John Sypert-Maddog

I have to say I miss the Coogfans tailgates at Robertson where we met and got to know many other Coogfans posters like Maddog & Delmarred & Johnny Cougar.

And John (Maddog) was nice enough to offer me 3 free tickets to attend our 2006 Liberty Bowl game in Memphis against South Carolina. Still have a white plastic seat (memorabilia) and fond memories of that game and that trip.

RIP - John Sypert aka Maddog, and condolences to the family of one outstanding Coogfan!

4 Likes

Sad to hear. Yes, he had a lot to do with UH tailgating. He was a lot of fun. RIP…

4 Likes

Condolences to your family. May he rest in peace.

3 Likes

Condolences. There was only one Maddog, and you will be sorely missed. RIP, Maddog.

2 Likes

I participated in many Coogfans tailgates with John Sypert and a host of other outstanding Cougar fans. All we have when a loved one passes are our fond memories of that person. We have many fond memories of MadDog.

Rest in Peace John Sypert.

5 Likes

I have wondered about Maddog many times over the years. I also remember many fun days and nights at early Coogfans tailgates with John - I even interviewed John for a project. Jovial, friendly and fun to all. Helped create a fun website in the early days of Coogfans. Blessings to his family and RIP, Maddog.

3 Likes

A stalwart around here for many years.

My condolences to his family.

3 Likes

So saddened to hear this news. John did so much to promote UH to both students and alumni. He was most instrumental in offering free tailgating to students and would tap every source he could to encourage their participation. Was a good friend with whom I lost contact after spending much time out of state. A great Coog who gave his all to promote UH football and the start of CoogFans. God Bless and Rest in Peace, Maddog.

5 Likes

Great guy and great Cougar. Godspeed.

4 Likes

Very sorry to hear this news. Godbless!

3 Likes

I remember those days of old with the cases of Tecate…he recruited me back in the day to record the pressers for coogfans and take sideline pics during games… great memories, great coog, great guy.

3 Likes

Truly sad.

Great person.

Great coog.

In a better place with an extra ticket in his shirt pocket ready to share a good story.

May he rest in peace.

I just shared this sad news with my kids. They are grown now but they remember “Mr. Maddog” it was what they called him

6 Likes

Saddened by the loss of a great Coog, May he Rest In Peace and watch us from above. Godspeed to you and the rest of the family during this time of loss

3 Likes

I never met the man but remember him from the original coogfans when I started reading in 1999. I always enjoyed reading his posts. May his family and friends find peace in this difficult time and God bless his soul.

3 Likes

I never had the chance to meet Maddog but through your stories, your personal experiences he is right above us. Condolences to the entire family and to all of his friends.
Rest In Peace Sir.

2 Likes

So sad to read this. He was one of the originals on Coogfans when I just stumbled upon it 20 years ago or so. Rest In Peace Maddog.

6 Likes

RIP MADDOG. He was THE TAILGATE in those early years. I started attending Coog games again with my dad ETCOOG back when the games came back on campus and the COOGFANS tailgates were the first place we hit before making the rounds of visiting THINKCOTTON at the Lettersman Pavilion than Coach etc. Thank you John for helping create those fond memories I have with my dad.God Bless

4 Likes

The impact John and the others who did the hard work of running the board and tailgate can never truly be measured. A game changer for UH atheletics.

4 Likes

I met John at a tailgate in the early 2000’s. He brought beer and a sense of pride about Cougar sports in general. What yall might not know about John was he served in the United States Marine Corp beforing coming to UH. John, always had a story or two and there were no stragners in his midst. We lost two great Coogs in the past 30 days. Rest easy my friend. We will carry the torch from here on out.

6 Likes

I remember Maddog and he was always welcoming and way back when he started the great tailgates at Robertson. He was the grandfather of tailgates and he was instrumental in getting that scene really going. I’ll miss him.

2 Likes