Jamal Shead question

It’s very early in his Cougar career, but Jamal already appears to be a tremendous ball handler with elite passing skills. My question for those who follow the team closely is this - how good of a shooter is he and/or will be? My hope is that he can be not only a great ball distributor but also a dependable scoring threat from the outside.

1 Like

I think he’ll be at least an average outside shooter. Form looks fine. FT and 3pt % usually correlate over the long run and he’s a good free throw shooter. The game just needs to slow down for him which usually comes with experience.

3 Likes

He is an elite defender and handles the ball well. With experience he and Mark make better decisions near the basket.
Shead is great at driving to the basket and will be an excellent dish man.
I suspect he doesn’t have green light shooting treys but I think he will improve the more he plays.
He has a very bright future and would not surprise for him to start

5 Likes

Is Shead really an “elite” defender? I think he’s pretty good, but I think people saw the Lamar game and prematurely tagged him as elite. Could he get there? Maybe, but he’s not there yet. He isn’t near the level of Deeky…yet.

I predict that, at least, Snead gets major PG minutes next season.

He’s the most muscular physique on the squad and plenty good as a natural defender. Very strong kid.

I hope he gets better and better.

1 Like

I think he is going to surprise everyone next year and be one of our best players and will be an All American before he is done. He is really good.

2 Likes

I know he has a long way to go but his build and style of play remind me of a very young Chris Paul.

1 Like

All I know is that CKS is really high on the kid and that’s really all I need to know.

5 Likes

Sampson is,indeed, high on Shead.

I have watched him. Can get by his man and get in the paint. Can hit his shot. Can run the court.

He is our PG next season.

3 Likes

I just listened to CKS when he signed Jamal Shead. Coach said Jamal does two things really well, his toughness & he really defends the “ball”. That comes from a coach who loves defense, If you watch when plays he is a great on ball defender. He is young, lots to learn but is very bright! If given the opportunity he will become a real leader!

2 Likes

He will be a really decent shooter I promise. Probably not like Sasser or grimes good but more like hinton good. Like where you aren’t sagging off him or leaving him open. We have got to remember he’s going against biggest taller longer guys, the game is much faster and the 3 point line is further. It’s not easy to adjust so quickly to the college level shooting. Especially with miss games, no off season, no pre season scrimmages, and way less practices. I think a lot of y’all will be surprised how well Shead shoots next year. We are talking about a guy who hit 6 3s on shadow creek his last game as a senior. I watched a lot of tape on him. He was a great shooter in high school, he hit deep 3s, contested 3s, off the dribble 3s, no way you shoot that well in high school with that nice of a form and just turn into a non shooter in college. I’m also a lot higher in Shead than a lot of y’all but I think he’s going to be just fine shooting. You don’t loose your touch like that

https://twitter.com/markbermanfox26/status/1236107033268629515?s=21

Sampson has said he’s one of the best defending freshman he’s ever had. He will be elite. There is a reason Deeky told Sampson to put in Shead at the end of Rutgers game. Trust me he will be elite

1 Like

“Will be” is not the same as “is”. That’s all I’m saying. Lots on here have already tagged him with the “elite” label. I don’t think he’s earned that yet. Will he? Probably, but he’s not there yet.

He is a true point guard. He moves so well with and without the ball, he is going to be excellent.

He makes freshman mistakes with the ball. Next year he will make sophomore mistakes with the ball. The following year he will make Junior level plays that will make your mouth open wide. He will be an All American his senior year.

2 Likes