Kelvin Sampson contract?

The job has become more atttractive because of Kelvin Sampson. UH still has underlying factors that make it not as attract as many think. You would have thought almost every “name” coach in the country would have lined up to replace Guy. Sure some interviewed for leverage to demand better contracts and we ended up with a good coach from a mid-level school who pursued UH rather than vice versa. We lucked into the only 2 good coaches we’ve had since then because they both had baggage

CKS has made UH relevant again and if he thinks Kellen can take over in a few years, then I’m good. Like I said before, we’d all be happy with the top sssistant from one of the best coaches in the country. Just because Levine and Major didn’t work out doesn’t mean Kellen couldn’t be successful.

2 Likes

Maybe CKS is orchestrating his departure from the college game and go back to the NBA soon where he may love the challenge. He’s not getting any younger and he left the Rockets because he saw a chance to help UH become a powerhouse of a program again and improve his profile to maybe get an NBA HC job down the line. Therefore, hyping up his son for the UH job because he may want to stay at the college game and not follow his dad to the NBA.

Remember, CKS was close to going to the Magic but rumor has it he pulled off the race. Maybe realizing he may wait a little longer for a better team at the NBA level.

How about this for a clause. 5 year extension but if he takes the Coogs to a Final Four, he can retire early with no penalty and Kellen will receive a 3 year deal as a sort of “interim.”

1 Like

We desperately need Kelvin for another 3-5 years to get UH firmly established. The UH job is so unique that any coach you bring in would be a crapshoot of some level

6 Likes

If Sampson stays three years beyond this season and takes the Coogs to the Sweet 16 or better UH should not settle for an assistant from somewhere. There will be HCs that recognize the UH job being as good or better than most P5 jobs.

1 Like

Don’t discount that Kelvin loves working with his son and daughter. He might be at that point in his life where that’s more important than a change of scenery or new challenge.

2 Likes

Like Dana :+1:

Im sure there will always be an itch to coach an NBA team. But, in 11 years as an assistant you would think he picked up his dads work habits and ethic. He did say in an interview his son is always working the players out on specific things before practice even starts. If he thinks it would go on seamlessly then that means he’s already has some control and identity. I dont think CKS is the type of guy to just hand things out to anyone.

3 Likes

I’m not so sure there’s an NBA itch. CKS went to the NBA because he had a show cause from the NCAA. I think he was looking for a good spot to get back into college coaching as soon as that expired. I think he really enjoys working with college age young men.

7 Likes

i don’t think CKS is going anywhere. He has everything he needs here to be Elite. He likes coaching in college and at Houston. He poured a lot into the program from the beginning. He’s beginning to see the fruits of his labor. We’re lucky to have CKS at Houston.

10 Likes

we simply cannot allow CKS to leave!

3 Likes

Why would he leave, he said he wants to stay here.

1 Like

Last week when he reflecting on his 600 wins, he said his Dad shared with him that he was a “college” coach. He said that made him interested in U of H. Maybe that will be motivating factor in staying here for a while.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/TulsaHop/status/1090119194136330241
https://twitter.com/TulsaHop/status/1090119664213024768

1 Like

WE have got to get this done with Kelvin as soon as the season is over. If It takes designating Kellen as HC in Waiting then do it. If Kellen takes over and is not successful in 2-3 years, then part ways. I don’t want to hear that we’ve got better facilities now and much more attractive job BS. It’s ALWAYS a crapshoot regardless of what coach you hire. I’ve watched a ton of college basketball over the years including the last couple of seasons. What has OU accomplished since Kelvin left? I remember when everyone was gaga over Lon Kruger several years ago. They lost at home to Baylor, not Duke, by 30 last nite, scoring all of 47. Can you imagine any team in the country coming into FC and doing that? I’d have to check but I don’t think anything close to that happened in the 2014-2015 season. Look at Indiana. With all their tradition and Big 10 $$$s, what have they done lately.

I picked those two schools not to say that they’ve underachieved because Kevin left but that no matter what your situation, there are no sure things in replacing great coaches, and that you better do all you can to keep one.

7 Likes

If he stay another 3 years, Sampson will have 700 wins. I believe he may want to reach 700 wins before he retires, which will place him among the best college coaches of all-time. Even then, he’ll be around UH to advise Kellen, if the program promotes him to HC…

1 Like

If he stays another 7-8 years and averages 25+ wins per year, he will surpass 800 wins in college hoops! I would love to see CKS accomplish college career win #800 in the Fertitta Center in a few years!

[NOTE: That would put him near the Top 10 all-time in Div 1 college hoops! He shouldn’t have to wait to be voted into the college hoops Hall-of-Fame!]

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that be special!! He spent six years in the NBA; otherwise, he would probably be sitting between 750-800 wins.

I doubt anything happens until the end of the season and probably the tournament. Sampson is a smart man and he would give up a lot of leverage if he signs one now.

2 Likes

Just give him a signed blank check already.