Justin Fields cleared to play immediately. Ours?

I’m sure there are a lot of politics considering he was a top rated player and he went to THE Ohio State University, but I wonder if this opens up a door for our two transfers. I am unaware of any hardships Fields had and he is not a grad transfer. So I’m curious what was said so that he was able to be eligible to play immediately. If we could find out, it would be great to get our two transfers active for this upcoming season.

His transfer hardship waiver request was based on the comments/racial slurs directed at him from other student athletes via twitter.

(jimmyschofield) #3

Fields was so scared playing at UGA because of the racist chants from a baseball player (who’s been kicked out of the university) in the stands of one of their football games, that his sister is still enrolled and playing for the softball team. Wait what?

Typical of the gutless NCAA.

Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

(Mike Higdon) #5

Maybe we can get some people to write a text to guys we want to play this fall. :kissing_closed_eyes:

Make sure it’s a student that does it…if we do it then it’s an impermissible benefit and team gets the death penalty probably.

(Patrick) #7

Interesting that our current signee, Justin Harris, posted that he wasn’t allowed to transfer from Baylor to Houston last year without sitting out (ended up at JUCO). He was accused of violating unspecified rules (he was part of a sexual assault investigation of 4 Baylor players, but ended up not being named in the report) and Rhule booted him, but the NCAA wasn’t going to allow him to suit up at Houston last season.

If we were a blue blood I’m sure there would be some “special” circumstances that would have cleared him immediately.

(Jimmy Morris) #9

I don’t think it’s a hardship when it’s your own actions that cause the problem. Fields and Harris worlds apart.

(Patrick) #10

Maybe. It’s tough to tell in that case because Baylor released nothing about what happened and why Harris was kicked off the team.

Why does everything like this always come back to Baylor.

Maybe civil litigation can just get rid of Baylor.

We’ve had a few questionable waivers/decisions go in our favor. I’m not too upset when the NCAA errs on the side of student athletes, especially when it has no impact on us.

(Kyle Caesar) #13

I believe all players should have at least one non grad transfer without waiting a year, and schools shouldn’t block them. Since title XIIII restricts pay, I think the athletes should gt something in return. Coaches can leave without penalty, and players should be able to.

(jimmyschofield) #14

I have no problem with Fields transferring, but to say it’s because of racism at UGA? While his sister is attending, also on athletic scholarship? It’s so ridiculous to me. Man up and be truthful, you want more playing time. End of story.

(Ben) #15

Did his sister receive racist comments too? I don’t see what she has to do with this, but you keep mentioning her.

(Jimmy Morris) #16

I think it should also be brought up again, the main point of many of the kids sitting out a year is not a rule based on punishment. It’s about the athlete being a student first. If a kid is a sophomore, has over 30 hours completed, has a 3.0 average or higher, then they are much more likely to be approved for immediate eligibility than a third year athlete that has less than 45 hours completed and below a 2.0 average. If they are struggling to keep up, the NCAA wants to make sure the new school focuses on the “student” part before the “athlete” part of the commitment first.

It’s protecting kids from big schools grabbing up athletes with big promises, using up the rest of their eligibility and then sending them back home without helping them finish their education. The intentions are moral.

(Ben) #17

Emphasis mine. From ESPN:

More insight from attorney Tom Mars on Justin Fields’ waiver application to Ohio State: “Irrefutable documentation that has nothing to do with racism was presented to the NCAA in support of OSU’s request that Justin Fields be given a waiver. That information wasn’t critical of – and didn’t reflect poorly on – the UGA culture, the UGA administration or staff, any particular student, or the student body. And it certainly didn’t reflect poorly on Justin or any member of his family. However, that documentation did provide support for the issuance of a waiver under the NCAA’s rules.”