Kyle Allen gonzo

i didnt blame it on the system only, i said he made plenty of bad decisions…
he was also 16-8 in the SEC West as a true freshmen and sophomore with above average stats, lets not revise it to make it seem like he was horrible at a&m, he only really had 1 horrific game and that was vs the #1 team in the nation…his stats in a way harder league were way better than the aac

also when allen was qb, king was hurt (wr) and ellis was still starting…all 3 starting wr ran a 4.7 or slower, catalon at that time was getting 2yds a carry and allen himself runs a 4.7… in an offense based on short predictable pass, please tell me where you expected the big plays to come from?? he was at a disadvantage in our offense with his skillset…i put plenty of blame on his decision making…but you have to put some blame on the system or you are just being biased

1 Like

Whatever his talent shakes out to be will be on him. However, Coachv made a comment that reflects poorly on Coachv, not on Kyle Allen. You don’t need to demean a player cv, especially not a UH student athlete.

2 Likes

Not demeaning just stating what I see. He looks like a million dollars till the lights go on. Very similar to O’Korn

I was also the one who said the best QB among freshman would be Ward when everyone was breathlessly panting about O’Korn.

That’s not entirely true. O’Korn did really good his freshman year. His sophomore year things fell apart tremendously. The question is was that on him or was that his supporting cast. I heard from multiple sources that he told on someone that was smoking dope on the team and as a repercussions several of the wide receivers ran wrong routes and deliberately tried to make him look bad.

Of course that is subjective and we will never know but I find it hard to believe he was making some of the passes that he was making as a freshman and all of a sudden he was unable to make as a sophomore.

He was hit or miss at Michigan, but then again the competition was better and most of his appearances was from him platooning not as a consistent starter.

the loss of meachem screwed him over imo. bush should have never been named the OC and he definitely shouldn’t have had playcalling duties. The rumors about the him and the team is true, but I still think the main reason he struggled as a sophomore was because of Levine losing meachem.

2 Likes

That is a huge point that I forgot about. Totally agree! I remember thinking that at the time it happened because Meachem was always there to talk to him after each play. Bush was awol.

Sir, no more posts needed from you the rest of the day. You’ve done your part. An angel has his wings now.

since we were just talking about this, kyle just did an interview with espn

http://www.espnsa.com/4pm-hour-blitz-2-27-18/

summary if you don’t want to listen:

–jordan palmer (carson plamers borther, elite qb coach) he runs an elite qb combine camp and said the camp is invite only, currently with sam darnold and josh allen…he think kyle allen is every bit as good as those 2, and performs better than them depending on the day in the camp. he is certain kyle will be a nfl starter

– kyle doesn’t regret anything, houston and a&m were special to him

– hasnt spoken to kevin sumlin and kyler murray but holds no ill will towards them

– notes how his inability to run played into his lack of success here with the scheme, but his goal then became to be the best backup qb in the nation

– hosts asks him what he needs to do to get 3rd round or higher, he says that’s out of his control. later notes he fully expects to be late round, maybe even UDFA. he is perfectly fine with that. he just wants a team who believes in him

– notes that he doesn’t really need money, so the round (and signing bonuses attached to them) isnt a big deal, so staying another year to improve his stock or trying to get into the higher rounds isnt as important to him. he just wants a team to give him a chance who believes in him.

– he notes that staying would have been a gamble aswell, why not gamble on himself to win over 1 team

– the host thinks he has a great chance to be picked up with how he won over jordan palmer and how he won them over in the interview and how he handled all the tough questions and was prepared to keep answering them. they think he can do the same with atleast 1 nfl team

7 Likes

Idk why, but this statement doesn’t make sense to me. He didn’t lose the starting job because he couldn’t run. King and Postma were better passers than him, statistically so to speak. They just so happened to be more mobile than Kyle. He doesn’t need to be a dual threat to have success here, or in the NFL. I know it probably wasn’t intentional, but it just seems like a cop-out statement by KA.

I don’t know. He literally never ran on the read option. So it just became a ‘slow handoff’ that was easily defensed. And when a bread & butter play for you is easily defense that’s a big problem.

