Knight Commission: Separate I-FBS football from the NCAA

Interesting recommendation. All other sports, as well as I-FCS football, would remain.

3 Likes

What happens to G5 and Independents not Notre Dame???

Presumably they would separate from the NCAA as well, though this article says nothing about whether there would still be P5 v G5, or not.

2 Likes

Very interesting. I don’t know how this would work from a mechanical perspective – would the conferences remain the same? Why or why not? How would student-athletes in other sports feel about football being formally separated from the rest of the sports? Who would govern the new league and what would be substantively different than the NCAA’s governance?

Arne Duncan’s probably more equipped to answer those questions than I am, but they have to be answered.

1 Like

P5/G5 is an ESPN $$$$ created expression. It has no mention in the actual FBS world.

7 Likes

The separation of P5/G5 is definitely an ESPN agenda.

The Power conferences (and Notre Dame) are actually separate from the rest of FBS conference as they are designated as ‘autonomous conferences’. So there actually exists a difference between the Power conferences and the so-called G5.

So technically, there are the Power Conferences and the remaining five conferences, but since the inception of alignment the last 15 or so years and the CFP, ESPN has been driving to create further separation between the two categories.

2 Likes

The article explicitly describes separating the Power conferences from the rest of, as the call them, ‘lower level conferences’ who would remain under the NCAA’s umbrella. This is definitely promoting the Power conference break from the rest of FBS fulfilling ESPN’s dream of a P5 playoff and a G5 playoff.

I would hope that this would alarm the UH admin and any other school with ambitions to move up or elevate the AAC to ‘power’ level. This would be a disaster for those ambitions

3 Likes

Laughing out loud. The rich institutions get richer. The rich executives and coaches get richer.

But not a dime for the kid from the ghetto that makes them rich and really has no chance to graduate.

Unbelievable what these administrators will do.

2 Likes

The article said they considered that, but is not recommending it and decided to focus on the FBS-level.

From article:

Duncan said the group also considered the idea of creating a new division just for schools in the Power 5 conferences, which operate on much larger budgets than most of their peers thanks in large part to money generated from media rights deals and their own television networks. The last split of that magnitude occurred nearly 50 years ago when the NCAA divided its schools into three divisions in 1973.

Ultimately, the Knight Commission decided that the gap between an FBS-level football program and the non-revenue sports on that same campus was wider and the source of more problems than the gap between

The following means FCS, DII, DIII.

Lower levels of football would also remain under the NCAA’s purview.

2 Likes

I would rather remain in NCAA and be able to play in the NCAA BB tourney.

2 Likes

From what I understand, bb would remain the same as it is now and just the fbs div would break away which includes all fbs teams.They’re doing this to not have to pay the players on the football side bc they feel the feds and states are going to someday force them to pay. Correct me if I’m wrong. The part about just the p5 breaking away was just considered but not advocated.

3 Likes

That’ll work for a while. It’ll start with the Olympic sports and the non-revenue sports, since to the NCAA they’re a cost anyway, and then one year basketball will be pulled into the new P5 association, and then the NCAA becomes the NAIA.

1 Like

The proposal from the NCAA to be voted on in January, is to let players make money off their name, image and likeness. Players will make money from advertising or selling their autographs. Schools will not have to give players no more than what they are giving them now.

1 Like

We seem to be headed toward a ~64 team semi-pro football league housed on college campuses. In fact, we largely there already, but are still acting like its part of the normal college educational experience using mostly unpaid “student-athletes.”

Expect the Feds to enact new tax legislation on this major college/semi-pro football enterprise as it breaks away from the NCAA. I can see the numbers going something like this:

Revenues (TV, Tickets, etc.) $50,000,000 to $100,000,000/year
Operating Expenses:
Players costs
100 players @ $30K/player = 
$3,000,000/year
Coaching staff costs - deduction capped at say = $7,000,000/year
Other program costs - deduction capped at say =.$3,000,000/year

So these major college FB program Revenues ~$75,000,000/year less Deductible expenses of ~$13,000,000/year leaves an average major college/semi-pro team’s taxable income at say $60,000,000+/year.

So at a 30% corporate tax rate each team would owe ~$18 million/yr x 64 teams = ~$1.15 billion/yr. Now I’m sure they’d allow some sort of depreciation on the facilities but it would still allow the Feds to rake in an unprecedented amount of $$$ for the new regime to use to combat global warming, and for new initiatives for such things as green energy, reparations, re-education, whatever

[NOTE: This is why programs like UT-austin, ATM, Ohio State, etc. which are currently netting more than $100,000,000/year from their FB programs are being careful to try to slowly crawl out from underneath their NCAA faux amateur athletics umbrella “ruse.”]

1 Like

How do you know that ‘lower level’ does not mean the G5? The article is not clear on what is considered ‘lower level’

1 Like

Don’t you think you’re a tad bit extreme with those numbers? Wow, that’s a lot of zeros.

It’s how they laid out the context. When the article mentions “level”, it says FBS-level (P5,G5), that means “lower level” pertains to FCS, DII and DIII.

Ultimately, the Knight Commission decided that the gap between an FBS-level football program . . .

1 Like

No! Many (if not most) of the top P5 programs are already netting those kind of profits which they are currently using to subsidize their non-revenue sports, to “over-pay” their FB coaching staffs, and to keep building newer, bigger facilities in what continues to be an all-out arms race for supremacy.

Common sense should tell you that when the FB coach is paid 5 to 7 times more than the college President is paid, then there’s a really BIG disconnect. That being the case, this is really no longer about amateur sports or student/athletes anymore - but it’s semi-pro sports teams using colleges as their home base in the form of a tax avoidance “dodge.” And they’re using the NCAA’s non-profit historical status as well as Title IX requirements as their “cover.” It will be interesting to see how much longer they can get away with it.

2 Likes

It’s middle class kids playing football mostly - the ghetto areas ain’t producing the same talent.

That’s why UT is what it is - a bunch of 5 star middle to upper middle kids who ain’t that hungry coming from high school palaces.

When UT was at its peak it was no coincidence the urban districts produced better talent so you had a hungrier kid

1 Like

Nick Saban is finding kids. Herman just isn’t trying or losing them. End of story.

2 Likes