Kyle Allen looked really good today

Kyle played really well against GB today; 307 yards on 28 of 43 passes, 1 TD and 1 int while being under constant pressure. It really looks like we screwed the pooch on using his talents.

10 Likes

Makes me wonder who else fell victim to those coaches. I feel bad I was so wrong about him.

5 Likes

I am really happy for Kyleā€™s success. However, he made bad decisions on where he threw the ball and when while here. He had a similar problem at aTm.

His arm, his physical attributes were NFL caliber, but letā€™s not get lost in revisionist history. His problem in college was between his ears. I am glad he continued to develop and improve, and now is proving himself and making money doing it.

2 Likes

Yep. He never figured it out in college, but heā€™s making up for it now. Heā€™s not the first guy to go through this process.

2 Likes

He was a square peg in a round hole with the RPO system we were running at the time.

5 Likes

He had one bad game at UH (v TT). His passer rating in 2017 was 141 (v 126 for postma and 154 for dā€™eriq). The revisionist history is saying he sucked with us and we improved greatly with the switch to King (I think we improved, but not as much as everyone on this board posts)

5 Likes

We have not had a QB friendly offense since Keenum left.

1 Like

Last year was pretty QB friendly.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think his problem was between his ears, it was between his tackles. It is pretty hard to read a defense and get your timing down when you are having to look down to catch a snap at your ankles time after time. By the time he looked up, the pocket was collapsing.

7 Likes

he is a QB with a great arm who requires great protection to do his thingā€¦When heavily rushed he often threw poorlyā€¦Passes into the dirt, passes sailing out of boundsā€¦His scrambling ability is poor and he REFUSED to run even when there were obvious openings to do so and pick up big yardageā€¦
He needed to go to a school like Wisconsin or Michiganā€¦someplace with dominant OL where he could drop back and have all day to throwā€¦Negatives still outweigh positives as far as being a good college QB. i thinkā€¦

2 Likes

He cannot handle pressure. He could not here and does the same thing in the NFL. He turns the ball over under pressure. Now if you give the guy time he will pick you apart. I think once he learns how to read the defense quicker he will be a good QB. He did not fit the Vince Young mold in the Briles/ Meyer spread option style offense that we ran here. Both of those offenses use the mobility of the QB. He is more like the Mike Leach style spread, OK spread, and OKS spread. Those offenses want the QB to stay in the pocket and stay looking up field to throw the ball to WR or RB. I do hope he makes it and turns into a good pro QB.

1 Like

Iā€™m still not sure how Herman convinced him to come here. I do wonder if Herman would have gotten better results out of him.

1 Like

Want to torture yourself? Imagine we had better coaching in 2017, and Allen has an all-conference (or better) season. King redshirts. This year, heā€™s a junior, and weā€™re 6-3.

6 Likes

Amen Revā€¦preach the truth.

2 Likes

Most QBā€™s canā€™t handle the pressure when it is overwhelming. Iā€™ve watch Rodgers, Manning, Brees, and even Brady make bad passes or fold in the pocket when the rush was overwhelming. And Russell Wilson just now on TV. KA was up against an overwhelming rush the entire game and aquitted himself well. No need to knock him because he didnā€™t do well in a couple of games at UH.

6 Likes

Sadly, King wouldnā€™t have redshirtedā€¦he was already playing WR after coming back from injury and probably would have continued to do so if Allen or Postma had remained the starter. Theyā€™ve said that they literally pulled him out of the WR room for the USF game in order to start him that season and that he hadnā€™t taken a QB snap in practice all season.

Looking at the possible history of what happened, itā€™s very likely that Quentin Dormady wins the job last year if King hadnā€™t taken a snap the year before. King would likely have finished his career out as a RB/WR hybrid this season with either Tune as the starter or a JUCO/transfer brought in to start.

1 Like

Patrick, please let me live in a fantasy world where Herman doesnā€™t waste Kingā€™s freshman year with snaps at WR that didnā€™t really help the team, and where the coach who comes after Herman (letā€™s say itā€™s Holgorsen), sees King for what he is, and develops him behind Allen, so he can be a three-year starter. Can we do that, please? :wink:

3 Likes

Sorry, Jeff, didnā€™t mean to rain on your parade. :yum:

1 Like

Kyle Allen did not look really good today. Heā€™s throwing an alarming number of interceptions and leading his team away from the playoffs.

1 Like

Yeah he was looking like his college self