It makes dollars but not sense

I have recently heard rumors that Houston was almost invited to the PAC-12 and furthermore that there is a great possibility that we will still get invited next year. Although this sounds like its a no brainer to accept if they call, on the other hand, why In the world would we go to the PAC if the closest road trip is Tucson or Boulder (both respectively 1000 miles away)???

I for one know for a fact I would not drive at least 1000 miles to watch a game, I may fly to Los Angles or Oregon but that would be maybe once a year if not once every 2 years. Is it really that much better than the new BIG 12 that we should drop everything to go? Is a couple of more million worth it if they can get a better media deal? Will we automatically start recruiting five star players if we go to the pac? Not to mention extremely late night games that no body will want to stay up and watch.

Maybe I’m overlooking something here or not seeing the big picture, can someone help me understand the logic? thanks.

1 Like

Cities instead of college towns

Later games so more chance to do other things

Vegas trip

More money maybe (it’s a gamble)

If we join the Big 12, we are not moving to the PAC. Exit fees will be onerous

4 Likes

If they send the invite next year does that even count because we wouldn’t be in until 2023?

If the Pac sends out invites next year, exit fees will not be the same as we will have never played a minute in the Big 12 yet.

Nothing wrong with UH having options.

3 Likes

The PAC is composed of very prestigious universities and USC is a blue blood that has
song leaders.

https://recsports.usc.edu/programs-classes/spirit-groups/usc-song-girls/

Song girls? Big deal.

We have

10 Likes

Oregon, USC, UCLA and Stanford…

Recruits hear PAC 12 and see we would get to play against those teams would help big time in recruiting.

And when we play those Pac12 teams here, TDECU will be sold out

I’m not complaining about Big 12 at all, it’s just you have to take Pac12 in a heartbeat, Big 12 members would do the same and leave if they had a chance, making big 12 future uncertain

When new PAC 12 agreement ends in 2024 and renegotiates, adding in Houston market, I can bet money will be much higher than Big 12

3 Likes

Just once look at the list of schools in the Big12 and the Pac12 and pick which one you would rather be associated with. UCLA, Cal, USC, Oregon, Stanford vs Kansas, OkSt, TTU, Baylor, I dunno, Iowa State? West Virginia?

The media rights payout will probably be around 10 million more for PAC12 than Big12.

The Pac12 is maybe 100 times more stable than the Big12.

4 Likes

The only reason to go to the PAC if they offered us is for the stability that the PAC would give us over the Big12 knowing full well that if the PAC offered any of the other schools in the Big12 they would leave for the PAC and once that happens it would put us in a terrible situation again. You know, stuck with a down-graded G5 conference again! Otherwise, I think we are better off in the Big12, as long as the money are within a few millions and the Big12 still retains its Power5 status.

1 Like

Are you sure? See TCU and the Big East

I don’t know about that as some teams, such as UCLA, have a hard time filling up their stadium as well. Even USC has a hard time filling its stadium since the arrival of the NFL to LA. Here is an article about the attendance problems that USC and UCLA have.

USC vs Wazzu only pulled 1.6m. That isn’t gonna cut it for a new more expensive contract.Pac12 is fading.

1 Like

Posted in another thread but good take on the UH to PAC12 question and why it may make sense.
I do agree we wouldn’t move from Big12 to PAC12 based on today’s dollars. But after next year TV contract, PAC having Central time zone team(s) would be HUGE for the conference (and for u$).

https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1440026898084552706?s=20

2 Likes

Im with you about the regionality issue. Weirdly I think we would bring way more than we would get from the pac 12. Especially with one foot in the door of the big 12. For them its a no brainer, get all their premier schools on tv at a decent hour once a year, better exposure to Texas recruits and houston tv market. For us the only plus is the money. Now from what I understand the money is not just a few million. Pac 12 did 33 mill per school. New big 12 is rumored around 25mill. Thats almost 10M per year. But I just dont see how the pac 12 continues to get that kind of money moving forward, their fan bases are dwindling, and I think long term the new big 12 will be more valuable to tv than the pac or even acc once people realize how good all of the new additions are.

2 Likes

We would dream of the problem of having only 47-54k average attendance

People are always exaggerating the pac12’s problems

6 Likes

Fertitta and Khator’s goal was always to get us in a P5 and especially if it was the Big12. It’s less expensive for our teams to travel to regional schools in all sports than to travel halfway across the country. And it’s an easier drive for fans.

I support their decision and doubt very seriously if they decide to up and change conferences for a few more million that’s going to eat through our travel cost.

2 Likes

Problem - Those schools will be in the other division so you may get 2 games a year vs that division which will also include Cal, Oregon St, and Washington St to fill those slots.

The PAC is probably more stable but not as much upside or rivalries. Even the PAC team will become old hat with Utah, Az, Colorado every year.

Overall, I don’t have a preference, and I think the Big12 could have been really good prior to Ut/OU leaving, but happy the greed is gone (that include Nebraska and A&M since they were also voting for unequal revenue sharing and more money)

1 Like

I would rather stay in the Big12. Pac12 has a few schools with some good names but WVU OSU Baylor Tech TCU are more exciting to me.

It just feels right. There is an emotional connection with some of those schools.

I am so indifferent to pac12 schools. I don’t care win or lose.

7 Likes

I would actually go to more Pac road trips than b12. I ain’t going to Waco

5 Likes