Karen L Sampson (CKS's wife) named to UNCP board of trustees

Sampson said she is thrilled to help make decisions that will advance the university’s mission.

“As a young girl, attending sporting events and witnessing milestones with the name changes, I have always been proud of this institution,” said Sampson, who was raised a block from the university. “I am proud to be a graduate.

“I am honored to be asked and selected, and I look forward to serving my alma mater.”

Sampson, the daughter of Willie Von and Sue Lowry of Pembroke, graduated cum laude with a degree in Early Childhood Education. She taught school before moving to East Lansing, Mich., in 1979 where Kelvin was enrolled in graduate school. She has supported her husband’s 37-year coaching career from Montana Tech to his current position as head coach for the University of Houston.

Sampson has been involved with the Philanthropic Educational Organization for 25 years. She has also chaired the committee for the Washington State Games opening ceremonies. At UNCP, Kelvin, his parents and twin sister established the John W. “Ned” and Eva B. Sampson Endowed Men’s Basketball Scholarship.

She and her husband live in Houston, Texas. They have two adult children, Kellen and Lauren, a daughter-in-law, Tonya, and a granddaughter, Maisy.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/CoachSampsonUH/status/1015673330597318656

1 Like