younger, faster blood. Baloney. I quickly realized I was only on the team as a favor to my brother in law. What those guys lacked in speed and quickness, they more than made up for in strategy. And yes, there is strategy in Flag Football. We won the league title (little thanks to me), beating teams made up of young studs. The championship game, we waxed a team of guys who had length and speed out the wazoo. It’s amazing how much the mental side of football–even flag football–matters.

3 Likes

I played Lawyer League flag football into my mid thirties. We had nighttime games at Memorial Park, which were very competitive, and unless you were a skill player in HS, totally unlike contact football.

One of my buds ran a down and out (he ran down, his knee went out)…really ugly. That was the moment I hung up my cleats…

Had great times playing FF in 70’s and 80’s. Played against some great players…Rusty Clark, Bob Naponic, and Mac Haik to name a few. The team I played on won state one year. Unfortunately, I was cut two years earlier for being exposed as what I was by Rusty, being a short, slow rusher. :sunglasses:. That sob would line up at about 10 yards deeper than anyone else in the league and still rifle it better that any others. I was never more frustrated or tired after playing against him.

The best team I played against was the NewBoys, QB’d by the recently deceased Steven “Rocket” Rosen, who became a prominent Houston attorney. They won nationals twice and I believe he is in the FF HOF.

Great memories of games and then meeting up at Otto’s BBQ afterwards.

2 Likes

Rocket was unbelievable…best FF QB we ever played against for sure.
Sadly, he fell ill with some terrible disease, not sure if he is still with us. Nice guy too…

Sadly, Rocket passed earlier this year after a long battle with ALS.

1 Like

That’s terrible. I had seen recent pictures of he and his family, and I knew he was very ill…
I choose to remember him at his best, making me look foolish trying to catch him…

UH flag football was huge for me and even as an alum. We had a team for 7 seasons. Super fun. I have noticed the way we played was different from most other leagues. The FF I have seen on TV was lame IMHO. No rushers, no blocking.

City of Austin had a “full contact” league a while back. No physical tackling (hence the flags)… but you could hands-on pass and downfield block.

2 Likes