Kelvin Sampson versus Dana Holgorsen

You mean like in person? No. I was busy living a million miles from the 3rd Ward. Am I allowed to be a Coog? BREAKING NEWS: People get their degree from UH then leave Texas the next day. I digress. I was at the first road game of CKS era versus Murray State. C’mon guys we were frustrated with CKS the first few years we were much improved but got bounced consistently from the AAC tourney first round and I already wrote about the NIT frustrations.

CKS always had a consistent culture agree with that no doubt. Rob and Corey were the players who got the program rolling IMO. Let’s give CDH time to get his guys in here.

2 Likes

Winning games is ambiguous. I love Sampson, a lot. The Michigan loss hurt. The Kentucky loss hurt. Both acceptable seasons. It’s a little early in DH tenure to deem individual wins and losses success or failure. The first couple seasons of Sampson were rough. There were people calling for his head! Hmmmm sounds familiar…

1 Like

Little easier to win in basketball than football in Texas - let’s be honest. Everyone is trying their hardest in football and basketball is an afterthought. When you put effort in hoops it pays off as you only need several players.

KS has done a great job but it’s hard to compare him to DH. Even trying to build a baseball program in Texas is harder.

2 Likes

Let’s not forget his first year CKS was 13-19 overall and 4-14 in AAC play. Yeah, he had inherited a poor team. Then he did better in in 2nd year. 22-10 overall and 12-6 in AAC. A lot of those OOC wins in both years were against poor teams like Rio Grand, Murray State, HBU, Prairie View, etc. that allowed him to tune up before conference or tough opponents.

Dana inherited a poor team with no depth as well, but all it takes in basketball to make a big jump is to add a couple of good players. In football it takes more players and time. Last year Dana’s 1st team was similar to CKS’s first year. This year Dana has not had the benefit of playing tune up games against Rice and North Texas. We were tuning up with Tulane, who had already had several games and 4-0 BYU who has one of the best offenses in the country and is a veteran team.

So when comparing apples and oranges you should at least give consideration for the differences. Hindsight is great, but in order to compare the two’s records, you should also do it for the same time frame. Come back in a few years and then say how CDH did as opposed to CKS. I suspect CKS will still have the advantage, but I think CDH will have improved tremendously. Some patience is needed.

3 Likes

We are looking for stability in our program…we’ve tried the hot shot coordinators and the internal hires but where did it eventually lead us? This is something new and we are gonna have to wait it out just a bit.

Dang. I wish we had gotten the memo that it is easier to win in basketball than football. We wouldn’t have been sleeping at the wheel for 30+ years.

1 Like

Hey. Don’t think I was taking a shot at your Coog fandom. Just wanted to see if you had the same experiences that my wife and I did going to the games the first couple of years.

I don’t blame anyone for not going that first year or two. Our basketball program was putrid. Sampson turned this thing around, though.

All good. I had a few in me when I made that response. Apologies. This thread has been a good discussion. Love the Sampson family.

Where you been at @dansatjr I don’t see you on the basketball :basketball: forum anymo. What are you doing hanging around these degenerates in the football :football: side. They get pretty easily triggered over here lol.

1 Like

Thanks 2020. I took a few months off of sports when there were no sports. The AAC and national tournaments being taken from us like that was brutal. We were really looking good. Looking forward to the hoops team playing I’ll be over on the thread. I have some recruiting news to catch up on I know.

1 Like

Sorry guys but this thread is stupid. As mentioned before when this topic surfaced last year, it is WAY HARDER to build a football program than it is a basketball program. Way more variables and players in football. CKS Is an elite coach and CDH is having his fair share of struggles, but the two in regards to building aren’t comparable. Back off a bit.

6 Likes

Agreed. No reason to create a wedge between our two “money” coaches. Stop it.

3 Likes

People just need to be real with themselves. I talk the most mess and talk up our Coogs, but I can cope with a loss. As soon as we beat a ranked SMU team or go on a run in conference play, people will come back and say they were wrong about CDH.

It was our second game against a team that was on their 5th and folks are already comparing apples to oranges. We lost and will have a good year and none of that has to do with our success in basketball. The comparisons only come out when we lose. Lol

3 Likes

Or target at any time…practice or game and no discipline for it

You’re right about the building not being comparable. I have yet to see Dana ever build anything.

Again. I wish we would have gotten the memo for the 30+ years that we were snoozing about how easy it is to build a basketball program. Kelvin has built a top 20 program in the entire country. He inherited a program that was sub 200. Stop.

I understand you’re frustrated but you’re wrong if you think it’s easier to get AT LEAST 11 men 3 deep up and running than it is to get 5 guys and a few rotations up and running.They don’t even have the same playbook depth in basketball as football. They’re not even remotely mathematically equivalent. Please step away from the ledge. It’ll be alright.

3 Likes

I’m not frustrated. Football is just something to do until basketball season rolls around.

1 Like

Ok well I hope it becomes enjoyable to you soon. That would mean we’re winning. lol

Lol. Once you have realized you can win the whole thing in basketball, football will take a back seat. We just don’t have the same opportunities for a championship here.

I just want to see one game where we don’t get manhandled by a good team in the second half. That is literally my only expectation. I didn’t have this illusion that we would be undefeated this season. And BYU is a good team.

2 Likes

I think last night stings for a lot of us because we had em! Took me some time to come down off of the Bud Light and excitement, but I honestly think it was bad timing.

There are some things we can clean up that gave them touchdowns…like the two missed tackles that would have pushed them to 3 and out. They scored after both of those plays. Fix that, and basketball will take a back seat because football is still king on our great state. :sunglasses: