Johnathan Phenix moving to RB?

I saw Durate tweet it. Not sure if its for Saturday’s game or permanently. Don’t have twitter at work.

Interesting

Johnathan Phenix | Running Back
Team: Houston Cougars
Ht / Wt: 6’0’ / 184
Houston Cougars
LATEST NEWS
RECENT NEWS
Houston has moved freshman CB Johnathan Phenix to running back.
Cougars HC Major Applewhite and staff believe that Phenix’s most immediate upside to help the team will come on the offensive side of the ball, rather than the defensive. The 6-foot, 184-pound freshman signed with Houston as a two-star recruit in the most recent class. We wouldn’t expect him to receive significant carries early on this year. Aug 29 - 3:49 PM
Source: Joseph Duarte on Twitter
Houston shifts CB Johnathan Phenix to RB
Aug 29 - 3:49 PM

I can’t figure out if this is a good thing or a bad thing. lol

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1034872110789926922

This does seem odd to me unless he just wasn’t working out at CB. Seems like we have sufficient depth at RB, but what do I know.

1 Like

Apparently he was RB until switching to D his last year in high school. Guessing they’ll red shirt him and his contributions will come later in his career.

1 Like

High School: Two-star recruit by Rivals and 247Sports … had 29 tackles, three pass breakups, two forced fumbles and an interception on defense as a senior … offensively, ran for 785 yards and 11 touchdowns on only 96 attempts, averaging 8.2 yards per rush … totaled 22 tackles, nine pass breakups and two forced fumbles as a junior … picked up 13 tackles, seven pass breakups and one interception as a sophomore … earned 2016 second team all-district honors … coached by head coach Judd Thrash.

Brandon Wilson 2 point O! Man Rice is in for it!

7 Likes

Wonder if he fits in for certain plays, maybe on the edges, bubble screens?

1 Like

He sounds like the type of player that will really benefit from the new red shirt rules.

3 Likes

I am not the biggest (or 20th biggest) CMA fan on this board but the B Wilson to RB happened when he was OC and IJ to CB happened when he was HC. He’s 2-0 on these changes so far.

1 Like

I’m also interested in seeing how the Austin Robinson move to LB works out.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if Grant Stuard is projected to start this season? If not, I would think he will play get a lot of playing time.

We are going to lose 4 senior CBs after this season, Johnson, Myers, J. Williams, and Watkins. That leaves only three bona fide CBs returning next year. So we have to recruit guys who can play right away - JUCO or more Grads. That means fewer scholarships for freshmen.

Also, I got the feeling from some interviews post scrimmages and practices that Mulbah Car may be a bit of a slow learner. I wonder if moving Phenix has something to do with Mulbah (or some other RB) not picking up the new O as quickly as hoped.

1 Like

Mulbah Car is one of the few RBs on the roster that runs north/south. He has a mean streak when he carries the ball. He is not afraid of contact and he is in a bad mood when he hits the hole and sees a LB there. IMO, he needs carries. JMO.

Go Coogs. Peace.

I agree. I have a hard time believing we have more quality depth at CB than RB. (8 quality CBs and Safeties vs 2 quality backs?) My best hope, this kid is a real specimen and just beating everyone else out at RB.

1 Like

As I stated in a previous post, mulbah is not a hurry up guy. A good runner, absolutely, but hurry, not so much. He was in judas’ doghouse because he would not hurry to position for the next play. Briles offense is light years ahead Judas when it comes to speed.

During Case’s time I remember the average td drives of less than 2 mins.

I listened to the replay of the show on the way home from the Kick-off event and I didn’t get that impression at all. What I got was that we had about 7 CB’s and due to the amount of plays we hope to run at a fast pace, he wants to have a deep stable at RB and Phenix is very fast. CMA made several references to fast players and team speed, especially at WR. CMA is pretty straight forward and is not into all the hype and hyperbole like his predecessor. So, I am looking forward to some excitement on offense this fall.

Oh, and I like Dr. Khators statement that her attitude is, “Take no prisoners!.”

1 Like

If you’re talking about CMA’s radio show yesterday, I didn’t have a chance to listen. So if he said that than I guess I misinterpreted what I heard a couple weeks ago.

Car had plenty of “hurry up” at the last scrimmage. They all did…they had to!

no but he will play a good role in this defense as a nickel. starters will be garret davis, deontay Anderson, Isiah Johnson and either alex myers or nick Watkins in the secondary.