Kareem Jabbar laughs out loud over MJ named greatest college player

Seriously he should. Kareem was 3 times All American and 3 times player of the year in college.
MJ two times AA and once player of the year.

10 Likes

I agree. Jabber has always been overlooked as the best player ever, but he has my vote.

4 Likes

Kareem was the best. Walton was second. But Big E, Dream and The Glide were way up there.

4 Likes

Lewis Alcindor gets my vote.

And by the way he was First Team High School All American as a Sophomore.

2 Likes

Chamberlain in his prime was as good or better than Kareem

5 Likes

I don’t know if he was better Butch but it would have been a hell of a match in college. However truthfully Wilt was a much better athlete than Kareem, he ran track as well as played Basketball and after he retired he took up playing volley ball at which he excelled as well.

2 Likes

Alcindor was the only player that caused the NCAA to change rules. They outlawed dunking.

3 Likes

I read where John Wooten said it was a myth that Kareem being the reason dunking was outlawed. It was actually the Coogs, when they bent a rim in an NCAA playoff game by putting on a dunking exhibition during warmups. Back then rims were not designed to take the abuse of repeated hard dunks.

I remember watching the game on TV where the rim was bent. In their opening remarks the commentators had a camera focus on the rim, and commenting on what happened during pre-game warmups.

6 Likes

I guess the reason was geographically driven. I was in NY and it was Alcindor. Down in Houston it was the Big E

Judged solely by college performances–

1. Wilt Chamberlin
  2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
  3. Elvin Hayes
  4. Oscar Robertson
  5. Bill Walton
  6. Magic Johnson
  7. Larry Bird
  8. Pete Maravich
  9. Elgin Baylor
  10. Jerry West
6 Likes

Wooden says it was because of UH. And the NCAA rule for free throw shooting because of Wilt the Stilt

2 Likes

What is the rule for free throw shooting?

1 Like

No dunking FTs

11 Likes

Well, the NCAA has always been an enlighten bunch !

1 Like

Chamberlain could take one step and dunk free throws lol

4 Likes

Butch, my imagination is running wild with your comment.

Perhaps the powers that be should consider allowing players to dunk for FT, but they would have to start their running jump behind the FT line. Clyde could take a running jump from the FT line and dunk the rock.

It certainly would make the game more exciting.

1 Like

I watched a program on Oscar Robertson just the other day, he was amazing! Clyde Frazier said there was no one more competitive than Robertson. Winning truly was the only thing to him!

No, his name is Roger Murdock.

2 Likes

“Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.”

8 Likes

What about Ralph Sampson? Didn’t he win player of the year 3 times?