King to Miami - confirmed

Whoever the QB is at UH should inherit one heck of a team. Whether it’s Masood, Tune or Holgy Jr.

1 Like

What strikes me the most about the move is that there are folks here saying that King isn’t an Air Raid QB, yet he is going to start up a new offense under Rhett Lashlee who last ran the air raid.

If King lights it up, it will really put the spotlight on Dana.

it wont be Holgy Jr lol

Miami plays in the Coastal Division of the ACC. Almost every team in that division is a QB away from being the sacrificial lamb in the CCG. He can generate a lot of exposure for himself with a decent year.

First time writer in this site. Please, stop talking about King and the other players that left our sport programs. Who really care where they moved to, the important thing is that they are Cougars anymore. Lets concentrate with the players that we have and support them in the good and bad times.

4 Likes

The issue is that King is STILL a Coog. We can argue about all the small stuff, but he is a degree holder from the University of Houston; last time I checked, that organization’s mascot is the cougar.

What’s also funny is that people want to support transfers that come in, but not guys who leave the program. If that doesn’t scream disgruntled individual(s), then I don’t know what else to say. To take it a step further, people not only welcome transfers from horn and aggy, but they also follow said aggy enough to create a thread for him: Kyle Allen - Season 3 (Traded to Washington)

If we support new Coogs (transfers) then we need to support Coogs with degrees that have been here longer than transfers.

Maybe some of you have forgot what it means to be a Forever Coog!

4 Likes

We have players leave all the time. It’s not until a premier player of ours leaves that we get bent out of shape about it. Last time I really cared before King (that I can remember) was Sims. Those were both moves that completely change the dynamic of the next season. How often do we get another teams top line player transferring in?

And yes, King does have a degree and will always be a Cougar. That said, if he goes on to get drafted and/or play in the league, he will introduce himself as: “D’Eriq King, The U”.

1 Like

Those were both moves that completely change the dynamic of the next season.

Nothing changed IMO. King hardly played in 2019,and the QB that did is still here. Now if Tune left and we were expecting King to return, then yes, the dynamic changed. Most here had him gone (see the many “he gone” posts). Now that he actually left, the dynamic can’t be all that different.

Maybe not all that often, but we have been getting more in than guys leaving, and that’s something people should be happy about. It could be a lot worse (nearly OT: aggy has one scholarship runningback :joy:).

The latter will probably be dependent on how he’s treated by the fan base. I will say we’re not off to a good start!

2 Likes

It changes the dynamic if CDH was expecting him back. If not, I’m sure CDH has been planning for it. I guess him leaving before the billboards went up is a positive.

2 Likes

During the Tulsa game the Power House commercial ran and Chris Harris pulled the jersey out of the locker instead of King. I think they were well ahead of this in that department. lol IDK friend. I can’t pretend that this all isn’t bitter sweet because it is. There are reasons to be disappointed with King, but I can think of more reasons to be proud of the guy as well.

1 Like

Here’s the change.

I really wish I was a person who could genuinely wish him well and hope he succeeds. It’s just not in me. UH sports, and sports for me in general, is all about my gut. I can’t fake it and I can’t change how I feel. When I watch our guys it’s the same as when I watch my own kids. Seeing someone I rooted for so hard up and leave just gets me in a bad spot. I know he fulfilled his duty here and it’s his right to go elsewhere but still.

6 Likes

With me, it’s the WAY he did it. That’s what p**d me off. Bad PR for UH.

Frankly, he wasn’t suited for Dana’s system. I was frustrated with his play last season.

3 Likes

I think it would look worse for CDH than it would for UH. I mean, King’s had just as many coaches as the Browns, prior to CDH and now he leaves. What’s the new variable that the public will attribute the change to? CDH. It may have just been a bad fit, and I can understand that. But it is also important to realize that UH has been a place people want to transfer to. Having high profile guys leave is new but not going to be a prevalent thing.

I had to revisit this because I found something I thought might give you a little chuckle. lol

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1191171955841519616?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^embeddedtimeline|twcon^timelinechrome&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fplayer%2Ftrevonte-sylvester-46085685%2F

2 Likes

Either way King used us. It’s not a good look (redshirting seniors to let them transfer).

2 Likes

We were ranked #91 in passing offense. We didn’t run the air raid. The offense last year was ground and pound to take as much time off the clock as possible because CDH knew we didn’t have the depth to compete for 4 quarters. I think he will open it up much more this year.

3 Likes

can we take this down already?

1 Like

…and we used King.

5 Likes

Sure. It looks bad but I think it looks worse and there could be potentially worse consequences if our starting QB asks for a redshirt to develop better and take a run the following season and our coach says no, kicks him off the team and then he transfers. The consequences of him “getting played” aren’t really that bad either. It looks bad for a few days now and the speculation about King was probably a distraction during the season. But I don’t think it would have been a clean break during the season had Dana just kicked him out of the program. It’s probably a cleaner break now. None of his teammates seem to be wishing him well on his way out. I think they are probably done with him and ready to move on. Had Dana kicked him off the team my guess is plenty in the locker room would have second guessed that decision.

D’eriq and his father put Dana and the program in a bad situation. The only valid way to lay this on Dana here is if you want to blame his coaching for the 1-3 start and/or D’eriq’s regression last year.

2 Likes