Let’s try a long kick

Our short kicks, including the first one in the Memphis game are giving opponents starts at the 35-40 yard line. Why not try a long kick like most other schools?

4 Likes

Rational thought and common sense recommendations have no place on Coogfans.

7 Likes

As a former kicker/punter… the squib should only be used if you are winning and trying to avoid a return late in the 4th.

4 Likes

Wasn’t that the freshman?

Nevermind… I stand corrected.

I had not even been aware of who is doing kickoffs. We have seen MANY kicked into the endzone and I gotta agree, it was the safest thing to do yesterday.

Yesterday I began to think coaches had little respect for their ability to return or (after checking the roster and the kicker) we were giving a new kid some reps for next year.

Has he been kicking all year? Sheesh, my bad. (no sarcasm, just admitting I spoke out of my posterior.

FYI - Memphis came into our game ranked in the Top 10 in the country in kick-off returns averaging 25+ yards per return with 2 so far for TDs. I thought that the our special teams were the highlight of the game for UH. We blocked a punt for a TD and we didn’t give up a long punt return or a long kick-off return.

3 Likes

This is all true and even if the ST Coordinator called for the kicker to kick into the end zone, which he did not, Memphis is also known for returning out of the end zone.
The ST Coordinator makes the calls on how the kicker kicks.

1 Like

Plus Memphis usually returns 3 or 4 for TDs against us every year

The way we tackle? Squib is by far our best option if we can’t guarantee a touch back.

Dad gum it . . . . . some one actually claiming a coach made a good decision . . . . .

Sumlin pooch kicked for a full year and a half. I hated it.

1 Like