Lots of change coming

What’s not true

1 Like

The statement, “Only one has been enslaved as a race” is not true. There have been slaves all over the world. The Jews, Gypsies, and others were enslaved by the Nazis. Some indiginous Native American tribes enslaved captives from other tribes. There were slaves during the biblical times throughout the countries on the Mediteranian and middle east. There continues to be slavery in Africa to this day.

Edit: I worked with a man who escaped Cuba and was put in a slave labor camp for several years before his escape.

4 Likes

Yes. The Jews have it great.

While i do not believe for a moment that some hunter actually kidnapped a baby and used them for bait, i DO believe that vile postcard showing just that, from 100 years ago…NIGHTMARISH racism of the most vile kind…Sad to think of some white people laughing at it 100 years ago when they saw it…

1 Like

The rioting made up a very small minority of the protests across the country. Yes they happened, and yes they are unacceptable, but we shouldn’t let them define the movement as a whole and distract from the issues at hand.

4 Likes

Freaking Florida, man. What a terrible place. Infamous, still today.

We have learned so much about our AMERICAN history.

WE are and have been something else (kindly stated).

6 Likes

,Well if you read my statement as meaning in the entire World and in all of time. Obiously, pretty much every culture has taken slaves when they conquered, but I was referring to the good old US of A. The only race that I know would be the Black race for 300 or so years.

I hope to heck that the gator bait was a trope and not based in some sort of horrific reality. If you want to read actual historical horrific reality, read about the Tulsa massacre. Yes, I know there have been other atrocities, but the conversation is about BLM.

Pray for healing the greedy and enlightening the ignorant in ourselves, please.

3 Likes

People have always prayed on the weak or what they considered lower class, many of the original colonist came as indentured servants to work the tobacco fields and were treated harshly this mostly ended with the introduction of African slaves. Then we had the Chinese to work the railroads after slavery ended. We take advantage of the Mexican labor to get low cost labor today and most of us buy products made in China and 3rd world countries so we can buy clothes and iPhones at a lower price. Then we talk about the evils of our countries past and then support the practices we profess to hate buy supporting companies paying labor near slave wages because we want Nikes, Levis and electronics for less.

8 Likes

You are correct Red. Slavery has been an institution in the human race since the dawn of mankind and Americas part in this tragedy was in fact miniscule in scope. Many Americans (as evidenced by these forums) would rather self flagellate, condemn, demonize and loathe as though America invented slavery. Over the past dozen years I’ve traveled extensively to Africa and toured 5 of the remaining 30 slave castles in west Africa, and was shocked to find a far different reality on the subject of slavery (and America’s part in it) than I had been taught and raised to believe. Slavery was woven into the very fabric of African society and had been for thousands of years; and they themselves were enslaved in Africa in massive numbers. Some countries were said to have 30 40 or even 50 percent of their populations enslaved. That’s Africans enslaved by Africans and that’s the reason they don’t get why Americans make such a big deal out slavery. Africans will readily tell you the slave trade wouldn’t have existed if they themselves had not actually captured the slaves, but they were already enslaving large amounts of the population anyway. Some African nations didn’t ban slavery until the 1930’s and 1940’s. When Ethiopia finally banned slavery in the 1940’s there were 2 million slaves in the country. Compare that with 500,000 slaves sent to the colonies and USA over a 200 year period. I’m not trying to minimize slavery or Americas involvement; but it needs to be put in perspective. America received about 5% of the slaves from the Atlantic slave route and then assumed 95% of the guilt for slavery.

5 Likes

@TOP25

I’m with you there.

But we can’t ignore our brothers and sisters that go to war with us, live next to us, work with us, their kids and ours. It’s like marriage, if you think your wife is “complaining”… that’s probably the reason you are alone or on your second, third or fourth one.

We need to move on, yes. But we have to first listen, acknowledge, address, try to understand and right the wrongs to the best we can.

Our parents and grandparents generations just swept it under the rug it didn’t go away.

That’s why this next gen is so passionate. They aren’t going to put up with it. The world has changed. We have to be on the right side of history this time man. It’s that simple man.

Just listen. That’s it. You don’t have to agree. Just listen. And then do your own research.

2 Likes

I can only be responsible for my own actions – not yours, not my neighbors, not anyone’s but myself. My actions are guided by the principle of “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” I realize that at times, I have let my temper get the better of me when confronted in an antagonistic manner or engaged is disagreements that evolved into heated language. But, I try to work on it. I will not accept guilt for things I have not done, nor will I for things my ancestors may have been guilty of, nor anything done by any other person just because I am white.

I also believe the men and women of the police force that have conducted themselves within the spirit of the law should not be tainted by the sins of the few who haven’t. They should be given the proper respect due people who put their lives on the line every day they are on the job. These are the vast majority of those who have dedicated their lives to serving the public and protecting our lives and property, often at the detriment of their own.

I will not be controlled by those who label people, who don’t fall into lock step with their ideas, as racists or bigots. I have seen that card played on these boards for years. So, that’s as simple as it gets, treat people like you want to be treated and most times you will be treated that way.

There will always be people in every ethnic group that hate others who are not in that ethnic group; there is nothing I can do about that. I wish it were not true, but history has shown that it will probably always be the case. I just don’t associate with such people, regardless of their ethnicity, be it white, black, brown, or whatever.

8 Likes

Jeepins… You are right about everything in New York and NJ being named after American Indian names… even Manhattan.

What I don’t understand, and believe is clearly racist, is the amount of confederate flags in upstate NY…

Try just a little bit of research. Seriously - in a few clicks you can find this stuff.

Check out the highlighted text form this newspaper: The Roanoke times. [volume] (Roanoke, Va.) 1890-1895, June 20, 1890, Image 3 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/question/2013/may.htm

You and anyone else who does not want to talk about these issues do NOT have to click on any posts about them. Everyone does not have to agree or fall in line. We can’t “wish” these things away. That’s not how any of this works. Let people talk it out.

1 Like

Classic deflection and diverting of attention. No one cares about Africa. We don’t live in Africa and can’t fix Africa. Were Africans responsible for selling slaves to Europeans? Yes some of them. Once here, did Africa have anything to do with what went on in America for 100s of years? No.

People are treating accountability as if it’s something that can just be passed on to the next person. America was implicated from the onset. America needs to face the issues because its issues are its own!

It’s crazy. I can’t wait for the spin about the Native Americans. I’m sure their native homeland (which is America) is responsible for small pox blankets and genocide.

7 Likes

I think it is a little different using a word from the Algonquins for a river, stream, lake, or area then calling the Washington Football team the Redskins.

On another note. Barron De La Warr (Delaware) killed lots of native Americans do we change the name of that state.

One of a long list of names.

Both of those reference the same sources that the snopes article I posted above debunks.