Kyle Allen lays out Houston's way forward after Tom Herman

You fellas talking about height is kinda weird. Not saying you’re wrong, it’s just what folks at UT/TAMU/Etc. have said about Andre Ware, Case Keenum, Greg Ward. Our last “prototypical” QB has left the team and is now a back-up at Michigan. I hope Allen exceeds his expectations from 2 years ago. But if he doesn’t, I’m not gonna count King out.

1 Like

Either Smith or Amie needs to RS,because there is not enough distance between the QB’s on the roster. If Allen returns (for a second year), out goes King; if King wins the starting gig, then Smith weighs options; if Smith redshirts, then pressure will be put on Amie to weigh his options. :sweat: Do we take a QB every cycle just in case?

I believe Amie will be a senior in high school.

I can’t see a scenario where Smith does not RS this year. I hope both he and the coaching staff are aware of that he absolutely HAS to RS for things to move smoothly.

1 Like

A lot of people would have to get hurt for Smith to play QB this year.

Lol let’s hope that’s not the case (after last year). KA for the AAC championship!

1 Like

UCLA 2010

Maybe, but Allen and King would have to be out for the season and then you still have Postma and McClendon who would probably be ahead of Smith on the depth chart this year.

It’s impossible to tell at this point. If Allen struggles in fall scrimmages and Smith comes in looking like the next Andre Ware, it will be hard for Applewhite to pass on. Any new coach would like to start his career with a guy that will be his QB for his first 4 years. Also going 7-5 with a true freshman QB looks better for your long term job security than 8-4 with a redshirt junior QB transfer.

Please name the last G5 team that started a true freshman QB and finished the year at 7-5 or better. None come to mind.

I see what you are saying, but it has been done. Kellen Moore (2008), Boise State was 8-0 in conference and 12-1 overall. The irony of that is Smith is rated higher than what Kellen was, and Boise State is what we are trying to model our G5 success after.

McClendon? Didn’t he walk on? I don’t see the number 21 ranked dual-threat QB staying off of the field for too long. There is too much talent in comparison to others who have sat and didn’t push for starting time. I think the order would be Postma, King, Smith, Sells, McClendon.

1 Like

FYI, Kellen Moore redshirted his freshman year at Boise State in 2007, and then (after a full year of getting familiar with their offensive system) he started as a red-shirt freshman in 2008.

After further reflection, I think that Kevin Kolb may be the only UH QB to start his first game as a true freshman, and we did finish the 2003 season at 7-5. However, Kevin Kolb had already played for 4 years in the Art Briles offensive system at Stephenville HS before coming to UH. A truly unique and very different circumstance.

McClendon is under scholarship now and was running #2 during the spring scrimmages games (due to King not being cleared and Postma being out). I don’t think he’s the long term answer, but I can’t see them burning Smith’s redshirt during the season unless Allen/King are projected to be out for the season.

Also, Sells quit football.

Look, it’s not out of the question that Smith comes in, lights the world on fire, and gets the starting nod, but as of right now, before he’s even taken a practice snap, there would have to be a lot to happen for him to be starting at any point this year.

I’d question, and I hope the administration would question, the coaching abilities of our head coach and OC if they decide to go with a true freshman QB over a former #1 rated QB and another very highly rated QB recruit and we only finished 7-5. 7-5, under any circumstances, would be disastrous for the program this year.

I’d be more apt to say that if the program goes with a former top rated QB transfer and finishes 8-4, Applewhite will be immediately on the hot seat. The whole point of using transfers instead of your younger players is to win immediately. You don’t use transfers in “rebuilding” years. (unless you are James Dickey)

Curious why it has to be a G5 team anyway? It’s not like G5 teams that go 7-5 get a lot of publicity and they certainly don’t get votes for the top 25 so wouldn’t it that be a bit harder to look up? I suppose it’s because you want to eliminate all the easy ones? Matt Barkley, Chris Leak, Matt Stafford, Tom Savage, Phillip Rivers, Terrelle Pryor, Chad Henne and others just in the last 20 years.

Its all talk and extrapolation at this point. Kyle has to deliver period. Major can’t afford a bad start. What I appreciate is a healthy competition with players pushing each other. You do read/hear from time to times when a player mention that training can be harder than an actual game. Steve Young said it countless of times. His training days with Joe Montana made him what he became. I do not expect that we have Young and Montana. What I want to hear is that we have a fierce training camp and training sessions. Let the best win Kyle or not.

He’ll be on the hot seat with either QB if we finish 8-4. Program can’t afford a mediocre season; may not be fair, but Applewhite knew that when he took it on.

Reason being, we may be able to stay in the 18K-21K season ticket range because of the decent home schedule this year: Tech, Rice, SMU, Memphis, Navy. However, we have to have a winner this year to maintain ticket sales for next year as the home schedule is dreadful: Arizona, USF, Temple, Tulsa, Tulane, TSU. Trying to sell new tickets for that home slate coming off a 7-5 or 8-4 year will be difficult to say the least. We’ll basically be right back where we were during the Levine years.

1 Like

Wait, I’m a little confused. Who made the argument that Smith would start this year?