LSU's Orgeron to Pence: WE NEED FOOTBALL!

If anyone looks at this graph, you will see that weekly COVID deaths are PLUMMETING. I am having a very hard time understanding why college football would be cancelled.

2 Likes

Give it a few weeks…my dad passed away from Covid on July 4th…the doctor didn’t file the paperwork till this week. So, there is lag time before they report the deaths to the state. And even then all of these 10,000 positives a day wont results in “actual” deaths for another month from now, at the earliest. The deaths reported now were those when we had under 3,000 caes a day. I have a friend, who has a father that is in critical condition in the ICU right now.

We are going to see the deaths take a very worrisome spike…it’ s already happening. The data hasn’t reflected it yet.

Wait til the eviction freezes and bonus checks expire at the end of the month and suddenly huge numbers of people are homeless, lenders take a bath, real estate values plummet under the weight of foreclosures, credit markets are ruined, and the riots really get going. Or how about when Congress stalemates on budget, government shuts down, debt limit gets hit, and bonds go in the junk drawer.

That’s gonna feel like a great time for football.

3 Likes

That is the “slow count”, it only adds most deaths weeks later. Check out the website below, they get their data directly from counties and it is updated daily accurately. Deaths are up the last week and a half. Currently 760 daily deaths for the 7 day average compared to when we got down to our lowest on July 5th at 515. Texas has almost tripled in that time.

4 Likes

That’s only because the residents of the United States of America did not take the April lockdowns seriously…I mean “don’t leave your house unless it’s for an approved reason” seriously. We did NOT obey!

It’s a human to human transmission virus…without human contact, they virus diminishes. With human interaction, it multiples. It’s a simple math issue.

Americans are too selfish and too egotistical to do what is right for the greater good of our country. Even in strict lock down states…like California, you have enough stubborn residents to sabotage the intent of a lock down.
Compare that to our WWII generation which rationed, obeyed curfews, volunteered, etc. In an effort to work together.

Until we realize this, as they have in Europe, the United States of America will continue to chase it’s tail. The numbers show this… A country that consists of only 4% of the world population is responsible for a quarter of Covid deaths.

I’m really hoping we don’t play a single down of college football this year…that is a recipe for disaster until I’m convinced Americans can control this virus responsibly. Right now, there is ZERO indication that Americans can do that…too many snowflakes on the left and on the right.

4 Likes

I think the uptick in new cases here is a bit scary. We should learn a lot in the next two weeks to see if there is the same uptick in deaths. I can really see why the SEC is waiting until end of July to decide.

@UH1927

Really sorry to hear about your father.

WW2 generation of Europe really knew what it meant to lockdown for years as large parts of the war were fought right in front of them, literally in their backyards. Even recent aggressions. It’s something they actually have experience with.

We haven’t had that sort of experience here in the US recently. Our recent wars have been fought in other people’s countries.

You are right. Americans will never allow themselves to be “locked down” for selfish natural human needs or for the sake of the economy.

1 Like

For reasons you mentioned, that graph probably looked like death counts were crashing even at the height of NY’s pandemic.

??? Here’s current trends for Texas. Heading the wrong way…fast.

2 Likes

2 Likes

this is stupid, we need to get this virus under control so that we can go back to making money…we are going to fall behind the rest of the world if we dont act soon, i love football, but i love this country more, time to get serious

2 Likes

I’m more interested in getting this virus under control so that more people won’t die. Hmmmm … hard to tell your priorities and leanings.

1 Like

Maybe a more relevant chart would be deaths by age groups in 5 or 10 year increments.

uh1927 is spot on. All it takes is for Americans to act responsibly by wearing a mask, practicing good hygiene, and social distancing in order to get the virus under control. It’s simple. Otherwise we’ll continue to see the virus spread with rising death tolls, and the economy will continue sink. No football.

6 Likes

its implied, cant make money with a scared, unhealthy population

Well that certainly clears it up.