Justin Johnson Leaves for Baylor (now Tech)

It is a P5 job and it is a good move for him career wise.
I hope Dana goes outside and brings in another bright young coach.

2 Likes

An Alum who probably left for a higher paying gig.

Can’t blame him for that.

You can’t expect a professional in a particular field to have the same hatred as a casual fan. To a professional it is business.

5 Likes

I think everyone needs to temper their expectations about alumni loyalty when it comes to working.

Just remember the legendary Indiana coach Bobby Knight is a Ohio State alum…among hundreds of other cases.

3 Likes

He came from Kansas, had a cup of tea at TSU and got to UH in less than 12 months. He’s back in the Big 12

We’ll let someone else pay for coaching education. Then, bring him back as a coordinator when he’s graduated.

I thought Dana had a huge salary pull?

When are folks finally going to accept that the coaching profession is just that, a professional career path. Drama queens gonna drama

7 Likes

CDH had the large salary pool but Baylor had more of the pull.

Hope he has success. I have not problem with him trying to advance his career. Everyone should know college coaches go everywhere to get that head coaching job.

1 Like

He wasn’t making much money here so this is a big bump up. It’s important for young coaches to be exposed to a lot of systems and, also, build your network of coaches. As you climb the ladder, you need to be able to call on guys who will want to join you.

6 Likes

Just like Applewhite . . . . .

2 Likes

And pretty much every other coach who’s ever coached and had a prayer at success.

My comment was meant as sarcasm. It was clear to me that Applewhite did not have great connections with the coaching fraternity, or maybe he just did not have time to do that part of his job . . . . .

1 Like

I would like to see us bring in a high school coach on the staff.

1 Like

Yes, EXACTLY like…uh… Yeah, uh, how bout them Astros!!! :flushed:

1 Like

Yes, it’s probably time for this.

1 Like

As soon as a High School head coach has a 5 star son that will follow his dad, hire the dad . . . . .

3 Likes

In the movie, “For Love of the Game,” Keven Costner was talking to a fellow player who signed with another team and asked why he was leaving, Detroit was his team. The guy pointed to his wife and kids and replied, “No, this is my team.” His first obligation is to support his family as best he can.

11 Likes

Yeah, its easy to fixate on the Baylor aspect it and not consider that he got a huge pay bump and chance to advance his career.

Cough cough Jeffcoat cough cough

2 Likes