LA Times/Los Angeles Daily News/OCRegister - On Case Keenum

Man. I wish folks would get excited about Case more than he’s just “a game manager.” I think they’ll be surprised.

Just hoping he has a good year and gets a big contract somewhere to be their starter; Brees-like situation.

http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Practice-Report-98-Keenum-Ready-for-1st-Opening-Day-Start/453e9430-31ca-4222-8d48-5034f331be18

How refreshing it is to watch Case.

Case has the job now and a coaching staff that will turn him loose to do what he can do. Case will prove his mettle on the field and silence his doubters.

2 Likes

Rams QB Case Keenum gearing up for first Week 1 start

The backdrop was carried into the locker room, Case Keenum took his place in the middle of it and a mob of media members swelled around him late Thursday afternoon, four days before the Los Angeles Rams will open their season. Then came the first question …

Case, your first NFL start. What’s it like?

“Well … it’s my 16th NFL start, just so you know,” Keenum said. “So, I have done it before.”

Complimentary article by John Royal :scream: Didn’t know he had it in him

Case Keenum Continues to Prove His Doubters Wrong

Then again, Keenum was never supposed to be the star quarterback at UH. That was supposed to be Blake Joseph. And the Texans only played Keenum out of desperation even though he was perhaps the only Texan QB since David Carr who could actually hit Andre Johnson in stride on a deep pass. And last year, the Rams traded for Foles and gave him a huge contract, only to see him lose the job to Keenum. Foles, like Schaub, looked like an NFL quarterback. Just like Goff looks like an NFL quarterback. And yet these guys all keep losing their jobs to Keenum.

I am so happy for Case. The guy has gotten everything he has the hard way – he earned it while others were given it because they fit the physical metrics that coaches look for in QB’s. You know, tall, strong armed, charisma and QB for big P5 team. When will they ever learn? Well, I think Case will be doing some teaching this fall.

2 Likes

Case is horrible for 6-3+, high round pick, average QB’s. He makes them look expendable.

1 Like

So was Drew Breese and Russel Wilson, but people keep over valuing body types.

Same writer updated later in the day.

GO Case!

Obviously it was not good.

Early reports.

No, it wasn’t. At least the first link was semi-level-headed and didn’t put it all on Keenum. The O-Line was Terrible, the running game couldn’t get going because of that, and the receivers didn’t do Keenum any favors. Still, Keenum wasn’t sharp and the second interception was awful on his part.

It’s only Game 1, but the offense is going to have to do better if Case expects to start the rest of the season. Too bad they traded all those picks away; would have been nice to use some of them on the line or a playmaking receiver.

100% agree. There is a huge problem for Case. He is “stuck” with Boras. I have watched every of their games last year and Boras play calling was really not any better than Cignetti. It makes no sense to make a trade for Goff, trade away all of these draft picks to get an "inexperienced"OC Coach. Yes, he has had some “Stops” but the last time I checked they were plenty of proven OC’s available. This is on their G.M.
Young is 100% right you can’t expect to fool anyone if you either run or call for lateral passes. Boras knew, knows Case’s strength. He is not calling the plays to make it “easy” on him, He had the entire off season to put together a set of plays designed for Case. Remember they kept saying that he is their starter. The Rams can’t only rely on a running game if they have no protection to open up some holes. The same goes for the passing game. They barely used their tight ends. This would have been a big plus for them. They have no choice but to already rethink what they want to do offensively. The good news is that there is another game in a few days. Go get them Case.

Keep in mind that the LA Daily News and OC Register share the same sports writers.

Apologies if I already posted these.

The hard truth for Cougar fans is that Case Keenum deserves equal criticism along with the rest of that offense. I love Case, and I think he should have his number retired at UH. He deserves to be in the Cougar Hall of Fame. He waited and worked for the chance to be a NFL starter (I think he deserves that position over Goff and Mannion), and now that he has it, he played poorly.

I think if he had got them a TD on that drive in the 3rd qtr people would be saying something different, but he throws a pick at the worst possible time - right when they were getting back in the game. That doesn’t mean the Rams would have won the game, but he needed to be as mistake free as possible not to make the situation worse. I don’t see this Rams team improving. They were absolutely and completely horrible on offense from the play-calling, to blocking, to receiving, and yes even to quarterbacking. Defenses are going to load the box and force Keenum to beat them with his arm. He has to deliver.

I will not however be an apologist for Case. Whether it is fair or not, he has to be a major difference maker for the Rams. He has to make the throws and take care of the ball. Case has to make this situation work, because I think this will be his only shot to start in the NFL. If he doesn’t make it work, he will be relegated to back up status permanently, and if it is really bad, out of the league all together.

That is a very fair assessment and I am sure Case feels the same way. He is a born competitor and he will rebound.

2 Likes