Iowa HS record holder Mykenzie Leehy verbally commits to Houston

IOWA HS RECORD-HOLDER MYKENZIE LEEHY VERBALLY COMMITS TO HOUSTON
Mykenzie Leehy of Lewis Central High School in Council Bluffs, Iowa has verbally committed to the University of Houston and will begin in the fall of 2017.

Leehy’s best short course times come from her sophomore year. She broke the Iowa high school state record in the 100y freestyle at the 2014 IGHSAU State Swimming and Diving Championships going 50.40, and placed fourth in the 50 free with a personal-best 23.44. As a freshman she was a member of Lewis Central’s record-breaking 400 free relay.

Leehy’s best 50y free time would rank seventh on the Cougars’ all-time list, while her 100 free would be second. She would have scored in the top 8 of the women’s 100 free at the 2016 AAC Championships, and in the B finals of the 50 and 200 freestyle events.

1 Like

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/nhsca-announces-academic-all-americans/

Mykenzie Leehy (Iowa) competes in the sport of swimming at Lewis Central High School for coach Bruce Schomburg. She competes in the freestyle stroke and is a four-time state place winner, finishing 2nd as a freshman, 1st as a sophomore, 2nd as a junior and 1st a senior. Mykenzie has a 4.0 and is ranked #55 in her class. She will attend the University of Houston.

“I was on campus four or five days before classes started on the 21st,” she said. “Practice started the next day, and the first four days were going good. Then Friday morning classes got cancelled.”

Leehy says her dad was able to get her on one of the final flights back to Iowa.

“I didn’t know how long I was going to be in Iowa,” she said, “but it ended up being over a week. I came back here on Monday, and now we’re back at school, practicing and everything.”