Josh Heupel Contract extension

Heupel will be gone in two years.

G5’s & P5’s? What is the buyout? It is as simple as that. Heupel could be gone Monday morning & I would not be the least surprised.

If UCF and Josh Heupel agreed to a $12 million buyout if he left within the first 3 years, then maybe UH and our HC and OC and DC should all have the same kind of agreement.

1 Like

Lol, not sure I agree with this last part :point_up: after our experience with the last DC.

The problem with big buyouts is they can work against you too. Major had to fire his first two coordinators.

Heupel should thank Henderson’s injury in the first half … ELSE … he wouldn’t be getting that nice extension …

Henderson was unstoppable and slicing through the knights like a hot knife through butter … UNTIL he got injured …

Oh well Heupel and UCF will return to terra firma when they face the tigers from LSU … NOT Memphis …

We will know by 2023 if Heupel is a great coach. I can’t imagine he’ll replicate the last two seasons. You think our fanbase has high expectations? Let him lose two games in a row and he’ll have to check under his car every time he wants to drive it. Other than he remembers being fired at OU, I can’t imagine why he’d sign a contract with that kind of buyout. Maybe his wife said she wasn’t moving for a few years.

$12 million damn… That’s steep

12? That’s what I’m talking about. Good on both parties. UCF is what we strived to be this past 3 years. Good on them for not letting people step over them.

The similar situation is what we have and we would be out a heck of a lot more money for donofrio if the buyout was higher.

No, some folks are mistakenly assuming that the amount goes both ways. I seriously doubt that it does.

IMHO, the only program in the country stupid enough to agree to that would be ATM.

However, after they paid ~$10 million to get rid of Sumlin, I doubt that even ATM would make that same mistake again.

I said can. In any event, most coaches won’t sign up for a huge buyout unless there is some skin in it on the other side.

It looks to me that UCF was (he has a new contract now so unsure going forward) on the hook for the total $1.7M/year of Heupel’s contract as it was guaranteed. So firing him after a year would have cost $6.8M. Not as big as he would owe if he left but also not chump change.