Is winning the conference tournament worth it?

Absolutely. All projections say we are a 7 or 8 seed. And there is a huge difference there. We need win the tourney to be 7 or higher and avoid the second round of potentially playing kansas or gonzaga.

But think of how great it would be to take down KU or the Zags in the 2nd round! That would draw a lot of attention to our Sweet 16 game. If you want to run with the big dogs, you can’t stay on the porch.

4 Likes

Don’t give me that bs. You also want to play as long as you can. And that means you would take the easier path any day. Our turn to be the big dog will come

The competition in our conference is good, winning out is great prep for the tournament to come. I like playing Cincinnati and WSU over a St. Mary’s or San Francisco like the Zags. Anyone can beat anyone on a given day, our losses have been close, our wins have been comfortable, all that builds you up for a tough March Maddness.

1 Like

It’s always worth it to win a championship!!!

5 Likes

Its not BS, its making the most of the situation. Sure, we would all like to take on those really weak teams that lucked out against the better competition, but were spent by the time they get to play us and ride that scenario as long as we can. The odds of that happening are low. The odds of having to take on a heavyweight early are much, much greater. But it does give us an opportunity to pull off an upset. How many saw us doing as well as we did the last couple of years? Not many.

1 Like

I think our guys need to at least get to the championship game if just to get into a possible hot streak shooting, maybe driving to the basket. Rebounding and defense have been key in conference play; but, things get even a lot faster in the dance.

Jerry - Are you referring to AAC Tourney Championships? We won CUSA Tourney in March 2010. We took down #25 UTEP in championship game. Then lost in round 1 of NCAA. Penders was coach and he resigned after NCAA.

We aren’t in CUSA anymore we have never won the AAC tournament.

Yep, I agree. Just wanted to point out we have won a conference tourney.

If status quo remains what it is the AAC Tournament means a lot more now since it will be in a more normal environment. The big tournament is going to be very awkward.

1 Like