Kelvin Sampson contract?

Once again the average game through only the first week of the ncaa tourney will average nearly 12 million viewers.

I bet there aren’t 12 million people in the country that have heard of Levine and/or Applewhite.

Except we will likely ‘never’ win a championship in football. Basketball is a different story…i just hope we can retain Sampson. Look at what is happening at SMU…they are nobodies again.

5 Likes

IMHO, more than 12 million will remember apple from his QB confrontation days with Chris Simms @ uta . . . . .

Maybe. But being a revenue sport doesn’t alleviate the enormous expenses during off years. Sampson has the capacity to drive enormous visibility for the school while spending very little on his 12 man roster.

If we go in as a 3 seed expend a ton of media on campus doing exposés on the Sampson Effect.

2 Likes

Sampson is a rare incredible coach. We need to treat him like it. As long as he is here we will
be a powerhouse. Plus, he feels like a real coog in contrast to Major and some others we have had
here.

2 Likes

He gone!

Best coach in the country…shssssss…love this guy!!!

1 Like

Fratittas not stupid…he will make him an offer he can’t refuse!,

You have inside info on your prediction…didn’t think so!!!

That’s a bit harsh… he’s simply pumped…I like it!!

1 Like

Football is also much more expensive. I’m not going to look up the numbers (feel free to if you want to prove your point though), but I’d be pretty shocked if most AAC/MWC football programs are more profitable than top tier basketball programs, or even close.

Like Rupp Arena has ~24k announced attendance 20ish times a year. Season tickets in the 200 level (way up) are $1,100 a year. I can’t fathom how 6 or 7 Wyoming home football games and any OOC road team payouts make anything close.

kentucky doesnt prove your point as they also have football, and mega tv contracts, that isnt comparable you cant differentiate what is what…

thats why i chose the big east elites…none of them are even kinda touching what a school that has football is (they have estabailished and won 2 of the last 3 titles)…and they have the edge on tv money so you cant use tv money as an excuse vs aac/mwc .if basketball was that profitable someone is their ranks should have been up there…non are

and the expenses thing doesnt tell alot as no one in college athletics is out to make a profit…they make expenses to match the their revenues, for example if they have excess revenue , they get a private jet for recruiting etc…almost everyone expense to revenue is identical in almost every program…we dont know any hardline expenses and optional expenses

Man, that’s an apples to apples comparison.

So your point is that “making money” is dictated solely by revenue and not expenses? That doesn’t make sense. We had to collect $17 million in fees in 2017 from the general student population just to balance our budget. I doubt any elite Big East program had to collect close to that much (prove me wrong though). If your definition of making more money through football means having more revenue, but having a less profitable athletic department that needs to collect money in the form of student fees, then sure. But I’m not sure why that’s a good thing.

Theres no money issue in regards to the contract. All about, Kellen’s role in the future.

1 Like

True, although I did hear they were about $1M apart. Of course that could be all-in for staff as well.

1 Like

i never said that… i said we have no way to evaluate what is mandatory expense and optional expenses so it would be impossible to tell what is more “profitable” …almost every program in the nation matches their expenses to their revenue…if texas has extra revenue theyd renovate something

also houston just built a ton of facilities, houston collects more student fees than almost anyone in the country …you keep pointing to specifc examples to define a general statement

the most revenue generating basketball programs ((no fbs football) is 25-35 million depending on your source…there are 80 mill revenue generating aac programs

watch “requiem of the big east” the 30 for 30, big east basketball coaches and AD openly admit that basketball could never compete with football and their biggest mistake was adding football as it would become priority

These are the two things I could find with a minimal search.

This shows Marquette basketball had an operating profit of $7.5 million in 2016-2017 and UH football had an operating loss of $6.5 million in 2015. There are some unknowns and potential holes with this data, but I think it is extremely likely that UH football loses money (not even counting costs of facility upgrades and other difficult to allocate items you mentioned) and Marquette basketball makes money. I think nearly every G5 football program loses money. I’m guessing most of the elite Big East basketball programs are profitable and also wouldn’t be shocked if a school like Gonzaga turns a profit with their basketball program.

these arent comparing the same thing…if you read that Marquette article in context they are operating in a loss

the houston article states it does not include any student fees or any university money

but the Marquette information includes the money they from students and the university

"“We’re not a self-funding operation, and there’s only 24 of 356 programs that are self-funded,” Broeker said. “We do an incredibly good job of providing a significant base for ourselves, but ultimately the university has to help us too.”

they are operating in the red with out the university…he makes that very clear but says they are doing typical for a “non football program”

and that marquette article literally speaks to my point …the full thing speaks to the notion that its impossible to tell the real profit and loss of a program…and notes that a university picks and chooses its expenditures on the benefits it can bring
if a university has a 10 mill revenue, and only 3 million in “fixed” operating expense and then decides to get a state of the art cryochamber medical center for 7mil…that will show a net profit of 0…by your definition that is not a profitable program…when the reality is they are 7mil profitable and created a 7 mill expense they didnt have to make…
you cant tell the real profitability of program without lookng at the balance sheets and no university makes indepth releases of that to the public
revenue atleast tell you what they can bring in

SMU just has no depth. They have some players. Just have to ride out the Larry Brown sanctions.