Jarreau

vs cincinnati we all watched Jarreau have a great second half and thought wow if this guy can do that on a regular basis, we are gonna have another great player next year…kid has done it 3 games in a row now…he has found his groove just at the right time and is a fantastic weapon…still has upside as well this year imo.
Guess he wants a starting role…now.

3 Likes

Not going to start this season. That said, he’ll be on the court to close out most games.

You’re really not saying you replace Galen are you?

4 Likes

This team and hopefully a good recruiting class will be good in the upcoming years

With a little luck and a (H)Akeem type improvement in Chris Harris, this program has a multi year final four run in them. This year’s team absolutely could make the final four.

1 Like

I think Sampson builds more than a team. He is building for the long haul and will keep a healthy rotation of recruits and groom them to maintain character, ability, and depth to maintain UH as a contender.

5 Likes

Once our big man recruiting catches up to the level of our guards and wings, we’ll become a powerhouse program.

3 Likes

If we go deep in the tourney I predict a big time blue chip big man in 2021…

2 Likes

He won’t have a starting role this season. As much as he has an upside, he still sometimes does a Rob Gray/James Harden impression with messy passes and freezing the offense by not rotating the ball as much. He makes more great plays than Robinson but he consistently makes more mistakes too.

During the off-season he will be practicing with the starters for 2019-20 which should increase his great plays and reduce his mistakes which would make him a better point guard his junior year than Robinson is his senior year. He just isn’t quite there yet.

3 Likes

Deeky has earned and gotten more minutes. It makes things awkward offensively when both Galen and Deeky are on the floor at the same time. They are both PGs and are at their best offensively when they are running the point. It’s a good problem to have but something to keep an eye on. Galen was logging way too many minutes early in the season, now we have a starter-caliber star at backup PG so Galen can stay fresh for March.

5 Likes

DeJon has a lot more to offer on the offensive side than Galen; but Galen’s D will be hard to duplicate.

5 Likes

I’m not a fan of Deeky and Galen on the floor at the same time if Galen isn’t running point. If Jarreau is running point, they can sag off Galen even more because he isn’t much of an offensive threat. It almost becomes 4 on 5. That being said (or typed) I really can’t argue against 26-1 so what do I know?

2 Likes

I am just a fan of all 5 guards getting their 20+ min/gm and using all the combinations. This keeps our guys from playing such a load of minutes and we wear down other offenses.

4 Likes

It also appears to be wearing the ### out of the opposing team.

2 Likes

I haven’t really noticed many defenses sag off of him in conference play like they do when White or Alley are behind the arc. Last year for sure but I think he shot well enough in OOC play that it’s not the case this year in conference play. Occasionally of course but sometimes that’s just the defense like Jarreau’s wide open 3 against USF Saturday.

3 Likes

It just occurred to me that I like Galen running the offense when we pull up at the half court and run plays.

I like Jarreau bringing the ball down the court in the fast break. He goes all the way most of the time and usually something good happens including more recently, some creative assists to the big guy under the basket. Quite entertaining.

Galen is under more control and is more likely to back off and set up the offense. I like Galen’s defense making more opportunities for the transition game. Galen is better at burning clock. Both can be aggressive if that is what we need.

Just different styles, imo. I think Galen shows maturity that Jarreau, so far, makes up for with pure athletic ability.

Jarreau is magic and Galen is an engineer. Its great to be blessed with both. Npt many teams have what it takes to handle such diverse attacks.

4 Likes

Imagine being the other coach, having to plan for each combination of talents. If those talents respect each other and work differently with each for maximum effect, we have so many attacks that it is way difficult to plan for.

On our side, it gives us more combinations to throw at any talent set an opposing team can bring.

Sampson is that kind of coach and seems to be able to get the players to do whatever is best for the team.

4 Likes

I see all the comparisons btw Jarreau/Robinson and majority being talked about is on offensive end. On Defense there is no comparison btw the two and that is why you see Robinson in the game sometimes when Deeky enters bec CKS doesn’t want to give up the defensive end that GR brings consistently. He’s been using GR, CD, DJ as his 3 guards in gm same time quite bit lately.

3 Likes

I think White can hit the three ball, just have not seen it yet…I have a feeling it’s on it’s way.

I’m thinking you see Fabian add some muscle during the offseason and you see more of him at the 5 next year. Unless the staff is overselling him, and they have rarely if any done that, Gorham will be starting at the 4 because of his scoring ability, primarily the 3-ball. I suspect we will see some dropoff defensively on the guard line, so we will most likely need to be better offensively. We will have increased overall length so we can still be very good on the defensive end, just won’t have the 2 disrupters on the ball.

2 Likes