Kyle Allen gonzo

to be fair he wasnt beaten out by most of them. he won the starting job in every school he has ever been to (including kenny hill)…murray only had 2 starts mid season but allen got back the starting job right after that…allen left as the starter at A&M…postma didnt so much beat him out but played really well to at his opportunity…watch the tech post game. major clearly shows he just pulled allen becuase he just wanted to switch it up for that game alone to finish out…not so much bench to allen

Well he’s training with some of the top guys in his position in this year’s draft
https://twitter.com/Teamsupercade/status/951663422030032896

1 Like

Applewhite was under pressure to win and still is because of Coog instant expectations BUT no one couldve had a winning season with our offense. Yet he was 93.9% effective and even in his first game was 78%. If he can fix his risk taking he will be another case keenum in the NFL and i believe he can be.
https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/909428400145747968

1 Like

You are assuming he will be invited to the combine.
National Scouting Combine:
The NFL Scouting Combine is a week-long showcase occurring every February at Lucas Oil Stadium (and formerly at the RCA Dome until 2008) in Indianapolis, where college football players perform physical and mental tests in front of National Football League coaches, general managers, and scouts. With increasing interest in the NFL Draft, the scouting combine has grown in scope and significance, allowing personnel directors to evaluate upcoming prospects in a standardized setting. Its origins have evolved from the National, BLESTO,[1] and Quadra Scouting organizations in 1977 to the media event it has become today.

Athletes attend by invitation only. Implications of an athlete’s performance during the combine can affect their draft status and salary, and ultimately their career. The draft has popularized the term “workout warrior”, whereby an athlete’s “draft stock” is increased based on superior measurable qualities such as size, speed, and strength, despite having an average or sub-par college career.[2][3][4] The 2017 NFL scouting combine occurred from February 28, 2017 to March 6, 2017.

Regional Combines:
The National Football League launched the NFL Regional/Super Regional Combines program in 2012 to serve as a supplement to the League’s National Scouting Combine. They are designed to provide an opportunity for participants to display their pro potential.

NFL Regional Combines are conducted specifically for persons eligible for the 2017 NFL draft that are not participating in the National Scouting Combine.

NFL Regional Combines are not fantasy camps. Applicants must meet NFL eligibility rules and be able to perform at a high skill level. The NFL reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject any applicant it determines to be unqualified or unfit to compete.

NFL Regional Combines are held in NFL club facilities and participants are tested and reviewed by experienced NFL scouting personnel. Participants’ measurements and Combine results, including video of their drills, are compiled and entered into a database accessible to all 32 NFL clubs. This data will be posted to the Regional Combines website after each event. Each participant will be able to access their profile page containing their results and video and have the option to share their page socially via email, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

Jordan Palmer (Carson brother) UTEP then @ decade as an NFL back up is “the guy” in CA for QB training.

Works with many of the famous West Coast QBs.

Great spot for KA to really get everything broken down & rebuilt and Palmer has the connections to get KA drafted. (of course KA needs to handle things in pre draft/combine/pro day, etc)

I was initially thinking he’d transfer somewhere with a huge hole at QB that runs a pro-style offense. Upon a first read of this news I thought this was insane, but it makes some sense depending on his thought process. He’s got his degree and already had one transfer not really work out for him. His physical tools are going to get him a shot at the league. He can find out if he can make it to the NFL and if he can’t then he can just move on to the next chapter of his life. In any event, he seems nice and I wish him nothing but the best.

1 Like

I don’t see this comparison at all - the two guys are almost nothing alike. If you mean he could eventually have success, then I suppose that’s possible, but that success would look a lot different.

Either way, I hope he gets a shot.

I think its a smart move. Good for us too as his college will always be listed as Houston now if he makes it.

1 Like

Wish him the best, but he’s got a lot of work to do to make an NFL roster. He must have been convinced he wasn’t going to play much in 2018. He handled his situation here well, and I hope he hooks on with a team that can develop his skills.

There used to be school of thought re Jordan Palmer: First thing he did in the morning, even before his morning pee, was throw an interception. Haha.

Instead he will enter an NFL draft that has a clear top-tier among quarterbacks with Josh Rosen (UCLA), Sam Darnold (USC), Josh Allen (Wyoming) and Heisman Trophy winners Lamar Jackson (Louisville) and Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma).

NFL draft analysts believe Allen will get a look because of his 6-3 frame and arm strength. Most early projections have Allen being selected late in the draft.

I need to become an NFL GM. These guys are idiots if they draft a guy who couldn’t produce ON the field but looks good OFF it? Meanwhile an undrafted Case Keenum is throwing darts out there every Sunday.

5 Likes

You didn’t even have to say his name but it is the personification of Rick Smith.

2 Likes

It’s the ego of all coaching staffs, we can teach this kid to do X,Y and Z. But we can’t teach anyone how to be 6’3" and natural arm talent. Don’t get me wrong I’m with you that the reasoning is dumb, but it’s just what scouts and coaches think. And it’s that way all through the football system.

1 Like

Yes, but when you can make every throw that’s needed to win and can manipulate the pocket so well, the level of competition shouldn’t matter. How people who get paid to judge talent can miss that is beyond me.

I hope he can learn from his not so good “Darts”. Floaters will cost him dearly, especially at this level!

1 Like

If he either gets drafted, or signed as a free agent, it’ll be on the basis of his raw athletic gifts; gifts which can’t really be taught.

Whether there is a coach out there that can harness that athletic potential at the pro level remains to be seen.

More than one coach has failed to do so at the college level, and based on what I’ve seen, I’m skeptical that anyone will be able to at the pro level either, but I’ll withhold judgment until he gets his chance.

In any event, he got a degree from UH, so that makes him a fellow alum.

2 Likes

I agree with you. I think he will succeed i mean there was a post earlier showing that none of the top quarterbacks drafted have produced how keenum has. I believe if given the chance his raw talent could be molded. We just didnt have the Oline to help him. Tom Brady also had a high interception rate in college with athletic gifts and was drafted late so it gives me hope. Hes also like you said an Alum (more hope 3 awesome QB in NFL)

1 Like

I think the comparisons to Keenum is an insult to Case. One QB lit it up at the college level, the other could not stay on the field due to poor decision making. We can talk about measurables all day but throwing interceptions every 8 passing attempts will get you benched. For a quarterback in the NFL, it doesn’t get easier either. The players he threw picks to this year are probably a fraction as good as the ones on an NFL roster. Wish him the best, but let’s be realistic. lol

5 Likes

No one should have any ill-will toward Allen.

1. He chose to transfer here losing a year of eligibility, when he could’ve picked a P5, or even FCS program to play right away.
  2. He was hampered with at best unimaginative play-calling that started from his first game.
  3. The Tech game was held in the blazing hottest time of the Houston day which again led to a tough outing.
  4. His successor Postma himself eventually got benched as well to King.
  5. And finally he had no guarantees how he would fit in the 2018 offense, much less with a brand new OC.

Him going pro also is a better look for UH since, as mentioned, with any success, he’ll be tied to here instead of say an FCS team.

3 Likes