Is UCF digging themselves into a hole?

You and I are on the same wavelength on this matter !!!

Too many people on this site do not understand the past dealings with ut !!!

UCF is not on the same level as Florida programwise. Take the deal. Even Miami went on the road to take names. Winning on the road is sweeter anyways.

UCF should have taken the Gators up on their offer. I was rooting hard for UCF this year against LSU, but I was also one of what felt like few UH fans who didn’t like all the national championship crowing last year by the Knights. It made them look tiny. Then look at the dismissive vitriol aimed at their program after losing to LSU. They have lost one game in two seasons and they’re somehow viewed as a laughing stock around the country.

I will concede that part of my anti-UCF bias last year out of jealousy. What they have become could have easily been UH had some circumstances been a little different. I’m thrilled to have coach Holgorsen on board, but he will have his work cut out for him against UCF, Memphis and Cinci.

I listed to a lot of ESPN U while driving, we seem to get better pub that UCF because everyone remembers we schedule P5— we beat them in 15. That is makes an impression and earns respect. Schedule P5’s consistently, not just 1 but 2 or 3

2 Likes

Anyone that wants UH to sign 2 for 1 deals with P5s aren’t thinking ahead. Once you do that, that is all they will offer. We are signing plenty of 1 for 1 deals at it stands. If you want us to fill up and play 3 road and 1 home OOC each year, that is what you get when you load up with 2 for 1 deals. Also, voluntarily giving up home field advantage looks desperate and will never work out to a winning record. Playing teams with more money, bigger stadiums, more fans and superior talent, you might go on a streak of winning 2 home and 1 road but you aren’t going to go .500 on the road against them in the long run and you will have home games in which they are up and you are down and won’t be 100% at home. Let’s say large crowds, bigger budgets don’t matter and we sign a 15 year deal with UT and we are slightly better than UT with talent and coaching in every one of those games and win 80% of our home games and 30% of our road games. In that rose colored glasses optimistic scenario we still finish the series with a 7-8 record and that is all anyone will see. No one will care that we played two times more games at UT.

I’ll take one and one deals with Boise State, Washington State, Texas Tech, BYU, Utah and Colorado over any 2 for 1 deals with UT and A&M. Screw them.

8 Likes

LSU was also missing like 8 starters on their defense. UCF wins if they have Milton but if both teams went head to head with all their players available LSU wins by at least a td.

Not to take anything away from UCF but they just don’t have the depth to beat a team like LSU consistently.

I hear you…lived the TU hate since before I could walk. Pops chose UH over TU, always said NEVER back down from those arrogant pri$&$, play them anywhere, anytime

2 Likes

Realize that the offer wasn’t a true 2-for-1; it was 2 in Gainesville and then 1 at a neutral location. UCF was not getting a home game out of the deal.

If it had been a 1-and-1 neutral like what we did with OU, I’d probably say they should have accepted it. The 2-for-1 neutral is a slap in the face and UCF shouldn’t accept it.

5 Likes

Totally agree and surprised anyone from our side would suggest we take a deal like that.

1 Like

Not factually correct. The had 8 players injured or refusing to play but most of their experience was still on the field.

1 Like

Ring! Ring! Ring!, We have a winner. True statements up above. The other piece of the puzzle is there are years where you are only playing 5 home games unless you can find someone who will do a 2 for 1 in our favor or a 1 and done in our favor. Guess who you are playing for those games. It will be an FCS team, one of those dreaded teams you all complain and say, I thought we were not playing them anymore.

So, in a more reflective and correct scenario, you are playing against these other P5 schools giving them the added advantage of playing the majority of time at home, the mid-level P5 schools now look at you with a lesser eye and want the same deal or no deal and you are stuck with playing mostly G5 and FCS games for non-conference at home with a P5 coming in every now and then. Recruits think less of you so your recruiting suffers and pretty soon you are the dreg of the conference.

More likely the result is the above, than the hey we play them at home and kick their butts all the time.

1 Like

After one of their corners got thrown out of the game and they lost John Battle their safety they were down to 2nd and 3rd string players in their defensive backfield. The only actual 1st string guy playing was Cary Vincent the nickelback. They were still holding their own albeit against UCF’s backup QB. The point stands that LSU has way more depth than UCF and would most likely win a head to head matchup with all players available for both teams.

Yes, but on an even keel and they DO NOT get to dictate the terms.

Without that, they would not do it !!!

I would take a 2-for-1 with Florida but only with the third at UCF’s stadium. Florida’s offer is a joke and mostly just a way for people to say “See! UCF is cowardly!”

I am ordinarily not the confrontational type, but I am entirely on board with what UCF is doing here. There is no percentage in quietly accepting your place. Which is the alternative here. Whether the UCF or the AAC or UH, you have to make your own case. One of the things I like about Holgorsen is that I believe he will do that, call out the system, and be as obnoxious as he needs to be.

1 Like

Nope. Not true at all. Greedy Williams was the only player that started all season that missed the game. These things get exaggerated because teams will have 30 guys start at least one game and when they are hurt they get listed as a starter.

The top 9 tacklers on the defense played against UCF. Their top 7 guys in sacks all played in the game. Their top 7 guys in tacklers for a loss played in the game.

Kelvin Joseph, Neil Farrell, Davin Cotton, Nelson Jenkins and Travis Moore are part of that infamous list and had zero starts combined.

Greedy Williams, Kristian Fulton, Ed Alexander and Breidan Fehoko were the 4 defensive starters out for the game and Breidan was a starter because Ed got hurt. Then Jacob Phillips missing the first half for targeting. So they were missing starters at 3 positions for the entire game and 4 positions in the first half.

3 Likes

Breiden Fehoko was the starter before his injury. They were missing him, Andre Anthony, K’laivon Chaisson, Travez Moore, Jacob Philips for the 1st half like you said, Greedy Williams,Terrance Alexander after he got ejected, Grant Delpit after he got ejected, Kristian Fulton, and Battle. That’s just on the defense. That is huge hit to any team despite not all of those players being starters.

UCF was missing their QB who also happens to be the most important player on their team. I still think LSU wins most head to head matchups.

I will say this though. UCF had a 14-3 lead in that game and got a really stupid unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after stopping LSU’s offense. That penalty allowed LSU to get back in it and changed the momentum from that point forward. If UCF gets the ball back right there I think they probably win the game.

3 Likes

Being obnoxious and turning down a chance to play the Gators is just STUPID…Not smart on their part…i am AMAZED Florida even offfered to play them…You think Texas or Aggie will offer to play us?? NEVER

2 Likes

They were getting a 3 for non. That’s bulls***
Everyone should turn that down.

3 Likes

Bill Yeoman used to have the attitude that the Coogs would play anyone, any time, any place. UCF flubbed that one up. We played OU on a neutral spot and now they are playing the next one on their home field. Regardless of the outcome I welcome the chance for our Coogs going to Norman…
And anyone saying that we would not jump at the chance to UT or Agy is simply foolish. Anybody, any time, any place…

4 Likes

You think UCF is lucky to get a 2 for 1 deal with Florida and you think UCF is being obnoxious? You still have a hangover?

2 Likes