Kyle Allen lays out Houston's way forward after Tom Herman

Good article. Really makes me feel better about Allen if he is the starter.

Kyle Allen lays out Houston’s way forward after Tom Herman
http://amp.timeinc.net/si/college-football/2017/07/18/kyle-allen-houston-texas-am-tom-herman?source=dam

BF: Even though you still have two seasons of eligibility remaining, I think for a lot of people it probably feels like a long time since you were that five-star recruit headed to A&M and then became the starter. What’s been the biggest change you’ve made since those days?

KA: Just from a mental and a maturity standpoint has been the biggest thing. I was thrown in there really early as a freshman at A&M. I didn’t know what it really took to be a successful college quarterback. In just the past year and a half, to sit back and really observe [former Houston quarterback Greg Ward] especially, and observe college football in general, I realized what it took. I don’t think I had a good enough view on that being thrown in there right away.

I didn’t really have someone at A&M who I could mirror my habits off of. When I got there, it was me and Kenny [Hill] battling for the spot. I was doing what I think is right. Now, I get to come here and I see Greg. He is one of the hardest workers I’ve ever been around. It was good to see someone who had those habits, and Coach Applewhite helped me build those habits too.

6 Likes

Good interview

Thank you for posting. He is given a new start so it is on him to fulfill his potential. His footwork, timing and decision making was bad when he was at atm. By the way so much for scumlin the QB expert. I can’t wait to see how he rebounds. How well does he respond to the blitz and how well will our run game be? When is the first game…yes, not soon enough.

1 Like

That interview is showing considerable maturity for a young man. He knows what he needs to work on, he evaluated his decision to come to UH based upon culture and draft-ability (it doesn’t hurt to have 3 guys drafted two years in a row), and he had a plan for the coaching change. I am glad he decided to stay.

2 Likes

Showed maturity, but also honesty. It was a good read.

2 Likes

One thing to note: Kyle Allen and Ed Oliver will most likely be in the same draft class. Could UH have two 1st rounders in the 2019 Draft? Discuss…

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s likely. I think if Kyle Allen looks even vaguely draftable this year, he’s gone, and if he doesn’t he’s probably not going in the first in 2019. I don’t know his grade situation, but I could even plausibly see him doing the whole graduate transfer thing.

Article says he’ll graduate in the fall.

I think you’re right and he’ll either go pro or transfer. My guess is that he’s going pro unless he suffers an injury.

It just dawned on me. We have a longhorn coach and an Aggie qb. I’m watching his “bad” alabama game. He has some zip.

Curious to see Allen’s ability to avoid the rush. Ward’s strength was his ability to keep plays alive. I don’t know if there was a stat kept on sacks avoided but my guess would be Ward was close to tops in the nation the last two years.

Hopefully the offensive line stays healthy and plays better than last year. Also ditching the run off tackle play in bad down and distances when the line wasn’t getting much of a push.

He is going to have to have one heck of a season to even think about going pro. His 2 seasons at A & M were full of promise, but total results were mixed. He actually lost his starting job during his second season to Murray.

1 Like

Forget all the micro-criticism about this, that, or the other. You can forget that he got demoted at ATM too. I just went back and refreshed my memory watching about 20 minutes of KA video.

That kid is one, wicked #%# talent.

Being demoted could be chalked up to a bad situation or coaching which it seems everyone is in agreement on. Allen’s got talent and the NFL often will overlook production if you have measurables and talent.

But I also make the “going pro” prediction because every time I see an interview with/about him, he’s looking at the next step and I don’t think he sees this as a two year gig. To be honest, I think that could be a good thing as if he does get drafted, that should bump our profile more and it should placate guys like King and Smith (especially King as I’m very worried about him transferring out).

1 Like

Murray and Allen got caught up in recruiting politics at A&M. Murray was promised playing time and Sumlin and the OC at the time did not manage the situation well ending up with two quarterbacks frustrated and wanting out.

Regarding King, my opinion of course, but I don’t see him at quarterback. When on the field last year he made Ward look tall. I would hope he would focus on slot receiver where he could make a statement and possible future. He could still be an emergency answer at QB.

I think the quarterback future lies with Smith and Amie.

2 Likes

Let’s be fair there are reasons why he failed at atm. He is given another chance and from now on he starts on a clean slate. During the itw he mentioned what he needs to work on. What concerns me is what he showed during the Spring game. His footwork was still very questionable same for some of his passes/decisions. Granted only minimal footage was shown. There is a big difference between natural abilities and converting plays. Kyle has to show major improvements this year in his entire body of work. He has no choice or his N.F.L. future looks very bleak. I look for him to take a major step up. He has no choice. You can be sure that he is going to face the blitz time and time again. Teams might think of him as soft and is a major target for defenses. A competitor is born when facing adversity not when talking to the media. Yes, its a cliche but we all learn more from losing/failing than winning.

1 Like

Ward was very smart during his U of H career. His vision of the game and his instant understanding of the defense was paramount to his success. His football iq was off the charts. IMO if he had been a couple of inches taller he would be playing QB in the N.F.L. I would not be surprised if he plays QB in some situations. Gotta make the team first.

3 Likes

Smith isn’t much taller than Ward; Amie is definitely taller. You’re right in that King is smaller than Ward; did have a much stronger arm though and was a higher rated QB recruit than both Smith/Amie. He’s a special talent and I’d like to see him get the chance.

I believe my worry with King potentially transferring lies in the fact that we got him to Houston by promising him a chance to be QB. Might be able to convince him to hang around one year to continue to repair his knee, but I think he’d transfer if he’s told he’ll be a WR the following year. He’d have offers from other G5s if he did decide to transfer.

The decision that benefits the Coogs on the field the most needs to be made. My opinion is that: first, Allen will need two years of production to reestablish himself as an NFL prospect again; second, If Allen is more capable of getting wins than King, then King’s feelings are irrelevant. King should know this. If you want the QB job, you have to earn it.

3 Likes

If our OL plays up to its potential and our running backs blow through the holes, that will give Allen plenty of opportunity to show off his golden arm. If Allen should fail to get the job done, or perhaps the OL is still subpar, then we could see King or Smith step in…

Agreed in regards to King, and, just to clarify, my feelings up above are just my feelings and King may have no intention to transfer. Considering that he was willing to move to WR last year, he seems to be willing to do what’s needed for the team.