Is this the darkest Coog football has been?

Was the 0-11 season worse?

2 Likes

There have been many seasons worst than this. The 0-11 was certainly one of them. The worst is when you watch a team quit on a coach. I have seen that a few times and it is ugly. This team doesn’t quit.

The thing about this season, is that there is a communicated long-term plan, something everyone has been complaining about for a long time. If this is what it takes to get us to a good place, I won’t complain too much during the process.

The plan, as I understand it, is too get a quality mature team from redshirting, developing, and transfers. So far it looks like we can get 4* and 5* quality thru transfers. Very cool. We ain’t getting them very often thru regular recruiting.

So it will be interesting to watch how this plays out. I like the plan, but I don’t know anything.

16 Likes

The late 90s, early 2000s and 2012 were worse

3 Likes

Not really! We haven’t had the WTH games. Most of our losses were to good teams. Tulane was basically a coin flip.

There may have been a chance for this season to be .500, but us having this type of season next year. Feel like Holgerson called it and made this the tough year to rebuild off of. Only time will tell.

I literally snorted when I read the title of this. Hell, 0-11 wasn’t even the “darkest”. That would be the first 3 years under Helton with 4 total wins and the ending of the SWC with UH being left out of the B12.

That was dark. This… This Is Nothing - Wag the Dog - YouTube

15 Likes

You young’ uns haven’t seen dark.

24 Likes

True dat. I went to UH from 1997 to 2001 and have been a fan ever since.
This isn’t fun, but an off year here or there is paradise in comparison to the Helton-Dimel years.

16 Likes

Yes, there have been far worse. After the '84 season it was a 4-7 '85 and in 1986 we won a single game. Pardee’s first year was not very spectacular. Others commented on what an abortion Kim Helton was. His only decent year was 1999 at 7-5 with a win at LSU.

2 Likes

There has been far far worse. We are not lost in the football wilderness, we are not shackled with antiquated facilities. We have a proven coach. And we have lots of recent success to build upon.

16 Likes

Remember in 2000 when we had an announced attendance of 3,006 for Louisville? Or the Tulane game of 2002 when we all had to enter Robertson Stadium multiple times using different tickets so as not to fall under the NCAA attendance threshold?

Those were truly dark times. This season is a disappointment, but nothing compared to those days.

14 Likes

In my opinion, 2001 was worse. This season, Defense is the worse I have ever seen.

1 Like

…and at North Carolina. In 1997, we beat Minnesota 45 - 42…Helton sprinkled in some good wins here and there…

1 Like

I started UH in 86… 1-10, then 87 4-6-1 (yea a tie)… but then good things happened and we were runnin and shootin the rest of my time… 9-3, 9-2, 10-1… best thing was in my 5 years at UH we beat texas 3 out of 5 times.

8 Likes

Apparently you were too young to remember the Helton years.

9 Likes

…while grinding the program to near extinction… Not a fan of the “Love Coach”. Plus he was an arse … he made Sumlin look like Mr. Congeniality.

6 Likes

Tony Fitzpatrick is who I had more beef with…

There might have been worse times / seasons, but for worst game, the 2000 or 2001 home game against Louisville where it rained sideways in 40 degree weather while enduring yet another loss in an 0-fer year was rock bottom. Nothing like getting earholed with near sleet while your team gets pummeled. Thank goodness for flasks and my good friend Jack Black.

6 Likes

Not even remotely close

5 Likes

Wasn’t that the game where less than 4K showed? That was rock bottom.

2 Likes

Surely, you joke, DD! You DO remember the bowl game last year, don’t you? Army scored every darn time they had the ball in that game - except for the one time when they fumbled, and we recovered!

8 Likes