4 Likes

to play devils advocate…

running in last years offense dramatically improved passing. the whole point of the offense is a numbers game…if the qb is a threat to run you have to remove someone from coverage to shadow him… making passing dramatically easier… a non-runner would have had a harder time passing in this offense…like coogcheese just said he was never a threat to run

• in hermans offense till this very day no pure passer has had any full season success …dating from cardale jones to his 2 qbs at texas now…no pure passing qb has had success in hermans system (which is what we ran last year)

• “He doesn’t need to be a dual threat to have success… in the NFL” which is exactly his point… almost every nfl team runsa pocket passing offense, completely different from a read-option…his hope is that a nfl exec sees his struggles in this offense doesnt mean he’lll struggle in that offense

All understood. However, when the designed play was to throw the ball, how well did he fair? He wasn’t turning the ball over to linebackers (save the tech game), he was throwing it to DBs. To take it a step further, how important is the read option to majority of offenses in the NFL? It’s hardly/never ran. The question is, how can he adjust to “having” to throw the ball against NFL DB talent? That’s what’s concerning. If he would have said, the OLine under preformed last year (which I’m sure he wouldn’t have said), then that would be more applicable to his skill set,and another reason why he failed. It has little to due with being mobile.

Not that I’m a KA apologist, because I’m not, but just what scheme did we run last year? Maybe that is his point. Throw on top of that our Oline troubles and it’s obvious why someone more mobiel like Postma or King needed to take over. Oline play was feast or famine last year.

When he was the QB we literally abandoned the zone read. We were supposed to be a “Power-Spread” offense, but toward the end we tried to roll the QB out, move the pocket more and get throws off. KA was mobile enough to move with the pocket; there QBs in the NFL that do this all the time Drew Brees come to mind. Again, mobility is not an adequate excuse IMO.

becuase we have burners at wr?..all 3 wr we had when he was starting? ellis, dunbar and bonner ll all 4.7 wr (king injured)

when explaining why our offense was flawed last year… i like to point to the rice game…because everything went right…

rices defense was horrible but it was still taking us 10 plays to score touchdowns…we didnt have 1 huge play in that game, despite moving the ball with ease…if we could have scored quickly we would have…

i once said this before, everyone including myself questions allen’s decision making …but he had to hit 8/9 passes every drive just to have a chance to score with our offense…but if you look at an okstate, they needed only 2 or 3 good passes to score per drive, as they had big play potential…what we might consider high rate of bad decision, might just be a regular rate of bad decisions on having to pass the ball alot more

Herman offense/read option is built on qb running and short passes to fast wr …(herman never wanted bonner to start at slot, but was forced because of injury)…last season we had a qb who could run and no fast wr

in an nfl team its completely different

Speed has little to due with making good passes. Dunbar and Bonner are excellent receivers. Also DA ran a 4.7. We need the source on the 40 times for the others you mentioned.

You answered your own question, he did well against Rice, but what about other competition (see my above argument)? He doesn’t get a pass on a week to week basis based on the talent level he faces.

We did better with King in, so why is that important? Look at King’s passing numbers, look at KA’s. They aren’t the same.

I think you mean zone read. Read option implies there is a man to pitch the ball to when the QB pulls on the first read. We ran a variation of that, but they are RPO’s (mostly sweeps and pre-snap motion by the WR). Also, Herman had Bonner and Dunbar; Allen and DA were not burners either. DA was quicker than he is fast (top-end), hence the 4.7 at the NFL combine. You don’t need burners to compete a pass to the person on your team; you need people who can get open and catch. He had that in Bonner and Dunbar. As far as the NFL reference, I’m confused on what you mean.

you keep rehashing the same bad points

1. ayers ran a 4.5 in his pro day…anyone who watched him knew he played faster than 4.7…also noting that ward could run…my point was revolved around lack of running “and” lack of speed at qb…

2. my rice point went right over your head…ill just state it. that even when we got every pass we wanted , almost non of it was a big play, we had to have double digit plays every drive…that if we couldnt get big plays in that game this offense wasnt built for that…and a passing qb thus was at disadvantage

3. your king point is meaningless…i already explained this…king can run, teams had to remove players from coverage to shadow him, dbs also werent allowed to turn their back on him… using his passing numbers compared to allen is weak argument

