Kelvin Sampson contract?

Those of you who think a “high profile” coach would make a better replacement than Kellen, consider Shaka at uta.

3 Likes

How about 16 years and 1,000 wins?

I would offer Kellen CIW even without knowing how good he would be. CKS led us to an undefeated home record in another team’s gym with 1800 fans per game. That buys a ## metrric ton of leverage in my book.

3 Likes

I am ok with kellen getting a shot for Sampson finishing his career here.

1 Like

What could there be to lose for us? From what I’ve seen and heard, Kellen has everything it takes to be a successful HC. We wouldn’t pay him what a “high profile”, “proven” HC, so we should have an affordable buyout if he’s not successful.

1 Like

I know your kidding, but if that were to happen…how many NC would UH have?

3 Likes

Greg Marshall is making $3 million a year at Wichita State. Could we afford to pay CKS $5 million a year and make him then 4th highest paid coach in all of CBB?

4 + incentives? We just spent a ton on football… I’m not saying hes not worth every single penny but we need to check what he wants more. A paycheck or a legacy saying his family works here indefinitely. For job security.

1 Like

How much money do u think we have? Paying football coach 4 mil per year and u want to pay BB coach more than football coach? I doubt Fertitta is gonna spend that much, we better get some butts’ in the seats for football lol

2 Likes

I’m just spit balling here :joy: I think Tilman is going to fall in love sitting courtside in his own arena with a packed house like it’s a rockets game. That alone might make him back up the brinks truck again lol

1 Like

I agree with you. I think CKS is paving the road for his kids. That is long term investment.

1 Like

CKS is the patriarch of the Coog sports renaissance that we have going on right now. He’s more a fixture than Sumlin or Herman were, and he’s accomplished more than Briles (short of recruiting Case). If he takes this team to the E8 this year then he has arguably asserted himself as the face of Cougar sports. I think people on Cullen will look at what he’s accomplished here respective of what he took over and offer him a respectful and attractive package that is competitive nationally.

2 Likes

Pretty interesting topic. I just can’t wait what type of class he can bring for 2020. Top 20 is possible :raised_hands::raised_hands::pray:

1 Like

Not NO but HELL NO…

Why wouldn’t you pay the basketball coach at least the same amount when under the current landscape we can make more money in basketball than football?

1 Like

You will never make football money, no matter how good you are in basketball

Look at the revenue of every elite basketball only schools, they make less revenue most AAC/mwc

Money is in football… Also not sure where people think Tillman is giving us a blank check…there is likely a limit to it, and there should be reason to it… paying a coach over a million more than than coaches who have taken their current teams to final 4s doesn’t seem reasonable… (had to pay Dana to get him to leave)

2 Likes

How much money do you think football netted in the last 2 seasons? Hell, throw in 2016.

Money is not in football when you’re not in a P5 league, unless one buys into the pipe dream that you are playing in a NY6 bowl year-in, year-out. That would basically equate to expect you’re going to the Final 4 every year.

dramatically more than basketballl…people need to realize there is dramatically more money in football than tv revenues…there is dramaitcally more money in football than bowl distributions

the average aac revenue is 40-45mill …only 2mil of that is coming from the tv deal, only 1mil of that is coming from the bowl

we have this debate every offseason when some random uconn fan says there should join the big east, and move their football to the fcs…as the big east is making almost double the aac in “tv money”
but here’s the thing, uconn football is horrible, and hasnt been good in basketball in 6 years and uconn is still making 4 to 5x more money than the highest paid basketball only school/ or with fcs football school (which includes every big east team)

2 Likes

I’m talking net, bottom-line

This photo from uhcougars.com shows me that Kellen isn’t ready to be Head Coach yet. Kelvin looks like he’s standing in line at the DMV while everybody around him is celebrating. I’m sure it’s not easy to contain all your emotions like that. Only comes with decades of watching your team hit big shots…

1 Like