Kellen on short list for HC job

I will leave the decision to Kellen…I am sure he is getting advice from his dad, and I am pretty sure Kelvin would love to retire in a few years and hand the keys over to his son. But it will be interesting to see how this works out…

For sure. Would hold zero ill will if he wants to make the leap before he gets the opportunity here.

300k - why even waste time looking?

Gravy train here

That may be the correct question.
@JUCOadvocate didn’t say major D1 programs. I do consider UH a major D1 program or Power 7. I think major D1 programs will start looking at Kellen if we can get to the final four maybe 2 out of 3 years. And that’s the problem with success.:unamused:

IF we had that type success, an I hope we do under Kelvin, we will not have any concerns when the time comes and Kelvin retires. We will have great highly respected HC’s with pelts on the wall apply.
I am not anti Kellen. I have zero problem with him taking over for Kelvin when he hangs up the coaching whistle. I am frustrated that Kelvin seems to play games with UH to get what he wants. Why did he and Kellen wait almost a year to sign their agreed to contracts? Were they trying to force other consessions from us? Kelvin seems to be a Leach type guy. By that I mean I will interview every year someplace to force my current employer to pay more or give the program more. I think they both signed recently due to the impact of COVID19 and their leverage and good will was gone.

Stop playing. You don’t sign a contract like that without defining all language in it. It takes time and they have other things on their plate. They weren’t getting paid that contract salary either. Doesn’t make sense for them to ask for something and then delay receiving it.

2 Likes

What is a Powee Five Basketball program?

The Power 5 is made up of the biggest and most popular conferences the SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, Big 12 and ACC. The Group of 5 are lower-level schools in Division I NCAA FBS football. They consist of the Sun Belt, Mountain West, Mid-American and American conferences.

I was being sarcastic …there are NO true Power 5s in basketball with an automatic path the the postseason. In basketball, ANYONE can win it.

2 Likes

True

Covid definitely had to do with why they signed their deals just now. However, it happened right around when the paycuts were announced. It’s possible that Pez or whoever was looking at the deals to come up with the pay decrease and realized the Sampsons never signed theirs.

Either way, it’s kind of mind boggling that these deals don’t get signed sometimes.

Power 5 is the nickname given to the top 5 FBS football conferences since they automatically get playoff bids. There is no such thing as Power 5 in college basketball.

There are quite a few teams in basketball that have made the final four but that will never happen in football since non-P5 football conferences are virtually black balled from the playoffs.

It’s still a designation used for hoops by people even though we don’t like it since we’re not in it. “High major” and Power 6 (Power 5 + Big East) are also used. I’ve also seen Power 7 (Power 6 + AAC) used a few times by national folks.

4 Likes

Yes I have even heard it used it track and field. Can you believe that? I think the media and those at P5 football schools are using it to steer the best athletes to their athletic programs. Power 5 is a marketing tool.

That seems kind of crazy but I don’t think it’s a conspiracy. Schools in the P5 on the whole just tend to have more resources, exposure, etc. overall. It’s just easier for some to delineate schools in that grouping vs. not in that grouping, even though it’s underinclusive for sports outside of football (and especially for something like track).

To be honest Power 6 for hoops bothers me more than P5 since it includes the BE but not us.

2 Likes

Bottom line we need to enjoy this ride while we can. Kellen is going to do what is best for Kellen and we need to take advantage of our 3 year ride .
We previously went through a 30 year drought so treasure the moment

3 Likes

Amen Butch!!

If we make the Final Four, his stock will rise.