Made my day

https://twitter.com/briannagoulet/status/1051563897403133952

5 Likes

You canā€™t really blame non-UT alumni for being Texas fans if theyā€™re from Texas, although I do find this pretty hilarious.

UT is a very competitive school to get into, so there are a lot of kids who grew up Texas fans that couldnā€™t get into their preferred school such as McCombs which is the #1 ranked public business school.

Same thing with the Aggies. I couldnā€™t tell you how many kids I graduated high school with who attend schools like SHSU, Texas State, SFA, Blinn, UTSA, etcā€¦ but go to all the Aggie games wearing Aggie gear.

Much of UT/A&M fanbase are T-shirt fans. Itā€™s not like that with UH. I would say majority of the people that attend UH games are actually alumni.

6 Likes

The tribe they want to belong is UT regardless of their own school. I do know that geographically dislocated fans frequently root for the local college teams. Got a couple of those peeps in our tailgate crew.

If I lived in Eugene, for example, Iā€™d get out to a few Ducks games. However, the guy who went to Texas State right down the highway and wears UT gear has really kicked his own school in the chops. That is a sorry human being.

2 Likes

I hope it stays that way. Once we become a P5 school I hope we dont get T-shirt fans.

Thatā€™s what makes our school special. Most UH fans support UH athletics. We might not be a P5, but weā€™re not a Texas State tier school that doesnā€™t care about their athletics.

Nothing against Texas State, but I know friends who go there and go to UT/A&M games instead of their own, Quite frankly, I canā€™t blame them.

UH Football is more than just tailgating and having a good time. We actually care about our progress both in academics and athletics.

1 Like

Never wanted to go to UT even though both my parents graduated from there.
Never wanted to be an aggie either.

5 Likes

I dont understand why you would pick a team that doesnā€™t have to earn its place.

5 Likes

My degree is from UHD, but UH is my local team. FWIW, I think the fans at FCS and Div II schools can have just as much fun as those at LSU, UH, etc. If Iā€™d graduated from Texas State, Iā€™d hold tickets and be at the games. Probably most of us here would too because we are college football fans.

1 Like

If T shirts fans are part of the dealā€¦bring ā€˜em. As many complaints as I see about lack of fan support, we should never turn them down. Their $ spend as well as ours.

11 Likes

I love t-shirt fans. They weā€™re coming out during the Herman years.

1 Like

We could certainly use about 12,000 t shirt fans a game since the majority of UH 270,000 local alumni donā€™t feel a need to come t9 the games .

9 Likes

Iā€™m with you. We wonā€™t get to where we want to be without some T-shirt fans.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no logical explanation for why ut t-shirt fans irritate me. Itā€™s as if they think being a texas fan is cool, and they want to be with the in-crowd. Go get em. But I would love to see all Houstonians be Coog fans. We are the cool kids.

I live over 100 miles from Houston, and whenever Iā€™m in town, I grab some gear, and it usually stays in my truck for a long time. I give half of it away to people I meet in the barber shop or the bbq place, trying to create fans. There was a young woman with Downs at the barber shop, with her family. She was wearing a tam t-shirt, but left wearing red.

7 Likes

ut and atm benefit from the designation of schools representing Texas. UH represents Houston, like it or not. Pitt has the benefit of a long history and a P5 league, but, they still are Pittsburgh, not Penn State. Consider Temple, really down the totem pole.

Could be worse. We could be called Rutgers and nobody would know itā€™s just the University of New Jersey.

1 Like

Itā€™s way more than T-shirt fans for UT. It is where they are located.

A quick check and I realized that the Austin-San Antonio region has approximately 4.5 million people living in it. Austin area is now over 2 million.

This just may be the largest population region that has no NFL team in the U.S. But its not just the lack of an NFL team. There is just the NBA Spurs in San Antonio and nothing else in regards to NFL, NBA, or MLB.

Then you notice that UT is the only P5 team in that region with Texas A & M and Baylor close by. So, what does the football fans have to do? They can drive to Dallas and Houston to catch a pro game, choose watching bad college football at UTSA or Texas State or make UT the regional pro team replacement.

Thus you have all those T-shirt fans.

UT football is the only ā€œBig Gameā€ game in a region of 4.5 million people, regardless on whether they are good or not

3 Likes

This makes sense. Itā€™s the same reason why everybody in Oklahoma are OU fans and everybody in Nebraska are Husker fansā€¦ they have no other ā€œbig gameā€ options (sorry Thunder)

2 Likes

LSU and Alabama have a ton of Tee-shirt fans.

2 Likes

The propaganda machine that is Austin does a great job of making people think UT is an elite academic school until you look closer. I have a niece and nephew who were in the 3rd quarter of their high school graduating classes in the early 200ā€™sā€¦ They couldnā€™t get in so all they did was go to community college in Austin for a year and they transfer to UT. Then both graduated in 6 short years with History degrees. Not very impressive to me

lol At the thought that UT fans are people that wanted to get into UT but couldnā€™t. Are you kidding me? Are Dallas Cowboy fans ones that wanted to play for the Cowboys but couldnā€™t make the cut?

Fact is, there are a lot of people (including many claiming to be UH fans) that buy into media hype. When they hear the Cowboys are Americaā€™s team or that they won 5 Superbowls almost a quarter century ago, they must be worth watching. Back in the SWC days when UH won several championships, how many times did Texas T-shirt fans go, ā€œyeah, but you havenā€™t won any national championships.ā€ T-shirt fans taking pride in championships that took place before they were a fan or even better, before they were even born.

Back in the 90ā€™s I use to tease my friends that like the Cowboys by doing an experiment at sports bars. I would go up to random females in Cowboys gear and ask if they could name 5 Cowboys. ā€œAikman, ummmm Emmitt of course, ohhh Irvingā€ The propoganda machine is alive and well in America.

Everybody in the state of Arkansas roots for the razorbacks as if they were alumni. Even worse, they cheer for Cowboys on Sunday.