It looks like no tailgating this year

To me the lifeblood of UH football is tailgating. So tell us one of your favorite tailgates with story or pics. One of my favorite tailgates was before the American Conference game against Temple. We rented a RV and parked the night before and had a great time which included a conference championship.

3 Likes

To me, tailgating at The Rob was the best, and with Red Veselka providing the BBQ, what could have been better ?
Great memories !

6 Likes

If they move football to the spring you might be ok for the tailgating. Right now I think tailgating is the smallest of issues.It is July and we haven’t peaked yet. Football should go on with a Spring schedule.

2 Likes

My favorite Rob Tailgate was Coogs v. TTech & Mike Leach – Sat. 26Sep’09 – Photos below

~9:30 PM Kickoff so fans were ‘fully fuelled’

Awesome football with Coogs’ game-winning drive starting late Saturday & ending early Sunday

I setup with my ΣΝ bros close to the NW entrance. We got on the ESPN pre-game show. I remember policing the area before we went in – clean as a whistle. When I came out, the folks that didn’t have tickets continued partying & left it like the aftermath of an Animal House frat party

Could not beat the Coogfans Tailgates at the Rob – In the early days, $5 bought all the food & beer you could eat & drink! Later it was $10 – still a steal – & we’d moved up to St. Arnold’s

Good Times

Here’s ESPN filming us pregame

At the 1560 AM pre-game party

@RWcoog (middle) & John Sypert (right)

Coogfans Tailgate

ΣΝ Tailgate

Scoreboard – note photo date stamp with 9/27–Sunday

3 Likes

Some good times indeed.

2 Likes

Tech game 09 - Drank from 9AM to 9PM. Went to take a piss in a port-o-potty and woke up in there the next morning. Heard the game was great

8 Likes

Found the highlights for you.

3 Likes

Is Sypert still around? I haven’t seen him for a long time.

I obviously missed something. This is news to me. On the other hand, I won’t have to dodge other people’s children throwing footballs, listen to what others think is good ‘music’ blaring and set at 11, etc. So there is an upside.

I didn’t make it to the Tech game but had to drive down for a test in the testing center early that morning. It was already getting wild. I’m not sure how a lot of folks made it to kickoff.

The “Golden Age” of tailgating at UH was the heyday of coogfans.com tailgates.

VERY fond memories of those!

If only we could bring them back!

3 Likes

We WILL play football this coming school year
Only question is when
Moving the schedule to Spring could happen
Probably a lot safer
Looks like the Ivies are already prepared to move
not CANCEL, mind you
MOVE
I am pretty certain that if Princeton, Yale and Harvard have the wherewithal to play football sometime this year, we can too!

1 Like

If we move to Spring, don’t be surprised if some players who would’ve declared for the draft after this season sit out in the Spring. No time to recover from any injuries. Not sure it affects our team, but could be a factor for other programs.

Agree 100%, the tailgaiting at The Rob blew TDECU away in my book. Realize you have to give up something for progress and The Rob had to be replaced.

3 Likes

John is battling Alzheimers. I saw him two years ago in the club section and we chatted a bit. I am not sure if he knew who i was

3 Likes

Didn’t he go by Maddog?

1 Like

yes, I recall John S used @maddog

So sad to hear of Alzheimer’s.

Prayers to him and his family

3 Likes

Thanks. That’s very sad to hear.

One of the biggest Cougar fans I’ve run across.

3 Likes

It’s a terrible disease. We have had several cases in my family and my wife’s family.
John is one of the good ones - really sad to hear it.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that.
My thoughts go out to him and those that care for him (family and friends).

2 Likes