THEY (UT) ARE NOT THE MAIN REASON THAT WE CANNOT GET AN INVITE
TO BIG 12. THE BAYLORS, TCUS, OKS, KAN. KAN S. IOWA S. DO NOT WANT
ANOTHER TX TEAM IN THE B12. THEY ALL HAVE A RECRUITING PROBLEM
NOW WITHOUT SOMEONE IN HOUSTON TX RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF ALL
THE RECRUITS. WITH ALL THESE (NO WAY) THE VOTE WAS NOT TAKEN
IN 15 OR 16. NO USE BRINGING UP A VOTE WITH ALL THESE AGAINST
US.

2 Likes

Good point, but if we could get another P5 to show strong interest in adding us, would it change their thinking? This year could have been another feather in the sweet 16 cap, football will be better, another NY6 with a Final Four and we will get interest over Memphis, Cincinnati, Boise and UCF.

1 Like

Wanna bet? Not as long as the whorns are running the conference!

This is why UT will never allow us in the B12.
https://twitter.com/JoeAlcoser/status/1241100576374603776?s=09

9 Likes

True…true…we are still hated by their alumni.

“To beat them and to do it in the manner in which we did it in, there was some gratification there!”
——— Andre Ware

I couldn’t help but burst laughing out loud! And his laughter after he said that was also funny as hell!

2 Likes

I’m happy with the AAC. I also think that people should stop thinking this conference is beneath UH – at least until we start dominating it in football and basketball. One championship in football and two regular season championships in basketball, with one being a 3 way tie, is not dominance. We are in a league of our peers, and as hard as that is for some to accept, the results since AAC inception bears it out.

Our conference games, even against the teams some on here disdain (Tulsa and Tulane), have been very competitive and entertaining. I think people would have a more enjoyable time dealing with what is instaed of pining for something we have no control over.

4 Likes

I have no problem at all with the conference that we are in - except one. The money we get for our games is simply ridiculous when compared with the P5’s. THAT - is the only problem!

4 Likes

Mike, good post and I get what you are saying. Our conference is not bad and some of the schools own us in some regard, but the competition is not enjoyable on a weekly basis. I miss the rivalries of our former peers and perhaps over even more time, our current peers will grow on me. We were put in this situation or we allowed ourselves to be put in this situation, but we’re doing the best we can with what we have. Less money for the conference is the main issue because it allows you to have options. Lack of access to higher paying quality bowl games with greater fan interest is not exciting and it sometimes feels like an extra game at the end of the season. Less then stellar perception of being a G5 school makes you an afterthought on many levels ranging from recruiting, attendance, television viewership, fan interest, and television commentator comments. It is true that we have not dominated our current conference, but we have been competitive. Not all schools are the same and a few schools in our conference have some built in advantages that will allow us to be successful in a P5 conference.

We were in the SWC for only 20 years and that ended 25 years ago. I remember the SWC games as well as any and I remember an almost empty Rice Stadium or Astrodome for a great many games with those former peers some seem to miss. The only teams we really drew well against were UT, aTm, and Arkansas and even aTm was only a good crowd when they were up. The games against UT often looked like we were the visitors. So, I don’t understand the angst over not playing teams that drew scant interest when we played them in the SWC.

I do understand annoyance over the lack of good bowls other than when we qualify for the NY6 bowl. But, you couldn’t have a better game than when we beat Pitt in the Armed Forces Bowl. And how about rolling Penn State in the Ticket City Bowl?

The last game we playing in Houston on a Thursday night against UT had twice as many UT fans than UH fans, and even then the stadium was almost half empty. So who are these former peers and rivals you are talking about?

All schools draw well when UT, aTm, UA come to town and to be fair, we were not the only school in the SWC that didn’t pack a stadium and they had longer histories than us. Once the novelty of playing in the Dome wore off, campus environments proved to be a better fit for the college experience.

It’s true that we played some exciting games but to me it more than just playing the game. The college game is local unless you are a mainstay on the national scene and so we don’t get the opportunity to banter with local friends or fans of other schools about head-to-head games. I don’t know anyone associated with S. Florida, etc.

Is this the exact conversation from the thread titled “ut got ask” or is the social distancing starting to get to me?

There are a lot of replays going on right now. Haven’t you noticed! :grin::smile:

1 Like

Was this the bleacher gate game ? From my memory that game was pretty packed except of course for the temporary seats that were deemed to
be unsafe by the UH president. Just my $0.02 but I agreed with his decision after seeing it in person.

It’s called Thread Distancing to help keep your computer safe from the virus

2 Likes

I don’t remember if this was bleacher gate game. I remember it was a Thursday night game on ESPN, and it was indoors.

I think you have the attendance numbers backward between a$m and ut.

Aggies would go the games even when getting the crap beat out of them.

Longhorns are not going if they are going to get their asses handed to them.

In fact I remember the game in the Dome in 1991. You could have counted the horns on one hand. We beat them, but not bad, but there were only about 20K Coog fans.

We’ve only played UT three times since the SWC breakup, once at Robertson and twice in Austin.

The game here was packed, SRO.

I must have been thinking of the 2001 game so yeah Bleachergate.