Kelvin Sampson contract?

What is the staus of Coach Sampson’s contract? It seems to me that we should be paying more and with a longer term to lock up such a great coach.

1 Like

His contract is through 20-21 and he doesn’t plan to stay forever. His goal is for his son to take over eventually. By 20-21, Kellen would have been an assistant for 11 years in Div I basketball and Kelvin has already said “right now if Kellen took over, this team wouldn’t miss a beat.”

If you disagree with Kelvin, then no amount of money is going to make Kelvin OK with that. Also word has it he was offered a raise and extension before the season started and he basically said not right now. I expect the only raise he will accept is one that doesn’t extend his contract.

2 Likes

To be fair, I think that’s probably what Bobby Knight said about Pat Knight.

I think Kellen has a bright future in coaching, but I hope Kelvin is here for many more years.

5 Likes

Kelvin knew he had a good team in his hands. He just wanted to wait after this season to renew his contract. And maximize his worth. I’m hoping he gives us 5 more years. Unless, he wants to go back to the NBA in some capacity. His stock will be high.

1 Like

He may go to the NBA or something either way he has turned the program around it’s his if he wants it if not UH is in a great place and unrecognizable from 4 years ago.

1 Like

He will merit a salary among the coaching stars in college BB.

Need to work out Kellen’s situation to get CKS to sign.

2 Likes

They’d better not blow this

1 Like

How ? Contract wise ? Coach in waiting clause in contract ?

Yep

1 Like

I suspect this is one continuity hire fans would not oppose.

2 Likes

we’ve got a lot more to lose if Kelvin leaves now than if Kellen were to take over and not be successful for a couple of years

5 Likes

He has turned the program around but we need some continued success in order to solidify our name. Otherwise we are just a program that had a few good years.

1 Like

Hopefully this will be the first one of these Father - Son transitions to actually work out well.

4 Likes

Kelvin has that personality and leader quality. With Kellen you really don’t know until he proves it.

I just know if he renews in the offseason, it will be announced as a 5 year long contract for recruiting purposes.

1 Like

I have heard the same. Have heard two variations re the contract…one that guarantees the ciw and the other deals with the language about the process…whatever that means.

1 Like

Process can mean funding the program x amount of dollars each year ???

The context of “the process” that was told to me dealt with language that while not exactly guaranteeing the job to kellen, made it likely that it would happen. I don’t know how that could be achieved to both party’s satisfaction.

Yeah, if this was 2 years ago, then yes. But this job has become much more attractive. And with the season the basketball team is having, Kelvin can get an annual salary bump from 1.4 million to 3.5 million if they finish strong. Making him the 8th highest paid coach in cbb. So it was smart of him to hold off the renewal of his contract for a year to have more leverage and maximize his value.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, The Athletic had a really good piece about Sampson not long ago. CKS said Kellen is almost ready to be a Head Coach. He also said he doesn’t think UH would hire him.

2 Likes