Is a power 5 conference enough for us to get our Nick Saban/Bob Stoops?

Herman’s shtick won’t work in the NFL. The “love, love, we’re one big family &c.” thing is too transparently hokey at a level where everyone knows 40ish dudes get cut between the draft and the season opener. He also doesn’t get the recruiting advantage in the NFL that he does at the college level. He’s never coached a pro style offense, either. I could see some NFL team giving him a shot, but I cannot see him having success at that level.

1 Like

Herman is where he wants to be and he should be thankful that the Texas fans are really patient. He is currently 4-4 and I am sure the fans will give him a four or five years to build up to a 8-5 or 9-4 plus mid major bowl games each year. Just kidding. If he goes .500 this year he had better win the B12 championship next year or he will find out what a hot seat is.

2 Likes

If we were in a P5, the only schools I’d be worried about losing a head coach to are those that easily bring 100K fans per game.

2 Likes

Talked to an Iowa State alum yesterday and he is worried about loosing their coach. So we are not the only ones. He said they pay him about 1.2 million

It’s about $$$$$$.

It would be a big surprise if Matt Campbell is still at Iowa State next year. The $$$$ will come calling.

Campbell’s buyout is insane, something like $9 million after this year. I don’t think he’s moving.

The usual P5 raid of American coaches will continue this year. Scott Frost, Chad Morris, Mike Norvell, Ken Niumatalolo, and Charlie Strong might all be moving on.

Ken Niumatalolo is the least likely to go anywhere, he’s been HC at Navy for 10 years and was an assistant there years before that.

Can’t say that about the others however.

1 Like

I don’t think Ken Niumatalolo is going anywhere. Didn’t he turn down BYU?

1 Like

He turned down BYU in 2015, said it was a very hard decision. He had a son playing for BYU when he was offered the job and another that could join after he finished his 2 year mission.

$9 MM? Never would have imagined. Didn’t he come from Toledo? He has been at ISU 2(?) years now?

Very similar to Major’s contract. It’s not just us getting tired of being poached.

1 Like

Are you high? TU fans patient?

I read that ISU’s Campbell makes ~$2.1M + incentives this year with $100K annual increases. And reportedly his buy-out would be equal to his total remaining contract amount which is estimated at ~$2.2 + $2.3 + $2.4 + $2.5 = ~$9.4M. So, Yes that’s quite a boat-load of $$$.

1 Like

You did notice that I said I was just kidding, didn’t you? I also said that a .500 season this year and he had better win the conference next year or he would be on the hot seat.

BYU wanted him to run something other than the triple-option, he said no. They parted ways. Niumatalolo is a well-known Mormon and was BYUs top choice.

There has been some talk that Oregon State may go after Niumatalolo and that he may be interested because it’s a P5 job. Supposedly, he was a finalist for the Cal job last year.

The coaching poaching is going to be interesting this year. Florida and Nebraska are the big dogs but by no means the only ones.

Yep, I heard on the radio yesterday that close to half of the sec schools might be looking for head coaches-atm, Florida, ole miss, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee at a minimum and who knows of South Carolina wants to pull the trigger on muschamp after two years

He also left us because he was tired of our bogus probation. Remember when Andre won the Heisman? We were not on TV. This would be impossible today. NOBODY saw us play all season. He knew that the next few seasons would look bleak.
The ncaa probation aided by uta and atm had the effect that they wanted (uta/atm) Our program went into oblivion. Our then administration hated football and wanted to kill the program. This is why we ended up in C-USA and the AAC today.
The SWC was a P5 conference.

1 Like