King is a stud talent, just not in this system

DK is a tough loss. He was responsible for 55 TDs in the Briles system. Had he not damaged his knee with 2 games left he easily breaks the all-time mark.

He is very good on 1st and 2nd read, then take off. VERY much like Jalen Hurts was a OU…though Hurts OLine kept him clean all game.

DK is NOT a survey the field in 3 seconds guy like Keenum or the kid that played at WSU. Some people see the entire field, others have more tunnel vision, but can make it up with athleticism.

Tune takes too long to surgery the field. Hence many of the sacks. If we are going to run this offense we need a person with the talent to see the field and find the open man quickly.

I wish nothing but good things for DK. He had some amazing plays. But like Ed Oliver he ended up under the wrong coach.

Go Coogs

5 Likes

King has really good highlights and stats that didn’t always result in wins. Especially against good teams. P5 dumpster fires like Arky and Miami are convinced he’s superman and will save their programs. He won’t. He’s not Jalen Hurts he’s not Burrow. Not down on the guy, he’s a Coog but that’s my objective take.

6 Likes

@uhredcat96

I disagree. He is a stud regardless of the system. He needed another off season to get better and perfect the system.

3 Likes

So many sour grapes on this forum. King is one of the better QBs in college football. We were fortunate to have him.

4 Likes

Let’s see if he reads quicker this coming season, assuming he’s the guy on game day. In any case, a QB needs 2 full seconds, depending on the routes called. Tune rarely had that.

3 Likes

My observation is: great coaches build their systems around the athletes they have.

3 Likes

This! Nick Saban says and follows this :100:%

In 2018, we snapped the ball so quickly that our opponents were gassed and/ or confused early and often. As a result, it masked our offensive line’s inefficiencies in pass protection as the defensive line was too tired or not in position to apply pressure on the quarterback as we marched down the field not allowing them to make substitutions. Also, our up tempo became so fast that opposing defenses would fall into a basic front as they did not have time to orchestrate creative blitzes or mix up looks in an attempt to confuse D’Eriq with his reads. Fast forward to this year, we slowed things down for the opposing defense and the defense won out more times than not as our pass protection took a nosedive. D’eriq King was sacked 12 times in the first 4 games and was only completing roughly half of his throws (despite the # of screen plays we ran) and his offensive stats fell accordingly. He didn’t even complete half of his throws in his last game at Tulane where he missed on at least two cringeworthy should be touchdowns that cannot be explained away as anything other than just badly thrown balls. Good luck to D’eriq. It is true, he belongs in a Briles’ offense where speed and predetermined plays minimize the importance of understanding coverages and making throws in the pocket with pressure in your face.

6 Likes

Exactly. The thing is, that offense that he needs, does not happen in the NFL

3 Likes

I don’t know about hi ability to “surgery the field” but I do know that a QB has to have 4 seconds to read the receivers and deliver the ball. Tune didn’t have that time.

2 Likes

We all saw the Dana system in 2008-2009 .

Was developed with Case Keenum at QB. Case took it to another level in 2011 and had Kliff Kingsbury as OC, a protege of Mike Leach as was Dana.

Ever seen anybody like D’Eriq King run a Leach offense? Were Kingsbury and Keenum and other Texas Tech QB’s like King?

Have Leach’s Washington St. QB’s been like King…or Keenum?

And there you have it. Manvel High ran the RPO. Tom Herman ran the RPO at UH. Then so did Major.

Dana/Leach/Kingsbury et al need Case Keenum at QB, not King.

And thus King is gone.

2 Likes

Time in the pocket is always relative to protection and what the defense is bringing. The patriots were so ruthless with their cover zero blitz that Sam Darnold “was seeing ghosts” on Monday Night football. Sure, there are times where a pass rusher whips your offensive lineman and you have to take the sack but there is no magic amount of time, 4 seconds for instance, that a quarterback must have to be successful on any given play. If the defense brings more guys than you can block then the quarterback needs to make a quick read and get the ball out to the right matchup. If the quarterback doesn’t see the blitz and holds the ball for more than a couple seconds than that is on him.

Good thing we play college football.

1 Like

True but his dad’s big deal is that he is setting up DK to get drafted. In this system, he’s shown he does not have the goods. He has something to prove and he won’t be able to prove it in a system that that has no multiple reads.

It will be difficult to prove, but not impossible my friend. Tell joe burrow, kyler Murray, Russ Wilson, and the boy playing for the browns that. God bless America. Anything is possible.

I appreciate your replying but honestly, if you want me to read it, use paragraphs.

@section230rocks
Who are you talking to?

Cooggrad16 but really everyone.

@section230rocks

Lol. That’s an interesting preference… And kind of an odd response. Whatever…I’m pissed because I don’t have CBSSN and can’t watch the b-ball game without going to the bar.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

You got it! While I’m at it, is there a certain spacing you prefer? :joy:

1 Like