4. read option and zone read are the same in nature it doesnt have to be a pitch…but thats besides the point, no need to argue semantics
    NFL 101: The Read Option - YouTube

5. and rebutting your last point, DA ran a 4.5 in his proday and was dynamic…which the nature of point… stating ayers combine numbers on a sprained wrist doesnt prove your point that ward had no fast wr

and you keep missing the key word “and” …the offense relied on fast wr and a running qb … a lack of a running qb is fine is you have fast wr, and a lack of fast receivers is fine on a running qb… they balance each other. running qb can create easier wr more open routes and a fast wr create easier running lanes for a qb (who might not be as athletic)

not sure why you are so steadfast…applewhite himself said allen was the best passing qb on the team and said it a way that it wasnt really that close…when postma was put in, applewhite often noted about his ability to run opened things up (hinting allen didn’t have that feature)
right now allen is in an elite invite only qb camp…where he is with 2 top 3 picks…the person running the camp swears up and down allen is just s good as them…

everyone who has been around him says he his great…he is a passing qb, every passing qb who has ever been in this offense has struggled…EVERY ONE… but to you he just wasnt good

let me be clear: im not a allen homer, i publicly said he should have been benched even before the tech, but at the time i clearly stated he didnt fit this offense with our current style and personnel

Pesik wins.

Fatality.

2 Likes

A coin has two sides. Kyle did not adapt or adapt his game to our offense. At the same time our Coaches did not give him any favors by not using his best traits/attributes. So it is on him and on the Coaching staff. When Briles was brought in you can be sure that this was one of the deciding factor. How could CMA fail so miserably? King played well at times but the entire QB squad did not do well. Again, that is on the Coaching staff/CMA. I wish Kyle all the luck but he has to look deep down in his heart and decide how much he wants this. Only him knows.

1 Like

I’m convinced Manster and Pesik are the same person. Are you being for serious right now with that logic?

I don’t think those are accurate times.Playing faster than a 40 time doesn’t help your point about us not having fast receivers. You’re the one who used 40 times as a reference for an effective receiver, so what’s it going to be? Production on the field or 40 times? You’re contradicting yourself. Per NFL dot com DA’s official measurable are below:

my rice point went right over your head…ill just state it. that even when we got every pass we wanted , almost non of it was a big play, we had to have double digit plays every drive…that if we couldnt get big plays in that game this offense wasnt built for that…and a passing qb thus was at disadvantage

You’re using one game and applying it to the entire season of production? That’s extrapolating, and it’s not relevant. We also had explosive plays that game.

So when they adjusted and King had to pass, how well did he do? I’ll say better than Kyle. Again, KA was not getting it done passing the ball, whether he could run or not.

Yes, they are similar but let’s not get them confused when trying to make a point. It doesn’t help a point when you get them confused.

What are you even saying? You were making the suggestion that the reason why our offense was stagnant was the fact that KA had no fast receivers to throw to. That’s false and football IQ would suggest that there is more to playing the receiver position than being fast. He also didn’t run a 4.5. See above post.

Are you trolling me? lol “a lack of fast receivers is fine on a running qb”. I’m not even responding to that.

I’m sure CMA was talking about his physical traits, not mental traits. Also, where is the source for this information. Post it please. As far as the camp guy, I’m sure he was also talking about measurables. If he thinks KA is as good as the other two based on the sample that we have, he’s an idiot.

Allen has made excuses after every destination he’s left. First at aggy, he blamed it on the culture. He comes to our college, doesn’t preform well, get’s interviewed, and blamed it on the offensive scheme. Do you not see the pattern there? When he can’t run, or isn’t running an Air Raid at the next level, what will be his excuse? Let me also be clear, I wish the best for Kyle, but the comparisons to Keenum (I’m not saying you did it, but others have), and implying his 5-star rating makes up his passing blunders need to stop. He did not do well here or at aggy. We can’t assume it will get better with stiffer competition in the NFL. That’s not sound logic. There NFL QBs with way more productive college careers than KA that got drafted and did stay on a roster. He might get a UDFA deal, but will he turn the ball over?