Kelvin Sampson contract?

Who cares…they knew what they were getting when they hired Brown…a known cheater at college level.

This is the SMU MO !!!

1 Like

Ha that’s really a moot point altogether.

They still have some players. There coach seems solid. They should be good again in a couple years. They’re not going anywhere.

When he says operating at a loss he’s talking about the entire athletic department, not the basketball program. Here are the two relevant quotes.

“Although the other 13 Division I sports produce some revenue, men’s basketball is the only consistent provider of large profits. In 2016-’17, men’s basketball spent $11,803,633 but pulled in $19,327,629 for a 38.9 percent margin.”

“(Men’s basketball) funds every other program we have,” Broeker said. “(Other sports) produce revenue … but there’s no surplus running off those programs.”

Maybe he’s considering student fees to be allocated only to the revenue of men’s basketball but that would be a really weird way to look at it, unless they are optional student fees that Marquette students must pay if they want to go to basketball games, in which case that’s a lot different than what we do and would be totally fair to consider as basketball revenue.

I’m anxiously waiting for us to get Kelvin Sampson locked in with a long term contract. I’ll make his goldfish the HCIW is that get’s him to sign a 10 year contract.

1 Like

From the Pete Thamel article,

“This is the best job I’ve ever had,” Sampson said. “I really thought about Orlando [last year], but I had a hard time messing with happy. I haven’t sat down and talked with Houston yet about this deal. I want to see what their attitude is before I do anything.”

1 Like

Sampson will sign for anything as long as Kellen is named the HCIW. I truly believe that is all Kelvin cares about.

3 Likes

Attitude… They would be ecstatic to give you a hefty raise… And keep pumping money to the basketball program.

Not completely true…the dynamics have changed since the big bucks have been given to the FB program. While Kellen is still part of the equation, it is no longer the main area of focus.

1 Like

Salary should be an issue after the money they threw at a program that has a lower ceiling than basketball unless we get in a P5 conference. I certainly realize that football brings in more revenue than basketball but what is the “bottom line” difference.

What Kelvin is accomplishing with the basketball program can be sustained. Of course we are not going to be 25-1 every season after 26 games but can be a consistent threat to play several weekends into the Tourney. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t agree with many who think we’ll be playing in NY6 bowls year-in and year-out. Herman couldn’t even sustain for consecutive seasons what we did in 2015.

4 Likes

CKS salary? Pay the man! Give him the money and assurances that he wants. Do that, and we are on our way to being a national championship contender. Keep CKS, Kellen, Lauren, and Mrs. Sampson happy.

Go Coogs. Peace.

3 Likes

It’s obvious that Thamel guy doesn’t like UH and wants good coaches to leave.

3 Likes

Agree, we need to sign coach to at least a four or five year extension…he has brought this program back from the dead. From what I have heard his son is going to be a good head coach at sometime. So if we have to gamble and include that in the next contract then it is worth the gamble.
And I do know that Kellen is a top notch recruiter and is well respected locally and beyond…

2 Likes

Trust me agsin when I say this: Renu and Tilman are 5 steps ahead of All of us on this Board when it comes to Sampson Salary…no worries, they WILL lock him and his family down to keep them happy. They know we struck GOLD with this hire!

6 Likes

The most important contract of the last 35 years.

2 Likes

How does that work by designating Kellen the coach in waiting?!

P5 programs do it all the time. We are now in a situation thay we can. Bet Duke have one.

1 Like

Dr. Kator convinced him to take the job after he initially said no. Mr. Fertitta convinced him to stay once Mr. Fertitta said yes…to putting up 20 mil for the arena redo. Lock that down.

3 Likes

If he wants another building, give it to him. He’s a big time college coach.

2 Likes

We’ve been trying to get him to sign an extension since last Spring. Hold up had been Kellen as head coach in waiting and parity with what Marshall and Cronin get pAID. Now it seems Kelvin will get a competitive offer outside to gauge value. Nothing will happen unThis text will be blurredtil probably at least May

1 Like

What do they get paid, and why not offer his kid coach in waiting?__…shoot, he has learned from the best…

1 Like