Lexie Elkins Joins Houston Softball Coaching Staff

Elkins replaces Jessica Shults, who left to coach softball in the private sector.

Former No. 1 overall National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) draft pick Lexie Elkins has joined the University of Houston Softball staff as an assistant coach, Head Coach Kristin Vesely announced Wednesday.

Elkins will serve as the team’s hitting coach and work with the catchers.

“Lexie has a great offensive mind and has a tremendous amount of knowledge on the biomechanics of hitting,” Vesely said. “As a great hitter herself, she made a major impact at Mississippi State this past season and is a proven winner. We are excited to have her join our staff and the UH family.”

Elkins joins the Cougar family after serving as a volunteer assistant coach with Mississippi State for the 2019 season, when she helped lead the Bulldogs to a 35-23 record and an appearance in the NCAA Seattle Regional final. While with MSU, Elkins assisted with video analysis, produced scouting reports and analyzed offensive and defensive pitching kinematics.

In 2019, Elkins and the rest of the Bulldogs staff produced two NFCA All-Americans, three NFCA All-South Region honorees and three All-SEC First-Team members.

“I am honored to join the Houston Softball family,” Elkins said. “I want to thank Coach Vesely and the Houston administration for this opportunity. I’m excited for the future of this program and I cannot wait to get started.”

“I want to teach these catchers hard work and persistence,” Elkins said. “It’s a tough position, but as a catcher you just have to go out there and get after it every day. I want to teach them how to take care of your pitcher and take care of your defense. If you do those things, everything will fall into place.”

For Elkins, the process is as big a reward as the result.

“My goal for this season is to stick to the process and understand it is a grind,” Elkins said. “You can’t be result-oriented about everything, and I want us to focus on ourselves and bettering ourselves every day rather than just looking at the scoreboard.”