Jordan Jumpman Brand Affiliation

Do you want one and done players or do you want 3-5 year players? I have owned both cadillac and chevy products and personally, I think Cadillac is overrated junk.

1 Like

Blockquote[quote=“bosscoog, post:21, topic:17442, full:true”]
Do you want one and done players or do you want 3-5 year players? I have owned both cadillac and chevy products and personally, I think Cadillac is overrated junk.
[/quote]

The logo will attract top talent from both groups so I’m not sure what your point is.

1 Like

Let’s look at the cause and effect…announced we were a Jordan school last Spring and since have landed our best recruit in recent history (4 star Nate Hinton from far away North Carolina). Not saying it was the only reason, but the affiliation definitely is an ‘icing on the cake’ type of thing that sets us apart.

Nate committed in summer of 2017 and signed in November 2017. That said, the affiliation is certainly not a negative.

True…but possibly Coach Sampson knew the affiliation was about to happen and could have told him there was a good chance or possibly it was already a done deal…waiting for an official announcement. That’s all speculation so let’s see how we do moving forward.

Lol…Jordon is one of the five best-known athletes of the past 50 years…and that’s internationally.

If you don’t understand that level of marketing power I can’t help you.

7 Likes

We can all suppose or speculate but unless a player specifically states that he signed with UH because of a logo, then we have no clue. I would rather have players sign to play here because of the program and coaching they will get than a logo and a shoe…

That’s all speculation so let’s see how we do moving forward.

Hopefully those will be gone next year for a better style.

The Jordan brand brings additional legitimacy to basketball schools. Not sure what it does for football really. It is just another feather in our cap to go with our facilities and program. It does matter in the totality, even though no one is picking a school just based on the shoe contract. It is the basketball equivalent of Carnegie Tier 1 status.

3 Likes

This thread cracks me up.

Recruiting is tough, and the tipping point for most players absolutely can come down to things like the gear they would wear. They’re 17-8 years old, after all, and it’s gives us an edge with some players.

That doesn’t mean they’re not coming because of the coach, the school, or whatever, and it’s certainly not a knock against them for wanting to wear cool shoes.

Some of y’all just need to quit acting so old and crotchety. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

The Jumpman brand is like getting a Michelin star for your restaurant. It doesn’t mean people will like your food and come back, but it means people are going to want to come try your place.
Getting that thumbs up gets young basketball stars to look at the Coogs. Kelvin, Kellen, and Co just have to put their best foot forward. If the recruit likes how UH tastes he’ll be eating at our table for a couple of years to come.

5 Likes

I posted this last year when it was announced, but it’s still true:
This is a big deal. Michigan went to the Jordan brand last year. It is a little strange to see a jumpman on a football jersey, but it was there.

These days, it’s all about marketing and recruiting. We hardcore cougar fans will buy shirts and things because it says UH or Houston on it. But the casual fan or recruit that sees it and wants it, that’s where it comes into play.

Wow…crotchety makes me itchy…

2 Likes

Really, being a Nike school to start with makes a difference in merchandise sales usually. Although still Nike could support us better by putting more of our gear online or in the Jumpman store at the Galleria.

Need good brand name to make itch go away!

I went into the Jumpman store in the Galleria and the sales associate didn’t even know UH was a Jordan school now, SMH.

In their defense, all collegiate licensed apparel with a Nike or Jordan logo is made by a company in Kansas City called Branded Custom Sportswear. They’re a licensee of Nike, but not owned by them. Not to say that Nike’s Jordan stores couldn’t buy from one of their licensees, but you can see that it’s not a corporate initiative.

yeah, that remind me some years bsck when the Phi Slama Jama shoes at the House of Hoops when they came out. Went to the Galleria to pick up some snd they act like they didnt know what I was talking about…never purchased a copy needless to say…

There were Phi Slama Jama shoes?

See link.

Cougar Red. I wanted these manager at House of Hoops never even checked. Said he never heard of them.

1 Like

I have a pair of PSJ shoes from the 80’s. White with red lettering. Not sure if they have any value…

No one signs just to wear Jordan gear. But if you want a face marketing your apparel you won’t find one better than MJ. Walk through any airport and tell me I’m wrong.

Check the Forbes article from 2016: (paraphrasing) “Jordon made $30 million more than ANY athlete in the world in 2016, active or otherwise.”

DAMN!

1 Like